App State - Jet Sweeps and Outside Zone Reads

CaniacMike21

Senior
Should I be worried about them finding success with these? I think they'll feature in their game plan, similar to the Tennessee game. I'm not a defensive guru, so I'm not sure if this plays into the hands of our style of defense or not.

Advertisement
I fully suspect them to break one due to wrong placement by a defender but our team speed should keep it in check most the game

If they beat us it's becuase of turnovers like Tennessee experienced

I feel like this type of rush attack will put a lot of pressure on our LBs to not overreact and over pursue.

I'm confident we'll win and there's nothing about App State that worries me a great deal, but I have a little concern about this.

Will be good prep for playing GT. Defense will need discipline. Can't freelance against this kind of team, or GT. Games like this are lost with turnovers, and when the favored team overlooks the underdog. After UT, and all the hype, they won't be overlooked. I could even see Miami being very motivated by how much the press it talking up App St.

You should be worried about possibly being a giant *****. Unless they get to use actual jets, we've got the speed advantage.

Advertisement
our 2 DE's played in BTW with the guy they run them with, hopefully they give hopkins a miserable day

Saturday will be all about discipline and making sure you're doing your assignment, not the Fritos kind either. It's an easy thing to point out that our young LBs will be challenged but I think the biggest challenge will be to our safeties. Carter and Jenkins don't exactly run the alley with discipline. Jenkins missed a tackle last week and FAU scored on a long run - that's been a weak spot in his game since day 1. I'm not sure what Carter is doing half the time other than looking good in pads. Chad and Djax are long so they cover a ton of space and they are athletic as ****. Thomas's effort this year is night and day from last year. Also, our anterior has to be completely disruptive. They will have to penetrate every play and I think they will. The country is going to find out how good this Dline is Saturday.

Our scheme is well-suited to defend against Jet sweeps unless the Nickel (Jaquan) or Will (Pinkney) lose leverage on their side pinching too far inside AND the Safety behind them fails to fill the alley. A couple of fake bubble screens may initially catch us as Jaquan or Pinkney read the slot WR and we're left with Carter or Jenkins being forced to make an open field tackle, but generally it's not what we should be concerned about.

Our biggest concern against the run game is inside or the running QB. I suspect Diaz will adjust and show more single high safety than he typically does because of it.

So, if you're just watching at home, look out for whether we're playing 2 safeties deep or just 1 in the middle. It'll tell you enough about what we're trying to stop. If Mcintosh/Norton/Willis have big days and slip their inside doubles and chips that allow the G/C to tandem against DT and still get to Quarterman, App State is going to have a long f'in day. If they're successful there, we may see some of those gashing runs I've told you I worry about.

All in all, I don't think they can do that consistently enough without a viable QB threat to hit 12-15 yard in routes between our LBs/Nickel and Safeties. If that were the case, like it will be against FSU, then I'd say we're in for a war. I think their QB is too inaccurate for that consistency and therefore I bet on Miami to cover.

I'm totally confused by the line and not sure what I am missing, though. F* it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I fully suspect them to break one due to wrong placement by a defender but our team speed should keep it in check most the game

They are not beating us. Stop the nonsense!! I'm worried for teams like fswho & n lame, those are teams of our caliber! Not appy state, yes they're a good team, but just not on our level. Even if we have depth issues. Stop it with that weak ****. We coming!! I'm in NJ, and I'm still trying to find something online to drop 500 hundred on this game dammit!! But guess it's still illegal for NJ residents, go figure!!

They are not beating us. Stop the nonsense!! I'm worried for teams like fswho & n lame, those are teams of our caliber! Not appy state, yes they're a good team, but just not on our level. Even if we have depth issues. Stop it with that weak ****. We coming!! I'm in NJ, and I'm still trying to find something online to drop 500 hundred on this game dammit!! But guess it's still illegal for NJ residents, go figure!!
I didn't say they were going to beat us

I said if they did it would have to be because of turnovers and everything else I stated shows that we have the supreme advantage.

People are *****ing about this whole "people worried about app" thing and in return are jumping to conclusions about everything and turning the board to ****

I never said app was going to beat us.

Jump to assumptions on someone else's post

Our scheme is well-suited to defend against Jet sweeps unless the Nickel (Jaquan) or Will (Pinkney) lose leverage on their side pinching too far inside AND the Safety behind them fails to fill the alley. A couple of fake bubble screens may initially catch us as Jaquan or Pinkney read the slot WR and we're left with Carter or Jenkins being forced to make an open field tackle, but generally it's not what we should be concerned about.

Our biggest concern against the run game is inside or the running QB. I suspect Diaz will adjust and show more single high safety than he typically does because of it.

So, if you're just watching at home, look out for whether we're playing 2 safeties deep or just 1 in the middle. It'll tell you enough about what we're trying to stop. If Mcintosh/Norton/Willis have big days and slip their inside doubles and chips that allow the G/C to tandem against DT and still get to Quarterman, App State is going to have a long f'in day. If they're successful there, we may see some of those gashing runs I've told you I worry about.

All in all, I don't think they can do that consistently enough without a viable QB threat to hit 12-15 yard in routes between our LBs/Nickel and Safeties. If that were the case, like it will be against FSU, then I'd say we're in for a war. I think their QB is too inaccurate for that consistency and therefore I bet on Miami to cover.

we were -25 against FAU, and somehow -3 against App State.. am i wrong to think app state is only slightly better than FAU? or are they MUCH better?

Jaquan Johnson gonna do this all day attachment-7.jpg

Advertisement

I said if they did it would have to be because of turnovers and everything else I stated shows that we have the supreme advantage.

People are *****ing about this whole "people worried about app" thing and in return are jumping to conclusions about everything and turning the board to ****

Not jumping at all my brother, just tired of this worrisome talk of app st. will it be a good game for sure, but we rolling them out of their own place! Kaaya and co. With Richt, we're going to make a statement come Saturday!

Not jumping at all my brother, just tired of this worrisome talk of app st. will it be a good game for sure, but we rolling them out of their own place! Kaaya and co. With Richt, we're going to make a statement come Saturday!
Yes sir. Gonna be a great day for the canes Saturday

And a ****** one for Tennessee in the public eye which is always nice

You should be worried about possibly being a giant ****. Unless they get to use actual jets, we've got the speed advantage.

I'm not so sure we have a speed advantage. Size yes,speed-not so sure. These kids are 2 stars for one of 2 reasons 1.Too Small 2.Too Slow

App st has recruited speed over size and their D front 7 can move just as fast as ours-we are just bigger.

Advertisement

THIS.

Remove the threat of the QB running, and you basically neuter their offense.

Their QB Lamb can't consistently hit a receiver more than 10 yards out.

Stop their gimmicky offense, and we roll.

I would NOT want to be that QB trying to make plays with his feet. He might die.

You should be worried about possibly being a giant ****. Unless they get to use actual jets, we've got the speed advantage.

I'm not so sure we have a speed advantage. Size yes,speed-not so sure. These kids are 2 stars for one of 2 reasons 1.Too Small 2.Too Slow

App st has recruited speed over size and their D front 7 can move just as fast as ours-we are just bigger.

I'm sure that's what they tried to recruit, but I'm doubtful that they've pulled it off. And as you point out, Miami is as fast while being bigger...sounds like a recipe for winning.

Advertisement
Back