AP Poll

One loss v zero losses

Math should be pretty simple for you
That’s not what rankings are. If you want that just look at win column, we wouldn’t need a poll for that…. You admitted that you think cinncinatti can’t beat Bama or Georgia. So if you were an AP voter, following the guidelines set out in the poll, you would be obligated to rank Bama #2.

Advertisement
Why? I’d much rather them choke UF out next weekend.

Arent y’all tired of the same ole re-treads every year winning it all? I don’t want to see Bama or OU or Ohio St in the playoffs.
I want the death of the lizard for sure. I also want to see a change at the top but it is not reality. They (the teams you mentioned) have the ability to bag up. If Miami did it the NCAA would level the program.

Bama are really good.
But with the perception of the SEC the way it is, and Bama’s clout either:

- you lose to Bama badly. “Well Bama are good, of course you got blown out”

- you lose close. “Bama just probably had a slip up and (insert SEC team) are better than expected

- you beat Bama “it couldn’t be just a weird week in college football where the stars align, that happens to every other team, but not Bama, conclusion being, this team that just won, must be great. To beat the tide they must be fantastic…but Bama is still better”.

Having said all that the eye test shows they are still one of the top 3 teams this year.
- UGA
- Bama
- Ohio State are rounding into Nat Championship form

Advertisement
You guys are overthinking this big time.
1) its just the AP poll.. Which is useless as are most of the polls. The only poll that matters is the CFB playoff ranking.
2) Not only that but the coaches poll has the top 6 teams ranked exactly the same...
3) Bama would roll Cincy yet are still ranked behind them
4) I would take Ohio St over Cincy in a head to head
5) I don't even get what the buzz about Michigan even is? They haven't really played anyone. Oh wow they beat Rutgers by 7 points. What a powerhouse.

None of this matters, per usual, because it all ends up straitening itself out by the end of the season. Michigan will have to play Ohio st. Michigan will have to play Michigan St. Michigan will still have to play Penn St, etc. Once they drop one or all of those games you wont even see them in the playoff contention anymore. The same can be said for all the other teams.
The only scenario in which you can complain is if somehow both Bama and Georgia both make it into the playoffs. And even then, it will only be because of the "unfairness" of the matter. Not actually because there would be another team out there that even stands a chance against them. There's still plenty of football left to play and I feel like it is in such poor taste to always be complaining about Bama this Bama that. How about we go out there and beat Bama when we have them on our schedule or at least keep it competitive when we have an entire offseason to prepare for them instead of getting absolutely demolished 44-13 in a game where they took their foot off the gas? How about that instead?

That’s not what rankings are. If you want that just look at win column, we wouldn’t need a poll for that…. You admitted that you think cinncinatti can’t beat Bama or Georgia. So if you were an AP voter, following the guidelines set out in the poll, you would be obligated to rank Bama #2.

Yes that it is the problem I am pointing out. You can't have it both ways. If the justification for putting Bama above the other undefeated P5 teams is because their one loss does not look as bad now and they would beat the undefeated teams behind them, then they should also be in front of Cincy. If Cincy and Bama played, Bama would be a 3 TD favorite. So why is Cincy ahead of Bama? Because they are being rewarded for being undefeated. Who did Cincy beat that justifies such a high rank? ND? If they played Ohio State, they would also be at least 20 point dogs. So why aren't the other teams being rewarded for being undefeated or their losses minimized? Oregon arguably has the most impressive win, beating what was then #3 Ohio St on the road. Their one loss happened when their OC had to hospitalized just before the game. Thats absolutely devastating. So why can't we rationalize that loss away the way they rationalize Bamas loss to TAMU? They should be in the top 4 if we are rationalizing losses.

I have no problem with putting Bama at #2 if the logic is that they are better than all the rest but UGA. But then Cincy should be near the bottom of the top 10. The way it looks (and the way it is) is that losses count against every team but Bama.

You guys are overthinking this big time.
1) its just the AP poll.. Which is useless as are most of the polls. The only poll that matters is the CFB playoff ranking.
2) Not only that but the coaches poll has the top 6 teams ranked exactly the same...
3) Bama would roll Cincy yet are still ranked behind them
4) I would take Ohio St over Cincy in a head to head
5) I don't even get what the buzz about Michigan even is? They haven't really played anyone. Oh wow they beat Rutgers by 7 points. What a powerhouse.

