Article on Patke and the rest of U staff coaches recruiting "success"

Diaz scheme seems to work until teams seen it a couple times then he gets gashed. Those recruiting stats horrid, he got to shape up on both parts this year or Richt has to look for someone else. Richt wants to win championships before hanging it up, but defense got to step things up big time.

Advertisement
Most ppl who finish w/ a top 10 class would argue that coaching and development would be the difference between the team being good and great.

We’re still losing to teams with inferior talent. I am not concerned with the 4th best v. 8th best recruiting ranking. I am actually concerned with actual coaching and development.

Even under ALbortion and Radio, the talent was there to do much better. And that 2013 team, how many players ended up starting games in the NFL?

We just brought in a really good class, recruiting isn’t the issue.

You guys are taking the opinion of David Wilson as the gospel simply because you want to.

We stopped recruiting Louis, Sherwood & Gainer. That's why they didn't take an OV & Louis actually did visit campus with his Father in the Summer.

Gainer was trolling so we cooled on him because he wasn't showing legit interest.

The staff zeroed in on Joyner from the Spring while he was committed to FSU & stuck with it all the way till December & flipped him.

When we land Sam Brooks, Jesiah Pierre & Jahmar Brown, or the many of the other 19 LB's people won't have anything to say.

I get everyone is on suicide watch because the greatest CB's to ever live didn't pick Miami, but I think many of yall wallow in misery too much. Steed, Wilder & Jennings were good pickups but no one thinks so because it doesn't fit the narrative.

I'm not trying to be the "wait until next year guy"... So instead I'll just say that the 2019 class just happens to have depth exactly where we missed or needed more in 2018 - specifically LB, D-Line and O-Line. So IF our coaches can step up their recruiting game, we could end up with monsters across the board, allowing us to recruit a little differently in 2020 (as in build depth, vs panicking over needs). I just HOPE this was coach Diaz plan all along. Not that it made sense to go after one LB (who some felt would be better at DE), forcing us to come out of the 2019 class with a crazy number of LB. But hey.. IF they can get their 2019 targets signed, the 2020-2021 seasons should be playoff runs.

Advertisement
**** yall just so quick to trust anybody these days lol.

We were targeting 1 LB all year. We got him. End of story. And now we're supposed to believe Diaz didn't recruit anyone but the LBs he missed on? haha foh.

If thats the case, Patke wiffed on the guys he was recruiting as well.
Correct, Patke wifed on coburn.

I really wonder if any other team that finished with a top 10 class has fans as miserable as ours. We will be preseason top 10 next year too but who cares? We missed on 2 kids so let's shut down the program.

What's funniest is all these posters I've never seen post before, are on here running their **** beaters all of a sudden trashing the staff. I hope the people that post here aren't truly representative of our fan base. It makes no sense to be down on our program right now.

Just kys or go root for Bama/UGA/whoever is being sucked off today and do us all, yourself included, a favor.

I think the point of promoting Patke was to make him the defense's "Hartley." Young, aggressive guy who can relate to and reel in kids on that side of the ball. I'm willing to give Patke a year to build relationships and make a difference - if we're having this same conversation February 2019, it's time for a change.

Off to a slow start, but no matter. It's the part of "give year", not all of us have secured another year. But you being a ghost n all, I kind of get it. However, what's the story with Rumph bout that year (same logic, would be this year)? Just saying, definitely not a Rumph hater, but how you defend, extend your logic there?

Advertisement
Diaz will be gone after 2018. He's here mainly as a "local kid", but none of the kids from the 305 area seem to have any connection to him. Just a local pol's kid and a mediocre DC at best. Basically useless. He looked good at the start because anyone was better than NoD.

Now hold on a minute, his defenses @ the U and MSU (UT was a mess before n he was easy target, scapegoat IMO) have shown some sparks of real greatness with "under-starred" relatively speaking. Nevertheless, the #s on recruiting do not lie. Sure, stats can be lies, **** lies, and outright lies...but you have to have at least a sample size larger than 1...if that's true like WTF. Lets get him help IMMEDIATELY.

