Article: Hurlie Brown To Be New RB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
Not sure how I feel about Hurlie in comparison to Lockett, Bennett or Soldinger...

Seems strange since he was already working for us. who would take over football operations job then?

Advertisement
Just wondering, but is this a way to make sure Hurley didnt leave for another program? Perhaps his heart is really in coaching on the field?

Seems like an odd hire. All of his playing and coaching experience is on the defensive side. Not sure of his recruiting connections. Oh well if there's one area Al has completely earned my trust it's hiring assistants, he's done a stellar job with that so far.

Advertisement
He must be pretty impressive to Golden and Co....they have been seeing his work ethic and intellect up close and personal for a while now. I also like the idea of grabbing Lockett to fill Hurlie's Position.

Well, you guys wanted a recruiter. Hurlie Brown is that and more. I just dont know if he can coach RB's....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lets be honest, Hurlie gets us in a lot of doors and is suited for dealing with some of the difficult coaches down their. Then let Crystal Ball and Coley close.

However, once again, I am just not sure if he can actually coach RB's

Last edited:
171.jpg

According to Tim Reynolds of the AP, Hurlie Brown has been named the new RB coach at UM. Before his role as Sr. Football Operations Coordinator the past 2 years, he was a DB coach at Louisiana-Lafayette from 2006-2010. Before that he held the same position at F.I.U. from 2001-2006. He's also a former player (Safety) and teammates of current Hurricane coaches Mario Cristobal and Micheal Barrow, winning two National Titles with them in 1989 and 1991.

UPDATE: Story from the MIAMI HERALD

Seems he was chosen over Donnell Bennett, Telly Lockette, and Roger Harriot

Official Statement from UM: Click Here
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – University of Miami alumnus Hurlie Brown, who won two national titles with the Canes, has been named the program’s new running backs coach, head coach Al Golden announced Sunday.

Brown had spent the previous two seasons as a member of Golden’s staff as the senior football operations coordinator and was responsible for community outreach and recruiting official visits among other administrative duties.

Prior to returning to his alma mater, Brown spent four-plus years at Louisiana-Lafayette, where he served as defensive backs/kickoff team coordinator (2007-10) and secondary coach (2010-11).

The Merritt Island, Fla., native was a standout safety for the Hurricanes from 1988-91. After winning two national titles under Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson, he began his coaching career as a graduate assistant under Erickson for the 1992 season.

He was signed as a free agent in 1992 by the Washington Redskins and signed as a free agent with the San Francisco 49ers the following season. He later went on to play for the Sacramento Gold Miners, San Antonio Texans and the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League from 1993-97. Following his CFL career, he worked as an assistant coach at Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. In May 1999, he returned to his prep alma mater, Merritt Island High School, serving as special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach before joining FIU in 2001.

Last edited:
Besides him being a former Cane and a DB coach at FIU, there is literally nothing to judge this hire off of.

I'll trust Golden though.

Advertisement
Back