Arm talent TVD v Garcia

Advertisement
Only knock I have on Garcia is His deep throws take a lil' long to come down for my taste, looks Frank Costa-ish.

Other than that, both QBs looked good yesterday, particularly on the layup throws.

TVD to Pennington..cmon man

thank you for posting this.

it’s an nfl throw for sure, and helps to kick the knuckleheads who don’t know what they’re talking about back into their holes.

what made it great was not just the arm sizzle, it’s that the recognition and release were pristine. If he’s a fraction late on either, that throw is either Inc or Int. I’m not sure we have had a qb on the roster since morris who would have even tried that throw, and not one since Erickson who would have consistently completed it.

he was wearing his big boy pants on that one.

Anyone who watched the spring game had to have noticed the arm talent of Garcia compared to TVD. On a hyperbole comparison TVD is more Chad Pennington, Garcia is more Favre. The quick release and horsepower is evident. Having said that you can win with either. If TVD has anticipation and can “throw a wr open” it won’t matter.
Don’t know how long you’ve been watching football but arm strength it’s TVD and it’s not close. Go see the film again. Garcia puts everything into his throws. TVD has what you call easy gas.

At least we're trying to find the one that sucks the least like a few years ago.

Advertisement
Only knock I have on Garcia is His deep throws take a lil' long to come down for my taste, looks Frank Costa-ish.

Other than that, both QBs looked good yesterday, particularly on the layup throws.
You mean that he has touch on the ball? I’d take that over King’s darts all day long. King’s deep ball reminds me of Robert Marve. Granted King did improve in that area as the season went on. It’s better to let your guy track the ball and run under it on a deep ball. There’s a time for a dart if the guy is wide open. Jake can make that throw also. He did it several times in the HS playoffs.

The arm talent **** is meaningless in college football as long as a guy has a baseline arm. And both those guys do. Garcia looks special because he looks natural and poised and doesn’t panic. Nothing to do with arm talent, which is an overused fake scout term.

Garcia is processing quickly and is poised and knows how to play the position. So far, there’s no freeze up which is the best sign I’ve seen. He’s not even paying attention to the rush. Hopefully, that remains the case when the rush is live.
I respect and always value your posts. But arm talent is not meaningless at this level. Being able to effectively throw the ball when off balance with a DE chasing you because protection broke down is important. And I’m not saying TVD can’t do this but watching the spring game I know Garcia can. He doesn’t need to have his feet set, shoulders in line to make the throw.

Evaluating QBs on meaningless characteristics in controlled environments is a fruitless endeavor. I realized it's the offseason but FFS

Advertisement
What is nice is that it looks like we have a quality QB room.

I have never cared as much about arm strength in college QB's because there are reasons people say "he was a great college QB" and it doesn't translate to the professional level. We have had a few of those at the U and were rather successful. Strength and all those other qualities are great but I want the guy who can read a defense and get it into the hands of our play makers.

I want the guy who walks into the huddle down by 6 with 90 yards to go in about a minute and says "lets' go score fellas"...then leads the team to the promised land. Don't care if it is King, DVD, or JG.

King is the guy and really liked them letting him call plays. Shows the faith they have in him as a leader.

The throw by DVD was nice but Rambo caught it. He really caught it.

Advertisement
If any of our QBs were half as good as Pennington in college we wouldn’t be complete for the better part of two decades

The arm talent **** is meaningless in college football as long as a guy has a baseline arm. And both those guys do. Garcia looks special because he looks natural and poised and doesn’t panic. Nothing to do with arm talent, which is an overused fake scout term.

Garcia is processing quickly and is poised and knows how to play the position. So far, there’s no freeze up which is the best sign I’ve seen. He’s not even paying attention to the rush. Hopefully, that remains the case when the rush is live.

yes.

i've said this so many times over the years, i'm bored: of the top ten qualities that one uses to evaluate a QB, the proverbial "arm strength" is about 8th on the list. The tape CanesLegacy posted above where TVD strikes the out to the far hash is a perfect example. as i said above, you need a strong arm to make that throw. no doubt. but if TVD doesn't recognize and release quickly on that throw, you're looking at an INC at best. more likely, it's a pick-6, and no amount of arm is going to make up for it.

what made that play by TVD was QB awareness, clean, quick release/mechanics, and excellent ball placement (accuracy). jarren williams has a strong arm. anyone think he makes that play?? not likely.

THank you Cane Legacy, TVD had 3 of those far hash throws. The dudes arm is ridiculousness strength i

it’s an nfl throw for sure, and helps to kick the knuckleheads who don’t know what they’re talking about back into their holes.

what made it great was not just the arm sizzle, it’s that the recognition and release were pristine. If he’s a fraction late on either, that throw is either Inc or Int. I’m not sure we have had a qb on the roster since morris who would have even tried that throw, and not one since Erickson who would have consistently completed it.

he was wearing his big boy pants on that one.This was a gray throw. He threw with timing and in like you said.

he was wearing his big boy pants on that one.
This was a great throw. Timing and anticipation was fantastic.

Advertisement
yes.

i've said this so many times over the years, i'm bored: of the top ten qualities that one uses to evaluate a QB, the proverbial "arm strength" is about 8th on the list. The tape CanesLegacy posted above where TVD strikes the out to the far hash is a perfect example. as i said above, you need a strong arm to make that throw. no doubt. but if TVD doesn't recognize and release quickly on that throw, you're looking at an INC at best. more likely, it's a pick-6, and no amount of arm is going to make up for it.

what made that play by TVD was QB awareness, clean, quick release/mechanics, and excellent ball placement (accuracy). jarren williams has a strong arm. anyone think he makes that play?? not likely.
I agree. My post was simply acknowledging Garcia can make throws off balance/ under pressure that TVD hasn’t shown yet that he can make. Brady can’t make those throws - doesn’t make him not a winner. Again, I’m not anointing Garcia a better QB than TVD.

Last edited:

We can condense this to a new term: "The Gunslinger Quotient" because IMO, he has it.

Advertisement
Back