At end of 2017, where will this DL be ranked in U History?

Can't have an elite D Line at Miami without a the token crazy white guy...Thank you Patch!

Advertisement
It'll have its worked cut out to be better than '89 and '94. Those were the 2 best statistically (I think). '86, '01, '93, and some other 80s DLs were amazing too. But, this DL can be very good, if not great.

for my money, the 89 unit is the best we've had in terms of talent and depth - and more importantly, production. You had Tex and Maryland at tackle, Greg Mark( who had a load of sacks) and Willis Pegues at end. Jimmie Jones was the 3rd tackle off the bench(who had good NFL career) and Shane Curry(who was also drafted high in 1990). I've never seen a Dline that consistently played in the defensive backfield the way they did and was so disruptive.

94 was unreal too, Sapp(HOFamer and the most decorated college defender that season), Pat Riley( who was drafted in the 2nd rd) and two first round ends who had long NFL runs in Kennard Lang and Kenny Holmes. But they didn't have quite the depth IMO of 89 - although they had 'the Rock' lol

2002 to me, I thought going into that year was going to be a monster but honestly, was a bit underwhelming and was symbolic of the malaise of the Coker coaching regime. For much of that year they were just 'meh' and weren't nearly as dominant as they should have been and it had plenth of NFL guys(McDougle, Wilfork, Andrew Williams, Jamaal Green, Joseph)

I really think this unit under Coach Kool( the Emanuel Steward of Dline coaches) can be an absolute monster even with the losses of Gerald Willis and Courtel Jenkins. Honestly, I wouldn't trade this unit for any other in the country - only Clemson has a unit I'd think about

In 2002, the way FSU ran the ball down our throats that year was inexcusable.

This DL has a long ways to go be in the top 5. ight forget how dominate those dl's were.

Can't believe posters are saying top 5!!!!! These guys have to be in their 20's.

No, I'm in my 40s and I've seen ALL of the Miami great defenses.

I honestly think these guys can be a top 5 Dline IF and I mean, IF they do what I think they're going to do. Tons of versatility, and you can even put Chad inside to speed rush on 3rd and long.

And I can tell you right now, on paper, this is the best DE "talented" depth we've EVER had at Miami. Joe Jack, Garvin and DJ Johnson all could have 1st rd potential, and Patchan might have a better "get off" than all of them. Again, this in on paper and we need to see it in the field, but the talent level is through the roof.

The biggest reason they could be one of the best D-lines in our history is because we have the best D-line coach in the country. The talent is up there, but Coach Kool is the X factor.

I think when it's all set and done, Jonathan Garvin will be the best DE to come out of the University of Miami.

Advertisement
for my money, the 89 unit is the best we've had in terms of talent and depth - and more importantly, production. You had Tex and Maryland at tackle, Greg Mark( who had a load of sacks) and Willis Pegues at end. Jimmie Jones was the 3rd tackle off the bench(who had good NFL career) and Shane Curry(who was also drafted high in 1990). I've never seen a Dline that consistently played in the defensive backfield the way they did and was so disruptive.

94 was unreal too, Sapp(HOFamer and the most decorated college defender that season), Pat Riley( who was drafted in the 2nd rd) and two first round ends who had long NFL runs in Kennard Lang and Kenny Holmes. But they didn't have quite the depth IMO of 89 - although they had 'the Rock' lol

2002 to me, I thought going into that year was going to be a monster but honestly, was a bit underwhelming and was symbolic of the malaise of the Coker coaching regime. For much of that year they were just 'meh' and weren't nearly as dominant as they should have been and it had plenth of NFL guys(McDougle, Wilfork, Andrew Williams, Jamaal Green, Joseph)

I really think this unit under Coach Kool( the Emanuel Steward of Dline coaches) can be an abolute monster even with the losses of Gerald Willis and Courtel Jenkins. Honestly, I wouldn't trade this unit for any other in the country - only Clemson has a unit I'd think about

93 had Sapp/Riley with Krein and Partick. Might have been better than 94, though Sapp obviously had a better year in 94 than 93. Just imagine if Rusty was healthy in '93.

Meaderis is one of the all-time forgotten Canes. He was on pace to be the leading sacker in Miami history. 86 had a great unit with Jerome Brown, Derwin Jones, Danny Stubbs, Sileo, etc.

This got me thinking, everyone had such high hopes for Mark Caeser and he never truly developed. Im told he was basically 'uncoachable' from a teammate of his...

