At end of 2017, where will this DL be ranked in U History?

Can definitely be better than any dline that played in the 2000s on up. National championship team included

2000 Team beat #1 , #2 and #7 teams .... stop it

People love to live in the moment. **** if I'm not mistaken didn't our 2009 DLine lead the nation in TFL's. I think that was Marcus Fortson and Allen Bailey and Oliver Vernon to name a few. They were pretty darn good. And what 2003 with Big Vince and Jerome MacDougle.

And 2017 UM dline can be better is all I'm saying

Advertisement
Right now, I just want them to be better than the 2016 DLine. More sacks, more int, and more Defense TD. Give me that and I will be a happy Cane.

This DL has a long ways to go be in the top 5. ight forget how dominate those dl's were.

Can't believe posters are saying top 5!!!!! These guys have to be in their 20's.

No, I'm in my 40s and I've seen ALL of the Miami great defenses.

I honestly think these guys can be a top 5 Dline IF and I mean, IF they do what I think they're going to do. Tons of versatility, and you can even put Chad inside to speed rush on 3rd and long.

And I can tell you right now, on paper, this is the best DE "talented" depth we've EVER had at Miami. Joe Jack, Garvin and DJ Johnson all could have 1st rd potential, and Patchan might have a better "get off" than all of them. Again, this in on paper and we need to see it in the field, but the talent level is through the roof.

Last edited:
This DL has a long ways to go be in the top 5. ight forget how dominate those dl's were.

Can't believe posters are saying top 5!!!!! These guys have to be in their 20's.

I honestly think these guys can be a top 5 Dline IF and I mean, IF they do what I think they're going to do. Tons of versatility, and you can even put Chad inside to speed rush on 3rd and long.

And I can tell you right now, on paper, this is the best DE "talented" depth we've EVER had at Miami. Joe Jack, Garvin and DJ Johnson all could have 1st rd potential, and Patchan might have a better "get off" than all of them. Again, this in on paper and we need to see it in the field, but the talent level is through the roof.

How soon we forget. Those dl's in the 80's /90's dominated , not just great in um history but cfb history. All time great.

Advertisement

How soon we forget. Those dl's in the 80's /90's dominated , not just great in um history but cfb history. All time great.

No, I didn't forget---that's why I said "potential" top 5 Dline all time. It's just one man's opinion, and it's not gospel, but I think this Dline has the potential to get there. This DE group can be really good if they do what they're capable of

No, I didn't forget---that's why I said "potential" top 5 Dline all time. It's just one man's opinion, and it's not gospel, but I think this Dline has the potential to get there. This DE group can be really good if they do what they're capable of

I can respect that. We'll find out quickly though because if you want to be considered with the greatest DLines go up to Tally in week 3 and don't give up a 100 yard rusher

This DL has a long ways to go be in the top 5. Some might forget how dominate those dl's were.

This. Go to youtube and take a look at some of those late 80s and early 90s dlines. This dline has shown nothing close to the terror that those lines brought play after play.

I can respect that. We'll find out quickly though because if you want to be considered with the greatest DLines go up to Tally in week 3 and don't give up a 100 yard rusher

Yessir! 100%

And if Norton and Mac return for 2018?!?! Oh my! I expect both to declare but that would be a pantheon Dline

Advertisement
This DL has a long ways to go be in the top 5. Some might forget how dominate those dl's were.

This. Go to youtube and take a look at some of those late 80s and early 90s dlines. This dline has shown nothing close to the terror that those lines brought play after play.

Those lines were great, we all know that

Let's keep this thread tacked up top. Let's see where they stack up in January

It's a high standard to match up with any line that had either Jerome Brown or Cortez Kennedy in it. As good as Mac and Norton are, they don't yet match up to them. I's been so long, that we've forgotten how good they were.

I'd be happy if they could consistently get a pass rush from a four man line (without sending a LB).

It's a high standard to match up with any line that had either Jerome Brown or Cortez Kennedy in it. As good as Mac and Norton are, they don't yet match up to them. I's been so long, that we've forgotten how good they were.

I'd be happy if they could consistently get a pass rush from a four man line (without sending a LB).

Agree.

Russell Maryland too.

McIntosh and Norton are nice players but they're nowhere close to those guys and the Sapps. Not even in the same universe.

Last year we needed blitzes or some dogs to get a lot of pressure. Back in the day we just lined up with a four man rush and ate. The front four was inconsistent last year at times.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It'll have its worked cut out to be better than '89 and '94. Those were the 2 best statistically (I think). '86, '01, '93, and some other 80s DLs were amazing too. But, this DL can be very good, if not great.

for my money, the 89 unit is the best we've had in terms of talent and depth - and more importantly, production. You had Tex and Maryland at tackle, Greg Mark( who had a load of sacks) and Willis Pegues at end. Jimmie Jones was the 3rd tackle off the bench(who had good NFL career) and Shane Curry(who was also drafted high in 1990). I've never seen a Dline that consistently played in the defensive backfield the way they did and was so disruptive.

