As frustrating as this is, my gut says

I personally believe it’s Mario as well and a deal is in place. The AD search is actually going in reverse where the candidates are being told who the coach will be.

My gut… AD will be announced soon and Mario will announce he’s leaving Oregon Sunday
That would be dope. I’d be just as happy if the same news but replace Mario with Lane.

I kind of find it hard to believe they’d make those discussions without the AD though which might explain if you’re right why we don’t have any badazz experienced ADs lining up for the job. They’d surely want to make those decisions themselves.

Advertisement
From some poster on the Oregon board:

Mike Farrell just said on Full Ride that Mario will get an extension. Didn’t provide more details, but he is pretty connected.
This is what worries me. Oregon knows Miami is eyeing him, they're most likely trying to lock him up and UM keeps dragging their feet.

Advertisement
IMO I don't think it is. But we will see. UM has never done something like bring in a hire tier coach and I don't see that changing. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

God, we are so pregnant, the water is gonna break soon. Then we’ll know if it’s a boy or a girl. Until then let’s hold the cigars in our pockets and pace up and down our collective hallway…

Lol if it says in the contract he gets $2 mil if fired before Dec. 1 then he’s not getting the two million if he’s fired on or after Dec. 1.

That clause will have bought him super valuable time and that part of the agreement will have been executed.
Except if Miami is already looking for his replacement or he was told verbally, and reports of both have been repeated on this site as fact as much as the buyout speculation. We don’t pay buyouts anyway so why would they delay his firing based on something they haven’t done for 15 years? Oh and to reiterate, this buyout talk is about as trustworthy as Diaz himself

Except if Miami is already looking for his replacement or he was told verbally, and reports of both have been repeated on this site as fact as much as the buyout speculation. We don’t pay buyouts anyway so why would they delay his firing based on something they haven’t done for 15 years?
Idk what reports you’re talking about — but two millions dollars is two millions dollars.

We’re going to have to pony up and spend big if they’re serious about getting back on top, but you don’t burn two millions dollars for no reason.

Lane, Mario, or anyone else would rather wait a week before announcing they’re the head coach and get to add $2m to their assistant coaches salary pool then just make the announcement quickly and waste TWO MILLION DOLLARS.

People with money are smart enough not to waste their money. That’s part of what separates them from people who are broke or living paycheck to paycheck.

Just because you can’t see the value in putting two million dollars to good use, doesn’t mean the people in charge don’t see the value in it.

Advertisement
5DDDDB67-F65F-4C39-BC8B-E9FF12A86FFE.png

I have no insider knowledge but I think they've already gotten an answer from Mario. And as a courtesy to him (so he doesn't have to answer questions before Oregon's season is over) there is no announcement and Manny is still officially coach. You never burn bridges if you don't have to.

Just a hunch and my life wont change one way at all if that isn't the case, we move on and look for someone else.

And if that happens, were any of our great coaches our first choice? Actually asking because I don't know. I'm pretty sure Butch wasn't.

Mike Farrell just said on Full Ride that Mario will get an extension. Didn’t provide more details, but he is pretty connected.
He's already gotten one extension already, a few weeks back when he made the win total required for his contract to automatically roll over.

Advertisement
If the buyout drops on December 1st, as reported—makes total sense Diaz is still employed.

Sounds like AD hire is close and by Friday night Oregon will either be prepping for a Rose Bowl, or some lower-tier game—but are 100% out of the playoffs—so Mario can make moves. (If Brian Kelly can leave one-loss Notre Dame for a new gig, Mario can leave two- or three-loss Oregon.)

Fully expect everything is place by next Monday at the latest.
Agree 1000! Every “true leader” loves the challenge of rebuilding or taking something in the dumps, to something great!

io....I truly believe a deal in theory is in place and they will make it official by next Monday. The only question would be why is Manny still employed other than maybe waiting to save the $2 million?
if its a done deal, of course they would wait 3 or 4 days to save 2 mil plus let Mario coach the pac 12 champ game w/ no distractions

Advertisement

There's all kinds of talk about an extension on the Oregon board. some of the posters are concerned that it's taking too long given what has happened in the past two days with $$$.... One of posters who seems to be particularly confident in retaining Mario in Oregon is saying Cristobal's agent is handling it and that given his mother's health and their upcoming game, it hasn't been on the front burner. He claims it should ratchet up now...

Idk what reports you’re talking about — but two millions dollars is two millions dollars.

We’re going to have to pony up and spend big if they’re serious about getting back on top, but you don’t burn two millions dollars for no reason.

Lane, Mario, or anyone else would rather wait a week before announcing they’re the head coach and get to add $2m to their assistant coaches salary pool then just make the announcement quickly and waste TWO MILLION DOLLARS.

People with money are smart enough not to waste their money. That’s part of what separates them from people who are broke or living paycheck to paycheck.

Just because you can’t see the value in putting two million dollars to good use, doesn’t mean the people in charge don’t see the value in it.
I’m saying there is no more validity to the cis reports of Miami saving $2m to wait til tomorrow to fire Diaz than the cis reports of him already being fired or Miami working behind the scenes to hire Mario. Either one of these reports being correct would mean it’s useless to wait. There is also no substantiation that we are saving $2m by waiting, it’s just bs speculation like the other two rumors I already mentioned, therefore the entire argument is baseless.

Advertisement
Back