Anyone worried about the middle of the Dline this year?

Advertisement
It's not the Golden/Shannon days of our DT's being on skates 5 yards up field but we're really getting little as far as disruption up the middle. Ford didn't really take the step that was reported and Nesta is limited athletically, his best attribute is his effort.

I thought Miller looks good but never seemed to get the snaps. We're really missing that McIntosh type up the middle that can get some inside pressure, you'll need that vs the Clemsons of the world. There were games where the only real pressure I saw from the interior was when 15 was there. We need Hunte and Holley to be something and need to land guys like Taylor.

Until we get some proven talent up the middle the best D line in the nation talk needs to chill.

In 2020 most downs are obvious passing situations unless your playing in the Big 10.
Not really. Most college teams still run the ball more than they throw it. They just run from spread formations now. Being able to run the ball and stop the run is still a huge key for success.

It's not the Golden/Shannon days of our DT's being on skates 5 yards up field but we're really getting little as far as disruption up the middle. Ford didn't really take the step that was reported and Nesta is limited athletically, his best attribute is his effort.

I thought Miller looks good but never seemed to get the snaps. We're really missing that McIntosh type up the middle that can get some inside pressure, you'll need that vs the Clemsons of the world. There were games where the only real pressure I saw from the interior was when 15 was there. We need Hunte and Holley to be something and need to land guys like Taylor.

Until we get some proven talent up the middle the best D line in the nation talk needs to chill.
We fielded a top 5 dline statistically with those same dts we have that will play in 2020 minus bethel so while they may not have exploded on the scene they have some experience. I get What you are saying though

Advertisement
Pretty ridiculous statement considering how effective Rousseau was there last year in the plays he was lined up in the interior of the defense

You dont think it ridiculous. Your taking your best pass rusher and moving him out of position where he is elite. Just to move him to a position where he is "effective" at is not counter productive? You could have moved Miller to that spot on 3rd down where he had collapsed the pocket at the rate Rousseau has and play the run better. While still having Rousseau coming off the edge. Add the fact the player that behind was him was no where at his skill level that Rousseau was at.

You dont think it ridiculous. Your taking your best pass rusher and moving him out of position where he is elite. Just to move him to a position where he is "effective" at is not counter productive? You could have moved Miller to that spot on 3rd down where he had collapsed the pocket at the rate Rousseau has and play the run better. While still having Rousseau coming off the edge. Add the fact the player that behind was him was no where at his skill level that Rousseau was at.
Rousseau got snaps there on passing downs. Miller isn’t a pass rusher. And Rousseau also got about half his sacks from inside so he is just a great pass rusher regardless

Rousseau got snaps there on passing downs. Miller isn’t a pass rusher. And Rousseau also got about half his sacks from inside so he is just a great pass rusher regardless

Take your elite pass rusher and take him out of the best spot for a pass rusher on a passing down? So if Rousseau was coming off the edge on those passing downs. How many more sacks would he have? Also I never said Miller is a passer rusher but he collapse the interior of a O-Line at the rate Rousseau does. Which makes that move counter productive.

Take your elite pass rusher and take him out of the best spot for a pass rusher on a passing down? So if Rousseau was coming off the edge on those passing downs. How many more sacks would he have? Also I never said Miller is a passer rusher but he collapse the interior of a O-Line at the rate Rousseau does. Which makes that move counter productive.
Miller doesn’t do anything at the rate of Rousseau and actually the interior is the quicker route to the qb so you can’t say he would have more sacks on the edge if he just stayed there

Advertisement
Advertisement
Of all the things I have to worry about for 2020, our defensive tackles rank just below catching ebola.

Because we played a weak *** schedule?
Rush yards per game
CMU #42
VaTech #49
LaTech #52
FIU #63
GT #72
Duke #79
FSU #93

Florida #109
UVA #117
Pitt #118

4 non P5 teams on the schedule will help. But I know, I’m wrong because you know more.
And you can beat that TFL drum all you want but it means something In this defense. The defense is designed to cause chaos up front to force TOs. So the lack of TFLs is directly coorelated to the lack of turnovers forced which was 20, down from 25 in ‘18 and 31 in ‘17.
I could keep going but I gotta put the kids to bed. Feel free to debunk

You should add UNC who was #38, and Louisville who was #24. That would make 9 out of 12 games that were opponents we played the previous year.
I'll list our performance in rushing yards vs their season average in rushing YPG. Green means we held them under their average, red means they performed better against us.

Louisville - 60 yards
UNC - 91 yards
CMU - 150 yards

VATech - 23 yards
LaTech - 8 yards
FIU - 28 yards
GaTech - 55 yards (Our worst run defense of the year)
Duke - 19
FSU - 109 (They had 31 yards) LMFAO FVCK FSU
UF- 79 (They had 50 yards) LOL FVCK YALL TOO

UVA - 47
Pitt - 58

Our 2 biggest rivals combined for 81 yards man..

So...next year, we'll be playing:
-Michigan St who had a worse run offense than UF and FSU
-UAB who's run offense ranks between GT/Duke (So below average)
-Temple who's between FSU and UF
-Wake Forest who's between VaTech and LaTech
-Wagner to replace Bethune.

So I'll ask the same question that I always ask when people say "We didn't play anyone".

Are we going to bash our defense for what they didn't do against schools we didn't play?

Because we played a weak *** schedule?
Rush yards per game
CMU #42
VaTech #49
LaTech #52
FIU #63
GT #72
Duke #79
FSU #93
Florida #109
UVA #117
Pitt #118
4 non P5 teams on the schedule will help. But I know, I’m wrong because you know more.
And you can beat that TFL drum all you want but it means something In this defense. The defense is designed to cause chaos up front to force TOs. So the lack of TFLs is directly coorelated to the lack of turnovers forced which was 20, down from 25 in ‘18 and 31 in ‘17.
I could keep going but I gotta put the kids to bed. Feel free to debunk

We can only play who they put on the schedule. So you're saying if we played teams with better RYPG we wouldn't have done as well. Why because you say so? LOL

Advertisement
Worrying about DTs has become automatic over the last 10 years. I'll stop when I see pee stains on QBs running away from the center of the pocket. DE sacks are great but those panic throws from a collapsing middle of a pocket always seemed to result in picks that scar the qbs' memories and bring rewards in 4th quarters. Lack of Miami level DTs and overall speed are what has been missing for years. Oh sure we need better QB play but no offense makes cowards of the other team.

I think the argument is that he was as good if not more effective rushing from the interior so, no, it wasn’t counter productive at all. Plus moving him inside lets you get another freak of nature on the field to rush the passer as well

I'll say it again this is the year Holley balls. He was the most talked about DT on scout last year and in the spring. Kid has great moves and is very strong.

When you have to dig back two years to find an opponent who really killed us in the running game, you're really searching. A majority of the defensive players that started against Wisconsin aren't even on the team anymore.

Advertisement
Back