94 was unreal too, Sapp(HOFamer and the most decorated college defender that season), Pat Riley( who was drafted in the 2nd rd) and two first round ends who had long NFL runs in Kennard Lang and Kenny Holmes. But they didn't have quite the depth IMO of 89 - although they had 'the Rock' lol

2002 to me, I thought going into that year was going to be a monster but honestly, was a bit underwhelming and was symbolic of the malaise of the Coker coaching regime. For much of that year they were just 'meh' and weren't nearly as dominant as they should have been and it had plenth of NFL guys(McDougle, Wilfork, Andrew Williams, Jamaal Green, Joseph)

I really think this unit under Coach Kool( the Emanuel Steward of Dline coaches) can be an absolute monster even with the losses of Gerald Willis and Courtel Jenkins. Honestly, I wouldn't trade this unit for any other in the country - only Clemson has a unit I'd think about

Last edited:
It'll have its worked cut out to be better than '89 and '94. Those were the 2 best statistically (I think). '86, '01, '93, and some other 80s DLs were amazing too. But, this DL can be very good, if not great.

for my money, the 89 unit is the best we've had in terms of talent and depth - and more importantly, production. You had Tex and Maryland at tackle, Greg Mark( who had a load of sacks) and Willis Pegues at end. Jimmie Jones was the 3rd tackle off the bench(who had good NFL career) and Shane Curry(who was also drafted high in 1990). I've never seen a Dline that consistently played in the defensive backfield the way they did and was so disruptive.

94 was unreal too, Sapp(HOFamer and the most decorated college defender that season), Pat Riley( who was drafted in the 2nd rd) and two first round ends who had long NFL runs in Kennard Lang and Kenny Holmes. But they didn't have quite the depth IMO of 89 - although they had 'the Rock' lol

2002 to me, I thought going into that year was going to be a monster but honestly, was a bit underwhelming and was symbolic of the malaise of the Coker coaching regime. For much of that year they were just 'meh' and weren't nearly as dominant as they should have been and it had plenth of NFL guys(McDougle, Wilfork, Andrew Williams, Jamaal Green, Joseph)

I really think this unit under Coach Kool( the Emanuel Steward of Dline coaches) can be an abolute monster even with the losses of Gerald Willis and Courtel Jenkins. Honestly, I wouldn't trade this unit for any other in the country - only Clemson has a unit I'd think about

93 had Sapp/Riley with Krein and Partick. Might have been better than 94, though Sapp obviously had a better year in 94 than 93. Just imagine if Rusty was healthy in '93.

Advertisement

I really think this unit under Coach Kool( the Emanuel Steward of Dline coaches) can be an abolute monster even with the losses of Gerald Willis and Courtel Jenkins. Honestly, I wouldn't trade this unit for any other in the country - only Clemson has a unit I'd think about

93 had Sapp/Riley with Krein and Partick. Might have been better than 94, though Sapp obviously had a better year in 94 than 93. Just imagine if Rusty was healthy in '93.

Meaderis is one of the all-time forgotten Canes. He was on pace to be the leading sacker in Miami history. 86 had a great unit with Jerome Brown, Derwin Jones, Danny Stubbs, Sileo, etc.

This got me thinking, everyone had such high hopes for Mark Caeser and he never truly developed. Im told he was basically 'uncoachable' from a teammate of his...

Meaderis is one of the all-time forgotten Canes. He was on pace to be the leading sacker in Miami history. 86 had a great unit with Jerome Brown, Derwin Jones, Danny Stubbs, Sileo, etc.

This got me thinking, everyone had such high hopes for Mark Caeser and he never truly developed. Im told he was basically 'uncoachable' from a teammate of his...

Yeah, Caesar was good, but he didn't have "something" and what you say makes sense. I think he played a couple of seasons with the Dolphins too. Pat Riley was really underrated, but Rusty's '91 season was one of the best. **** cheap *** Arizona player.

Yeah, Caesar was good, but he didn't have "something" and what you say makes sense. I think he played a couple of seasons with the Dolphins too. Pat Riley was really underrated, but Rusty's '91 season was one of the best. **** cheap *** Arizona player.

I remember Rusty's breakout performance was the Texas Tech game in 1990, where he came outta nowhere and had 3 sacks. BTW, you remember how highly touted Cameron Binion was? He was All-World in high school and won a bunch of award and he never played an important down at UM, lol. Or Ryan Anderson from the 94 class. Those **** stars...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back