Yeah, Caesar was good, but he didn't have "something" and what you say makes sense. I think he played a couple of seasons with the Dolphins too. Pat Riley was really underrated, but Rusty's '91 season was one of the best. **** cheap *** Arizona player.

I remember Rusty's breakout performance was the Texas Tech game in 1990, where he came outta nowhere and had 3 sacks. BTW, you remember how highly touted Cameron Binion was? He was All-World in high school and won a bunch of award and he never played an important down at UM, lol. Or Ryan Anderson from the 94 class. Those **** stars...

I found this on the 94 class

Miami has also done well at defensive lineman. UM has received a commitment from Cameron Binion, a 6-foot-5, 232-pound defensive end, from Lake Orchard, Mich., who is rated No. 3 by SuperPrep. Damond Neely, ranked No. 10 among defensive linemen, has also committed. Neely, from Abington, Pa., is 6-4 and 275 pounds.

Miami has also done well at linebacker, attracting Wellington's Nate Stimson, who was the Sun-Sentinel's Palm Beach County Defensive Player of the Year; Miami Northwestern linebacker Jeffrey Taylor, who spent the past year in prep school; and Michael Lawson, a 6-3, 210-pound defensive end from Delray Beach Atlantic.

It'll have its worked cut out to be better than '89 and '94. Those were the 2 best statistically (I think). '86, '01, '93, and some other 80s DLs were amazing too. But, this DL can be very good, if not great.

I really think this unit under Coach Kool( the Emanuel Steward of Dline coaches) can be an absolute monster even with the losses of Gerald Willis and Courtel Jenkins. Honestly, I wouldn't trade this unit for any other in the country - only Clemson has a unit I'd think about

In 2002, the way FSU ran the ball down our throats that year was inexcusable.

And West Virginia IIRC ran for right around 300 yards against that unit. It was maddening to see how that unit played(actually the whole team, after that Florida game)

93 had Sapp/Riley with Krein and Partick. Might have been better than 94, though Sapp obviously had a better year in 94 than 93. Just imagine if Rusty was healthy in '93.

Meaderis is one of the all-time forgotten Canes. He was on pace to be the leading sacker in Miami history. 86 had a great unit with Jerome Brown, Derwin Jones, Danny Stubbs, Sileo, etc.

This got me thinking, everyone had such high hopes for Mark Caeser and he never truly developed. Im told he was basically 'uncoachable' from a teammate of his...

Yeah, Caesar was good, but he didn't have "something" and what you say makes sense. I think he played a couple of seasons with the Dolphins too. Pat Riley was really underrated, but Rusty's '91 season was one of the best. **** cheap *** Arizona player.

I remember Rusty's breakout performance was the Texas Tech game in 1990, where he came outta nowhere and had 3 sacks. BTW, you remember how highly touted Cameron Binion was? He was All-World in high school and won a bunch of award and he never played an important down at UM, lol. Or Ryan Anderson from the 94 class. Those **** stars...

Miami has also done well at defensive lineman. UM has received a commitment from Cameron Binion, a 6-foot-5, 232-pound defensive end, from Lake Orchard, Mich., who is rated No. 3 by SuperPrep. Damond Neely, ranked No. 10 among defensive linemen, has also committed. Neely, from Abington, Pa., is 6-4 and 275 pounds.

Miami has also done well at linebacker, attracting Wellington's Nate Stimson, who was the Sun-Sentinel's Palm Beach County Defensive Player of the Year; Miami Northwestern linebacker Jeffrey Taylor, who spent the past year in prep school; and Michael Lawson, a 6-3, 210-pound defensive end from Delray Beach Atlantic.

Neely was switched to Oline, actually was pretty decent by the end of his career in 98

Advertisement

Neely was switched to Oline, actually was pretty decent by the end of his career in 98

And Jeff Taylor flicked off Nebraska in the Orange Bowl game, so, there's that

LOL, Stimson was the guy who called out Lamont Green for going to FSU, talked a good game, then ran away from the program claiming the guys were mean to him

LOL, Stimson was the guy who called out Lamont Green for going to FSU, talked a good game, then ran away from the program claiming the guys were mean to him

Erickson's recruiting was kind of hit or miss. I know that's what recruiting is, but aside from him getting guys because we're Miami, I think he kind of sucked at recruiting.

Advertisement

Erickson's recruiting was kind of hit or miss. I know that's what recruiting is, but aside from him getting guys because we're Miami, I think he kind of sucked at recruiting.

It was more like 'hit and-a-ton-of-misses'. His classes at Miami just kept getting worse and worse(while seemingly being rated higher each year) it was uncanny

Advertisement
Back