article on Georgia's $200 million spending spree

Don’t we consistently pull top-15 recruiting classes, and consistently finish seasons no where near the top-25?

How does that have anything to do with moneybags, cheating, and recruiting? Do the moneybag coaches shred the money into their smoothies, and use it as a performance enhancer for developing talent?

Advertisement
What you do is pay the coaches which they will pay the recruits to come. People will come and watch us play in the national spotlight and we will make a big portion of ACC revenue, tv deals, merchandise etc. But this administration is scared or corrupt.

-as others have said the $ is how much they’ve dropped in the bags.

-none of that will guarantee them any championships.

-something does feel wrong about it though. I never had a problem with UGA. But man they’ve gone absolutely insane since Kirby got there.

-we don’t have to spend at that level to compete. It’s all about location. Why is the fee to rent an old busted condo on Hollywood beach higher than the fee to rent a newer bigger apartment in Davie? Location! If we are winning , yes we will lose some guys still but we will win most of our recruiting battles.

-we just have to know our lane and stick in it. If we are going to spend I would rather us have good facilities and great coaches.

Advertisement
Still, I wonder. What’s the upper limit? Do we get to the point where for instance an Alabama is spending 1B (uninflated) on football expenses? Or building a tract of 85 mansions on campus for player housing? Or passing legislation that non athletes must kneel down or avert their eyes when a student athlete walks by? I just wonder, what is the threshold that is breached where a pushback begins?

Just a waste of money. I love college football, but this shiit is ridiculous. At the end of the day it's entertainment and bragging rights.

Advertisement
and they totally missed the payroll! The amount of money being spent on players and family is obscene! With no salary cap...

Hes a piece of **** but those are the great coaches in the college game. Even if we pay him that much he will make that money back to the U ten fold.

Probably not. You have to remember: The athletic department gets to keep the money it makes. In other words, the athletic department would benefit, but the overall institution wouldn't. Never mind the fact that if you bring in someone like Meyer, odds are he'll do sketchy crap that reflects negatively on the University as a whole, which hurts our ability to attract the best and brightest. You don't want to be known as a "Jock" school, and hiring Meyer is the kind of move those schools make. Never mind the fact that Meyer would also destroy the program(You may get a title out of it), leaving once things took a downward turn. It's not worth the risk. There are too many good coaches out there for Miami to pull that aren't the long term risk Meyer is.

Advertisement
Probably not. You have to remember: The athletic department gets to keep the money it makes. In other words, the athletic department would benefit, but the overall institution wouldn't. Never mind the fact that if you bring in someone like Meyer, odds are he'll do sketchy crap that reflects negatively on the University as a whole, which hurts our ability to attract the best and brightest. You don't want to be known as a "Jock" school, and hiring Meyer is the kind of move those schools make. Never mind the fact that Meyer would also destroy the program(You may get a title out of it), leaving once things took a downward turn. It's not worth the risk. There are too many good coaches out there for Miami to pull that aren't the long term risk Meyer is.
Death penalty is better then the punishment we are going through now

The smartest thing Georgia ever did was getting rid of Richt. Of course, Miami was only too happy to bring Georgia's trash to our dumpster fire program. Diaz is just a remnant of that gift that keeps giving.

Advertisement

Do you not understand what the death penalty is? Miami is mediocre right now, but SMU hasn't won 9 games in almost 40 years. That's what the death penalty does to a program.

Do you not understand what the death penalty is? Miami is mediocre right now, but SMU hasn't won 9 games in almost 40 years. That's what the death penalty does to a program.
I get it but might as well go out with a bang cause this hasnt been the U i know... and the route we are taking isnt the answer im an super sure of it. We have taken this route for years and all it has done is bury us more.

Like ACC Officiating, this spending topic comes up every season and I link to old posts that show A. Officiating Bias Exists and B. There is an easy fix to this and paying players:

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/where-is-college-football-headed.138980/page-2

1. Athletic Department spending caps on a per sport basis, set to allow competitive balance and sufficiency (rising propotionally to inflation each year) You get a set amount, so you have to decide how much you pay assistant coaches per annum, how much you pay for recruiting expenses per annum, how much of a new head coach will cost in the out years...Skill, as opposed to bigger schools outspending smaller schools being the deciding factor in championships. Sure, you still will have the taxpayer giving state schools an advantage in real property and pensions, but at least a lot more balanced then what happens now.

2. With spending capped to less of an insane level, the conferences will take a large share of their TV money and set it aside to provide a post-playing career annuity to college athletes, with annuity value set by each relative sports revenue (Title IX may force a minimum). If an athlete passes before the athlete receives his full annuity, his/her beneficiary gets it. This way you keep the intrinsic student-athlete value that straight pay destroys, while compensating the athlete appropriately for the revenue thay have generated.

3. Because of the Athletic Department spending caps being universal in CFB, teams don't need to spend all of their conference share, so the conferences keep the TV/merchandise excess revenue and use it to fund the annuity, on a CFB-wide universal scale. If Conference A has more money than Conference B after the annuity payouts, the remaining money is then evenly divided between Conference A's member schools NON-athletic scholarship funds.

All you have to have is leadership...Marky Mark Emmert, John Swofford,Jim Delaney and Greg Sankey like the status quo, even if it kills the sport in the end.

**** naw.. I couldn't be a fan if we got the death penalty Dwins.. i would just stick to nfl and major league baseball and playoff basketball. **** might even start watching woman's tennis again. Lol

Advertisement
Back