ATH Herb Waters 2012 Senior Highlights

Great clip, kid looks like a heck of an athlete. Nice ball skills, looks like his team utilized his natural abilities in a number of ways.

Advertisement
This kid has SPECIAL PLAYER written all over him. Michael irvin wasn't a burner, but **** he was a **** of a football player. He invented the phrase PLAYMAKER because that is just what he did. Herb reminds me a bit of him in the way he strides and when he scores his touchdowns, he holds the ball in one hand like Irvin used to. Can't wait to see this guy on the field. As for not being fast...Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, James Lofton, Steve Largent, Art Monk, Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith (all of them are All-Time Top 20 NFL receivers) would like to have a word with you.

+1

“A player’s speed in the 40 doesn’t really tell you how fast he is in a game.”
– Bill Walsh

He has great quickness, great change of direction ability, and great burst, which will allow him to get separation from tight coverage.

Needs to get stronger overall and refine his route running skills, and when he does, he could be an explosive playmaker.

Last edited:
This kid has SPECIAL PLAYER written all over him. Michael irvin wasn't a burner, but **** he was a **** of a football player. He invented the phrase PLAYMAKER because that is just what he did. Herb reminds me a bit of him in the way he strides and when he scores his touchdowns, he holds the ball in one hand like Irvin used to. Can't wait to see this guy on the field. As for not being fast...Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, James Lofton, Steve Largent, Art Monk, Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith (all of them are All-Time Top 20 NFL receivers) would like to have a word with you.
Spot on,this kid is a playmaker!!!

Advertisement
6'2"-6'3" now and about 200. Runs a 4.3 now. His fastest run in testing was a 4.33

I think he turned out just fine.

I never thought he was slow at all.

Shown flashes already as a player and has made some big plays. Think this is his year this season. Just needs to be more consistent but he has all the ability.

Always felt he had good game speed. I think 40 times could be misleading even early on in a players career. Which is why I won't read too much into Tyre Brady's 40 right now. Brady looks faster than his time just like Waters did too. And Waters running great times now.

Sometimes some of these kids in high school are not even being reached how to run these 40s. It's all about your start and form.

This thread is proof that you can't buy too much into 40 times. Even early on in players careers. Weight training and speed training in a college program some of these guys explode. Waters is proof.

Last edited:
6'2"-6'3" now and about 200. Runs a 4.3 now. His fastest run in testing was a 4.33

Shown flashes already as a player and has made some big plays. Think this is his year this season. Just needs to be more consistent but he has all the ability.

Always felt he had good game speed. I think 40 times could be misleading even early on in a players career. Which is why I won't read too much into Tyre Brady's 40 right now. Brady looks faster than his time just like Waters did too. And Waters running great times now.

Sometimes some of these kids in high school are not even being reached how to run these 40s. It's all about your start and form.

This thread is proof that you can't buy too much into 40 times. Even early on in players careers. Weight training and speed training in a college program some of these guys explode. Waters is proof.

I have not seen a play in 2 years where it looked like he was a running a 4.3 40 in a game( Don't gimme that busted coverage bomb where no one was on him).... He supposedly ran the same times last year yet I never see it in the game... A guy that fast should be implemented into reverses, screens, short passes to get the ball in his hands.. Never saw it mane...If he is truly running a 4.3 he need to show me in a game..Unfortunately his game speed is still slow. HE times faster than Rashad Greene but it doesn't look like it on film.

Im hoping he proves me wrong, but my instincts tell me he will be a JAG..

Last edited:
I wasnt on the site when he committed but i knew he was a gem when we got him after watching his highlights. i said to several people that he would be a sleeper.

I have not seen a play in 2 years where it looked like he was a running a 4.3 40 in a game( Don't gimme that busted coverage bomb where no one was on him).... He supposedly ran the same times last year yet I never see it in the game... A guy that fast should be implemented into reverses, screens, short passes to get the ball in his hands.. Never saw it mane...If he is truly running a 4.3 he need to show me in a game..Unfortunately his game speed is still slow. HE times faster than Rashad Greene but it doesn't look like it on film.

Unless their lying about his speed by .30, I think Waters is actually pretty fast. Think Dorsett and Coley are a bit faster IMO but he does have speed for his size.

