Artie Burns and Corn Elder CB Tandem

So this unit is more talented than the 2010 unit that fielded one of the top passing defenses in the entire country?

Or was the 2010 unit just coached better?

Definitely more talented, we had a linebacker trying to play safety in Armstrong and Vaughn telemaque who regressed every year. Brandon Harris was solid and Demarcus van dyke was ok too. The dbs are more talented this year by far and they have made more plays collectively of any of the dbs from 2010. This group have ballhawks and heavy hitters as well.

But they're still not better against the pass. (statistically) Not even close.

Is this a real question? You don't think the soft *** zone we play impacts our statistics? That our D is worse than in 2010 is a testament to the ****** D scheme, not the talent level!!!

Oh. Ok.

Advertisement
they're up there. both have great ball skills and intangibles that NFL teams look for.

i'll always wonder how tracey howard's career would've ended up if he played for a better coach

Tracy isn't that good, the coaching is sub par but it didn't keep Elder or Burns from developing.

In all honesty, they rarely throw at Tracy..... he doesnt have the speed of Corn or Burns, but he definitely has the ball skills and is a good cover guy....his speed is what will hold him back from gettin drafted high, or drafted at all

Really?

Exactly. Nebraska is still throwing at Tracy Howard.

So is FAU.

My recollection is the van dyke/Harris combo combined for a career 6 ints. Something criminally bad for 2 NFLers.

Irrelevant. INT's aren't a true measure of good pass defense. They had one of the top passing defenses in the country. They also played a ton of man coverage, which makes it harder to get picks.

while i get and agree with what you're saying, you have to admit that two NFL caliber cb's combing for only 6 career ints is pretty bad at the college level.

Tracy isn't that good, the coaching is sub par but it didn't keep Elder or Burns from developing.

In all honesty, they rarely throw at Tracy..... he doesnt have the speed of Corn or Burns, but he definitely has the ball skills and is a good cover guy....his speed is what will hold him back from gettin drafted high, or drafted at all

Really?

Exactly. Nebraska is still throwing at Tracy Howard.

So is FAU.

And I'm not hating on Howard. I think you said it properly above when you said he was the "worst' of the 3 CB's. Opposing coordinators are going after him this year, and he's the guy I'd pick on too. He looks a half step slow. But he has played pretty well considering he is getting thrown at a lot. He's fine as a 3rd CB.

Advertisement
My recollection is the van dyke/Harris combo combined for a career 6 ints. Something criminally bad for 2 NFLers.

Irrelevant. INT's aren't a true measure of good pass defense. They had one of the top passing defenses in the country. They also played a ton of man coverage, which makes it harder to get picks.

while i get and agree with what you're saying, you have to admit that two NFL caliber cb's combing for only 6 career ints is pretty bad at the college level.

It's not if you're always playing man coverage.

My kid at UCLA was projected as a 1st-3rd round pick depending on how he did his senior year and he currently only has 1 career INT. (all UCLA does is play man)

And for all this talk about us playing "soft zone coverage"...

Many of our INT's have come in zone.

I'm sure they are more talented than the 2010 unit. We'll just attribute 2010's production to better coaching and better pass rush.

My kid at UCLA was projected as a 1st-3rd round pick depending on how he did his senior year and he currently only has 1 career INT. (all UCLA does is play man)

must have killer measurable then.

Advertisement
I don't see it. Sam Shields was such an ultra rare example. I don't put stock in exceptions or adjustments. Far more dependably the logic will hold up, that if a guy isn't special and displays weaknesses here they are simply a part of his game.

I didn't think we had much if any chance to stop Duke's final drive last week. That wouldn't have been the case if our two cornerbacks were elite or near elite.

Too bad they can't combine their frames, with Burns less leggy and Elder taller.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, with Burns it really depends on those change of direction drills like short shuttle. They have been increasingly linked to success at the NFL level, particularly for a taller cornerback. If you look at Seattle's roster it's amazing how they load up on the SPARQ type athletes at every position. Now a few teams are copying them. In fact, some Seahawk fans claim they know which teams will pick up the guys they cut late, since those teams are all focused on the same metrics.

I don't see it. Sam Shields was such an ultra rare example. I don't put stock in exceptions or adjustments. Far more dependably the logic will hold up, that if a guy isn't special and displays weaknesses here they are simply a part of his game.

I didn't think we had much if any chance to stop Duke's final drive last week. That wouldn't have been the case if our two cornerbacks were elite or near elite.

Too bad they can't combine their frames, with Burns less leggy and Elder taller.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, with Burns it really depends on those change of direction drills like short shuttle. They have been increasingly linked to success at the NFL level, particularly for a taller cornerback. If you look at Seattle's roster it's amazing how they load up on the SPARQ type athletes at every position. Now a few teams are copying them. In fact, some Seahawk fans claim they know which teams will pick up the guys they cut late, since those teams are all focused on the same metrics.
The thing is they made plays on that final drive, burns caught a pick and should have ended the game, corn elder was called for a pi that he didn't even commit...

Tryin to use Duke's last drive as an example of why they're not elite??? lol

You know Artie ended that drive with an interception, right? Just a terrible, terrible PI call. Then 2 more bs PI calls. Then the phantom td.

Clemson or FSU or Cincy would be a better argument

That's the only weakness I see in Burns' game, which is also the case with a lot of tall CB's.

Advertisement
I'm sure they are more talented than the 2010 unit. We'll just attribute 2010's production to better coaching and better pass rush.

Wait a minute homie. You said that coaches and schemes don't make a difference in how good a DB is.

You can't have it both ways Beardy Ryan.

Tryin to use Duke's last drive as an example of why they're not elite??? lol

You know Artie ended that drive with an interception, right? Just a terrible, terrible PI call. Then 2 more bs PI calls. Then the phantom td.

Clemson or FSU or Cincy would be a better argument

I keep tryin to tell y'all. This dude is the BIGGEST gas bag on this site.

Advertisement
More Miami fans overrating our players LOL.

Remember when DUke was a first rounder, lol?

Carlos Williams, Devonte, Matt jones are outplaying Duke.

Duke had 3 carries for 0 yards today LOL.

More Miami fans overrating our players LOL.

Remember when DUke was a first rounder, lol?

Carlos Williams, Devonte, Matt jones are outplaying Duke.

Duke had 3 carries for 0 yards today LOL.

He plays for Cleveland, dumbass. What do you expect. Put Duke on the falcons or bills, **** even the dolphins and he'd be a beast. He's actually been pretty good when the coach actually puts him in the game and gives him the ball.

must have killer measurable then.

My intent is not to crap on former 'Canes. I just don't put Van Dyke/Harris in such high esteem. My last recollection of Harris was him getting absolutely torched in our bowl game.

Advertisement
Back