Anyone worried about the middle of the Dline this year?

Advertisement
You dont think it ridiculous. Your taking your best pass rusher and moving him out of position where he is elite. Just to move him to a position where he is "effective" at is not counter productive? You could have moved Miller to that spot on 3rd down where he had collapsed the pocket at the rate Rousseau has and play the run better. While still having Rousseau coming off the edge. Add the fact the player that behind was him was no where at his skill level that Rousseau was at.

He picked up a huge percentage of his sacks last season playing inside. Suggest you watch the highlights from the FSU game where all four of his sacks came while lining up there.

Advertisement
I mean were you upset with the dline play last year? All we did was add depth and experience, we did not lose an impact DT.

Also, with our DEs, you have to think that is where teams are going to double team so the interior should get some favorable match-ups.
To answer your question, yes, this was a noticeable drop off last year. Not enough to be upset or to hurt us but enough to notice that we weren't as effective as when we had Willis or McIntosh. It didn't help that Silvera got off to a slow start because of injury but I'm still looking for the day that we can get pressure with a 4 man rush.

Pitt and GT both gained fewer than 350 yds of total offense against our defense. UNC had 389 and they beat us through the air. We held them under 100 yds rushing.

I'd like to know which team on our schedule in 2020 you think is gonna be able to line up and pound the ball on the ground against our defense.

Is there a single team you have in mind?
So you're saying we have a crappy schedule playing mostly finesse teams or teams that don't play a power game very well.

I'm more concerned when we step up a level and start playing the Clemson's, Bama's GA's or even Wisconsin's.

I’m very high on Miller. I thought he flashed quite a bit in the limited number of snaps last year. So long as he improves his conditioning, he should be a big contributor this year as the 3rd DT.

For what I've heard, conditioning has been his limited factor. He improves that, he'll get more burn.

Two things to notice in this highlight vid.

1) Look how many times GR made plays from the DT/NT position. He's arguably better inside than outside.
2) There isn't a ton of blitzing going on here. Most of these plays are using a four man rush. Occasionally you'll see a linebacker coming late because he was assigned to spy but the QB doesn't leave the pocket. You have to give offenses different looks and bring pressure from different areas because being predictable gets you beat in today's game.

Advertisement
Miller doesn’t do anything at the rate of Rousseau and actually the interior is the quicker route to the qb so you can’t say he would have more sacks on the edge if he just stayed there
Maybe he can't say it (nor I for that matter), but someone who charts all the plays over a season (like a Lance Roffers) could say. I don't know the answer, but I do know that unless you have an elite DT (like Jerome Brown or Warren Sapp) or sending an inside blitz, you're going to get most of your pressure from the edge. There's just too much traffic inside to get there quick enough.

1) Look how many times GR made plays from the DT/NT position. He's arguably better inside than outside.
2) There isn't a ton of blitzing going on here. Most of these plays are using a four man rush. Occasionally you'll see a linebacker coming late because he was assigned to spy but the QB doesn't leave the pocket. You have to give offenses different looks and bring pressure from different areas because being predictable gets you beat in today's game.

I always chuckle when people mock our coaches for lining him up inside. Dude was a matchup nightmare and absolutely crushed it there.

What is this you say?

Advertisement
Maybe he can't say it (nor I for that matter), but someone who charts all the plays over a season (like a Lance Roffers) could say. I don't know the answer, but I do know that unless you have an elite DT (like Jerome Brown or Warren Sapp) or sending an inside blitz, you're going to get most of your pressure from the edge. There's just too much traffic inside to get there quick enough.

It's just football logic. But people will look at the highlights and see him beating Central Michigan oline and FSU oline in the inside and say its effective. A DC playing GR15 inside is like playing Von Miller or Julius Peppers at NT on passing downs. That DC would get fired before he can even explain himself in a press conference.

It's just football logic. But people will look at the highlights and see him beating Central Michigan oline and FSU oline in the inside and say its effective. A DC playing GR15 inside is like playing Von Miller or Julius Peppers at NT on passing downs. That DC would get fired before he can even explain himself in a press conference.
Are the Rams stupid for playing Aaron Donald inside on passing downs? By moving Rousseau inside on passing downs, it allows them to play another pass rushing end outside. It’s about getting your best pass rushers on the field together. There’s ton of video evidence that GR is a fantastic inside pass rusher. Not taking advantage of that would get a DC fired

Advertisement
Are the Rams stupid for playing Aaron Donald inside on passing downs? By moving Rousseau inside on passing downs, it allows them to play another pass rushing end outside. It’s about getting your best pass rushers on the field together. There’s ton of video evidence that GR is a fantastic inside pass rusher. Not taking advantage of that would get a DC fired

Aaron Donald is a DT. Was always a DT.. so no the rams are not stupid

Sounds like you didn’t watch Rousseau play much just listing fsu and central Michigan as the only games he had sacks on the interior. He also did it vs va tech, uf, unc as well

Aaron Donald is a DT. Was always a DT.. so no the rams are not stupid
So if we switch the letters next to Rousseau‘s name from DE to DT, it will be a smart decision? Inside pass rush is far more valuable than edge rush because the quarterback can’t step up in the pocket to avoid it. There’s a limited number of guys who can get pressure from the DT position so it makes the skill even more valuable since it’s rare.

Advertisement
Back