So back to that year, CMR probably sees himself getting hired by BB in much the same light he is giving Patke a chance, but at this juncture? With the D holes created by misses, late interest/offers and misreading the physics of the DTs coming back; don't really think its the time to roll the dice on give him a year (most people at a job take longer than that to learn the ropes). Not with Barrow and others with PROVEN YEARS available. Options that can only Increase MD2's chances for success. That's plain riverboat gambling. I've been known to bus it home from LV a # of times and have learned that better to rely on experience and play the pools than crap out on dreaming of "fair probabilities" in any part of Games.

A lot of you guys would have quit following recruiting in the mid 90s if you think this is bad. We lost **** near 75% of the local guys we wanted during FSU and UFs heyday. We lost 2 local guys we wanted and got everyone else. Lol.

Miserable people will go out of there way to remain miserable. The same f'uckers that are complaining about this class probably complained about our last Natty because we were up 34-0 at the half, but only won 37-14.

It completely baffles me how people choose to ignore how great this class is because we missed out on two DB's. From top to bottom, this is a stellar class.

We did exactly what we were supposed to do. Numbers were low in key areas and strong in others as it relates to the depth of our roster. Low in TE's, so we brought in 2 top 8 TE's, including the #1 TE. Low in RB's, so we brought in 2 top 7 RB's including a 5*. DB were low, so we brought in 5 DB's, 4 of which are 4* and the other may be the fastest DB/Player in the country. According to our coaches, the numbers were not as low in other areas, including the DL, despite all of the departures to the NFL.

What I haven't even mentioned yet is the fact that we added a top 5 QB, arguably the best WR in the country, and without a doubt the best DT in the country.

Continue to complain, my miserable friends, complain on!

Advertisement
Why is the DC so quiet in recruiting? Diaz’s talk game is superb. Surprised that wouldn’t be much more beneficial on the recruiting front.
I am curious to know how much he is actually on the trail. From what I was able to gather, he was only the lead recruiter on one target, Joyner, which he landed. With his velvet tongue, I hope he becomes the primary recruiter more often moving foreard.

Why did the article leave out "Patke also whiffed on all of his recruits and still currently has a total of 0 blue chip recruits signed"

Patke recruited for about 7 days. We will find out this year if he’s good or not.

Only problem I have with Diaz is I think after about two years teams in conference have more tape of his blitz packages and they aren’t as effective. We kind of saw this at the end of the year.

I am curious to know how much he is actually on the trail. From what I was able to gather, he was only the lead recruiter on one target, Joyner, which he landed. With his velvet tongue, I hope he becomes the primary recruiter more often moving foreard.
Diaz can talk with the best of them, so I'd love to see him more active in recruiting. I think we need to overhaul some of the things we're doing on the defensive side in recruiting. My hope is that Patke can be the defense's Toddrick Hartley. We need more dogs on that side in recruiting.

Advertisement
Patke recruited for about 7 days. We will find out this year if he’s good or not.

Only problem I have with Diaz is I think after about two years teams in conference have more tape of his blitz packages and they aren’t as effective. We kind of saw this at the end of the year.
Diaz has a history of fielding better defenses in his first year on a job than he does in his second. I think we were better in 2016 no matter what stats people want to drag out. Hope he turns it around in 2018 because we were pretty awful stopping some really pedestrian QBs.

This (kind of) confirms for me that the issue with our defensive recruiting lies with Diaz. There does not seem to be a cohesive strategy of who to go after, when, etc. I rarely hear anything about Diaz and recruiting but i have heard that he is very dogmatic in what he’s looking for in a player, sometimes against the wishes of the position coaches who are the active recruiters. Maybe richt needs to be more involved on defense rather than give these guys so much autonomy (which is an issue for him imo).

This (kind of) confirms for me that the issue with our defensive recruiting lies with Diaz. There does not seem to be a cohesive strategy of who to go after, when, etc. I rarely hear anything about Diaz and recruiting but i have heard that he is very dogmatic in what he’s looking for in a player, sometimes against the wishes of the position coaches who are the active recruiters. Maybe richt needs to be more involved on defense rather than give these guys so much autonomy (which is an issue for him imo).
Yeah richt and the guys have it locked down in recruiting on offense. Maybe some of them need to recruit our defensive targets too. In addition to that the defense was stacked last year but allowed below average qbs to eat them up in some games or have career days at times. That’s on Diaz because he had a full allotment of players. Richt meanwhile had inaccurate rosier, lost basically the top 2 players on the team in Walton and Richards and the unit was still serviceable for the most part.

You never really hear about Diaz in recruiting either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back