If anything you could shave some time off his run and say 4.4 which is still **** fast.

Coley ran like a 4.5 at some event in high school. And even then i didn't believe that time, thought he was way faster than that.

I know Coley running 4.3s and 4.4s right now but he's always struck me as a 4.3 kind of guy. Coley is elite in change of direction, his stop to start and top end speed.

Guess we'll agree to disagree.

We did use him on a reverse last year for a TD. But never saw them utilize him like that again. He did have a nice year last year, just wish he would be a little more consistent. Had a few big games and others wasn't there, he also fought injuries too. I know he sat out the bowl and I believe one or two of the last two games of regular season. Hope the bulk helps him now to be more durable, so far I don't think he's been a JAG. This season will be very telling, he has shown flashes as a young receiver.

Expecting big things from him this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wasnt on the site when he committed but i knew he was a gem when we got him after watching his highlights. i said to several people that he would be a sleeper.

Same here.

My opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. I do think he is fast. Has deceptive speed. Been watching football for a long time, some guys don't look it but they run faster than you even think, think he's one of those cases.

Reggie ran a 4.4 at the combine, had no idea he was even that fast.

Think some don't realize but anything under 4.5 is pretty **** fast.

Last edited:

His TD his freshman year against duke wasn't busted coverage...and that reverse TD last year wasn't busted coverage...

His TD his freshman year against duke wasn't busted coverage...and that reverse TD last year wasn't busted coverage...

against FAU?? cmon mane when your only highlight was against FAU it validates my point even better. Hes the 5th best WR on our team...he seems to have gotten bigger/stronger we will see if it makes a difference, but i was never too enamored with him outta high school so I have my doubts

Last edited:

against FAU?? cmon mane u can do better

The screen against Duke.

6 TDs in 30 total touches doesn't say JAG to me.

Advertisement
Blackvern, if u think Waters will be a JAG then I don't know what ur seeing. nobody ever said he would be a megastar here. We don't need him to be. Just be a good compliment to Coley and Dorsett. Which he was the first part of last year. Then he got hurt and it was downhill from there.

To me he reminds me so much of Brian Blades skill set wise. A great sidekick to a #1 player is what he is. I expect big things from him this year.

against FAU?? cmon mane u can do better

The screen against Duke

That last year, the reverse too. The two long bombs as well two years ago.

I'm sorry vern, I like you dude, but this something can't agree on with you. Waters looks far from slow.

We'll revisit this when the combine comes up whenever Waters goes. I'm thinking at the least, 4.4 range... the most a high 4.3

When kids get into a college strength and conditioning program they will get faster their legs get stronger.

Advertisement
Blackvern, if u think Waters will be a JAG then I don't know what ur seeing. nobody ever said he would be a megastar here. We don't need him to be. Just be a good compliment to Coley and Dorsett. Which he was the first part of last year. Then he got hurt and it was downhill from there.

To me he reminds me so much of Brian Blades skill set wise. A great sidekick to a #1 player is what he is. I expect big things from him this year.

I always want the kids to succeed.. When we crooted him I thought he should have went to a different school where he could be the man. The problem is As of right now Jassid I have Dorsett, Coley, Rashawn Scott(if outtta the dog house), Malcolm Lewis(if healthy), ahead of him Talent wise...The 40 times prove that he was faster than he was in high school.. Ill give u that... Hopefully his size makes him less injury prone because the boy was always hurt in high school also...I don't think he completed half a season when at Homestead.. LIke I said I hope he proves me wrong... He just received a lot of snaps last year and thought he should've made a bigger impact.

against FAU?? cmon mane when your only highlight was against FAU it validates my point even better. Hes the 5th best WR on our team...he seems to have gotten bigger/stronger we will see if it makes a difference, but i was never too enamored with him outta high school so I have my doubts

5th ehh.

Would say 2nd or 3rd. Might be more polished than Dorsett is. Dorsett a field stretcher.

Think Waters more dynamic even though Dorsett might be the fastest man in college football this year.

Don't get me wrong though Dorsett is a good one.

But as you said, you were never really high on Waters to begin with so we'll leave it at that.

Waters is my breakout player this year, morris missed him so much last year and he still had decent numbers, im not sleeping on him one bit

Advertisement
Back