Artie Burns and Corn Elder CB Tandem

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
Where do these two stack among past Hurricane CB tandems? Taking a break from the coaching hunt and "The Return" for a bit, these two are really starting to come into their own in my opinion and I'm curious what the board thinks of their overall play.

I have been watching these two closely lately and have been very pleased with their development. Watching the game against Duke it suddenly struck me that these two have the talent and potential to rank among the best CB tandems ever at UM. We all know how wretched Mark Donofrio, Paul Williams and their schemes are. To me this is a case of off the charts talent overcoming poor coaching.

I know it's not likely but if these two came back for another year together under a top notch defensive coordinator in a scheme that fits their abilities and showcases their elite athleticism while putting them in the best position to make plays, how good could they be?

I believe if these two came back and played under a competent and aggressive staff that they have the capability of going down as our best CB tandem of all time. They would almost certainly be considered the best CB duo in the nation.

Discuss.

Last edited:
Advertisement
they're up there. both have great ball skills and intangibles that NFL teams look for.

i'll always wonder how tracey howard's career would've ended up if he played for a better coach

I think burns and corn both should and will be back. Corn is a 5'10 db he isn't getting drafted high based off that alone. Burns has gotten better but he still has a lot of work to do.

They could be really special next year... They would be getting that round 1 - 3 money.

Advertisement
I think burns and corn both should and will be back. Corn is a 5'10 db he isn't getting drafted high based off that alone. Burns has gotten better but he still has a lot of work to do.

I agree with you that they should both come back. I just don't think it's likely unless the new coach convinces them that one more year in a good scheme will earn them significantly more money. If those two come back under a great staff we could have a vintage suffocating Canes defense. Just thinking about that scenario sure moves my needle!

Artie will go, he has a family to look after. i agree he could use another year under a good DB coach but if the money is there he will take it. As for Corn i believe he will stay.

they're up there. both have great ball skills and intangibles that NFL teams look for.

i'll always wonder how tracey howard's career would've ended up if he played for a better coach

Tracy isn't that good, the coaching is sub par but it didn't keep Elder or Burns from developing.

Advertisement

Tracy isn't that good, the coaching is sub par but it didn't keep Elder or Burns from developing.

In all honesty, they rarely throw at Tracy..... he doesnt have the speed of Corn or Burns, but he definitely has the ball skills and is a good cover guy....his speed is what will hold him back from gettin drafted high, or drafted at all

From a talent stand point, they're the best since '04 when we had Rolle and Jennings.

I agree. Better coaching and these two would have been extremely impressive. Corn has basically won two games the coaches were trying hard to loose-Duke and NE. When was the last time any defender has done that?

They are an awesome duo. I hate to beat a dead horse but I can't help but wonder how much more potential could have been tapped into with a real coach and defensive scheme.

They are an awesome duo. I hate to beat a dead horse but I can't help but wonder how much more potential could have been tapped into with a real coach and defensive scheme.
They are balling correct scheme or no scheme right now. Player development isn't the issue its the coaching principles and philosophies of golden and donofrio thats always been the issue

Advertisement
If by some miracle these two stay one more year (Corn definitely should) we are gonna have two lockdown corners next year like absolute shutdown corners

Advertisement

In all honesty, they rarely throw at Tracy..... he doesnt have the speed of Corn or Burns, but he definitely has the ball skills and is a good cover guy....his speed is what will hold him back from gettin drafted high, or drafted at all

Really?

Really?

Tracy hasn't played bad this year. He's actually been pretty good and has improved his speed. He is a solid player and they do throw at the other corners more if anything

You'll see once he gets to the Packers.

OAN, Artie needs to go to the draft after the season is over for personal reasons obviously. His speed and ball skills will get him in the top 3 rds easily. No point in coming back and risking getting hurt. Corn on the other hand, will be back probably.

Advertisement
Back