Arm talent TVD v Garcia

Advertisement
The arm talent **** is meaningless in college football as long as a guy has a baseline arm. And both those guys do. Garcia looks special because he looks natural and poised and doesn’t panic. Nothing to do with arm talent, which is an overused fake scout term.

Garcia is processing quickly and is poised and knows how to play the position. So far, there’s no freeze up which is the best sign I’ve seen. He’s not even paying attention to the rush. Hopefully, that remains the case when the rush is live.
When I watched the reply of the scrimmage this was what stuck out to me. He was reading the D and getting to his check downs very quickly. He was a tick to 2 ticks quicker in getting the ball to the right guy.

I was very impressed with Garcia, not to say I wasn’t with TVD but Garcia has been on campus for 3 months

Last edited:
Advertisement
TVD made throws in the spring game that were NFL level in terms of velocity and distance. My issue with him wasn’t the arm strength it was his mechanics and relying too much on the arm without stepping into throws from time to time. It caused some of his downfield attempts to sail way off the mark.

With that said, it’s the only time I’ve seen him so it’s really nothing to go off of nor does it mean he hasn’t addressed those issues moving forward………they are correctable.

TVD has a very bright future. I'm not sure what made people question that, but I suspect it was because Enos recruited him.

Advertisement
Not sure anyone doubted VanDyke as much as everyone crowned Garcia after the spring game. The difference was that TVD treated the spring game like an actual game. He got rid of the ball fast, didn’t hold onto it and would not have taken a sack if the QBs were live. Garcia played like it was a 7 on 7 game knowing full well that he couldn’t be sacked. He made some beautiful throws but most would never have happened because the pass rush would have gotten him in an actual game setting. The coaches and the press both said TVD had the better overall spring but during the small glimpse given to fans, they saw Garcia make splash plays. I’ve said all along that I’d be very surprised if VanDyke wasn’t QB2 this year. Next year will be a battle for the starting job but right now, the first QB off the bench would be Van Dyke.

Not sure anyone doubted VanDyke as much as everyone crowned Garcia after the spring game. The difference was that TVD treated the spring game like an actual game. He got rid of the ball fast, didn’t hold onto it and would not have taken a sack if the QBs were live. Garcia played like it was a 7 on 7 game knowing full well that he couldn’t be sacked. He made some beautiful throws but most would never have happened because the pass rush would have gotten him in an actual game setting. The coaches and the press both said TVD had the better overall spring but during the small glimpse given to fans, they saw Garcia make splash plays. I’ve said all along that I’d be very surprised if VanDyke wasn’t QB2 this year. Next year will be a battle for the starting job but right now, the first QB off the bench would be Van Dyke.
I feel like we may have watched different spring games. I was amazed by the way a second semester high school senior made quick reads and got the ball out of his hands. On the longer developing plays, he showed incredible pocket presence and movement by sliding to evade the rush while keeping his eyes downfield and putting the ball on the money. It was one of the more impressive showings I've seen out of a true freshman in a spring game in a long time. TVD also had a great game where he clearly displayed he could be the guy as well, but I disagree with your assessment on Garcia.

For the first time in a long time, I am not worried about the future of our quarterback room with either of those two.

I feel like we may have watched different spring games. I was amazed by the way a second semester high school senior made quick reads and got the ball out of his hands. On the longer developing plays, he showed incredible pocket presence and movement by sliding to evade the rush while keeping his eyes downfield and putting the ball on the money. It was one of the more impressive showings I've seen out of a true freshman in a spring game in a long time. TVD also had a great game where he clearly displayed he could be the guy as well, but I disagree with your assessment on Garcia.

For the first time in a long time, I am not worried about the future of our quarterback room with either of those two.
The thing is though while you may feel that way he was graded for sacks that ended up being long completions to the fans eyes. He didn’t play bad for sure but in a real game those plays don’t happen

Advertisement
The thing is though while you may feel that way he was graded for sacks that ended up being long completions to the fans eyes. He didn’t play bad for sure but in a real game those plays don’t happen
The staff had been preaching to TVD all spring about taking the check down and getting the ball out faster because last season he was doing what Garcia did in the spring game. Looking to make the downfield play while disregarding protection. It’s clear they’re at two different levels developmentally, at least currently. The first step in learning the system and making the correct reads. The second step is accounting for pass rush/protection and how to handle real time situations. Garcia’s arm talent is superb and his ability to grasp “stage one” in one spring has me confident that he’ll be ready to challenge for the starting job inn 2022.

If Garcia wins the starting spot next season, I assume TVD transfers. But if TVD wins the starting spot, and looks **** good doing it, is it possible Garcia sticks around as a backup? That would be TVD's third year.

Or does everyone just expect one of these guys to transfer?

Advertisement
If Garcia wins the starting spot next season, I assume TVD transfers. But if TVD wins the starting spot, and looks **** good doing it, is it possible Garcia sticks around as a backup? That would be TVD's third year.

Garcia’s father would probably encourage him to transfer.

We lose one of them. Both are + starters somewhere

Advertisement
Back