None of this matters, per usual, because it all ends up straitening itself out by the end of the season. Michigan will have to play Ohio st. Michigan will have to play Michigan St. Michigan will still have to play Penn St, etc. Once they drop one or all of those games you wont even see them in the playoff contention anymore. The same can be said for all the other teams.
The only scenario in which you can complain is if somehow both Bama and Georgia both make it into the playoffs. And even then, it will only be because of the "unfairness" of the matter. Not actually because there would be another team out there that even stands a chance against them. There's still plenty of football left to play and I feel like it is in such poor taste to always be complaining about Bama this Bama that. How about we go out there and beat Bama when we have them on our schedule or at least keep it competitive when we have an entire offseason to prepare for them instead of getting absolutely demolished 44-13 in a game where they took their foot off the gas? How about that instead?
Correct. Final poll only one that counts. Never concerned about where the Canes are during the season. If they deserve to be top ten at the end they will be..This year I doubt they finish top 30.

Advertisement
Yea I figured they would be #2

It would be strange have them at #2 but at least I could understand the logic (they would beat all the other teams behind). What makes no sense is to put them behind Cincy if that is the rationale. And if the justification for putting a G5 that just beat a 1 win Navy team by 7 ahead of Bama is that Cincy hasn't lost a game yet, then all the other P5s that are undefeated should also be in front of Bama.

They still beat the 10 ranked team by 21…and it’s not only resume but who you think would beat who

If that is your logic then why do you agree with Cincinnati being ahead of Bama? It's obviously not resume as Cincinnati's schedule, outside ND, is a joke.

So then you must think Cincy would beat Bama?
Pleas say yes as I need a good laugh today.

Advertisement
Cristobal will win out. There’s going to be pressure to include the PAC-12 Championship winner this time around. Oregon will be brutally exposed by Bama in the playoffs.

I know I'm old school and wrong in most eyes, but results on the field should be reflected in the rankings for Power 5 teams. More than likely, it will all work out by the end of the season. If you're Power 5 and undefeated, it should show in the rankings.

Georgia
Oklahoma
Michigan
Michigan State
Wake Forest

Would Alabama be favored against all of those teams? Yes, except perhaps Georgia. However, they LOST a game. The pretenders will be known by the end of the year and lose a game. Michigan or Michigan State will be knocked off by the other. If Georgia, Oklahoma, Michigan/Michigan State, and Wake Forest go undefeated and win their respective conference title games, they should be in the playoff. If Alabama or Georgia gets in over an undefeated Power 5 champion, you might as well make the SEC its own division of college football and make the rest of us Division II.

Advertisement
predict schitts creek GIF by CBC

It's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. Bama can't possibly have a bad loss- if a team beats them it means that team must have been one of the better teams in the country even if their ranking at the time didn't reflect that. TAMU lost to Mike Leach, whose Mississippi St team has 1/10 their talent.

Still this should be an eye opener for Mario Cristobal. His 1 loss Oregon team is #7. The way I project the remainder of the season, they won't make the playoffs. In most years, a 1 loss Pac12 team is going to be ranked below 1 loss teams in the other P5 conferences (east coast bias is real) . He has zero margin for error at Oregon.
Bro, it’s truly a monopoly. The SEC have the game rigged on rankings, & b/c every game is a “big game” it’s got NFL scouts & recruits on lock too.

Name 3 better teams than bama

Not Cincinnati. Yet Cincy is head of them. The only possible reason why is they are undefeated and have a victory over ND. They are being heavily rewarded for being undefeated. Next week #6 Michigan plays #8 Michigan St. If Michigan wins, do you think they jump to #2 ahead of Cincinnati? Not a chance in the world yet their SOS and best win would blow Cincy out of the water. So if the AP voters are going to put Cincinnati ahead of Bama then all the other undefeated teams should be ahead of Bama as well. This is why I am baffled that Bama is #3. It should either be #2 (because you think they would still beat everyone but UGA) or #7, after all the other undefeated teams. A G5 gets rewarded for being undefeated and is ranked ahead of Bama, but the other undefeated P5 aren't? That makes no sense. Personally I think they should be after all the undefeated teams.

If you want to use the excuse "well TAMU was a tougher opponent than they looked" then Oregon should get a pass for losing to Stanford without their OC. Bama had their full roster and lost to a team that was unranked nearly halfway through the season. They are getting a pass because you and a bunch of other SEC slurpers are writing it off as "well it doesn't mean anything because there aren't 3 better teams than Bama."

If you want to trot out that excuse after a Bama loss, then the AP should just put in a formal rule that says that one Bama loss per season should be disregarded and voters are to assume that Bama would beat all the teams in front of them, even a team they just lost to.

Advertisement
Back