Arkstate article

Arkansas State doesn't have a player on their roster we would recruit, a coach we would want, or an administrator we would hire for a comparable position at UM. They are like a low level MMA fighter trying to get attention by talking trash about what they would do to Conor McGegor.

Advertisement
I was a student at UM at the time of Hurricane Andrew. I happened to be in Boston at the time of the storm and was scheduled to fly back to MIA on the morning of August 24, 1992. My flight was cancelled and I couldn't fly back to MIA until August 31 or September 1, 1992. Anyone who doesn't think that traveling is a problem after a hurricane has never been through a hurricane.

I fortunately lived north of Kendall, but helped with cleanup several days after in just the Kendall area.

About a week later, I was in Honestead and it literally looked like pictures I've seen of Hiroshima after the bomb. If you've ever seen that kind of devastation in person you see the impact. I mean houses and businesses were literally blown up, miles and miles were just leveled. Flattened. I always wondered how it was that hundreds or even thousands weren't killed.

My buddy picked me up at MIA and drove west to get to the Turnpike south to show me the devastation. Every house was flattened, every tree was down, planes at MIA were upside down on the runways, there was no electricity in most places for weeks, in short, it was a mess. I had never seen anything like that, haven't seen it since, and hope to never again see it. The difference is I have a wife and kids I need to protect. If you can't comprehend how dangerous these storms can be, I hope you are never in one.

Yep, same here

Jonesboro, Arkansas is most famous for a school shooting that occurred nearly 20 years ago. That tells you all you need to know about the importance of their football program and university.

I was a student at UM at the time of Hurricane Andrew. I happened to be in Boston at the time of the storm and was scheduled to fly back to MIA on the morning of August 24, 1992. My flight was cancelled and I couldn't fly back to MIA until August 31 or September 1, 1992. Anyone who doesn't think that traveling is a problem after a hurricane has never been through a hurricane.

I fortunately lived north of Kendall, but helped with cleanup several days after in just the Kendall area.

About a week later, I was in Honestead and it literally looked like pictures I've seen of Hiroshima after the bomb. If you've ever seen that kind of devastation in person you see the impact. I mean houses and businesses were literally blown up, miles and miles were just leveled. Flattened. I always wondered how it was that hundreds or even thousands weren't killed.

My buddy picked me up at MIA and drove west to get to the Turnpike south to show me the devastation. Every house was flattened, every tree was down, planes at MIA were upside down on the runways, there was no electricity in most places for weeks, in short, it was a mess. I had never seen anything like that, haven't seen it since, and hope to never again see it. The difference is I have a wife and kids I need to protect. If you can't comprehend how dangerous these storms can be, I hope you are never in one.

I was already living in Maryland when Andrew hit soFla, but my brother came up from Miami 1.5 weeks after the hurricane to interview for
a job, and I remember him telling me how nice it was to be in an area where there was electricity, traffic lights worked, garbage being picked up,
and lots of food available in super markets.
And this is someone who was living in the Miami Lakes area at the time.
I thought I was talking to a relative who had just flown in from Cuba.

His sister-in-law's house in Homestead, right off the turnpike was completely wiped off the face of the earth.
Only one of the bathrooms remained.

The following spring I drive past that area on the way to the keys and you could still see the devastation.

Amazing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back