Anyone have Vernon Carey's email?

Advertisement
Like I have said for 2 years dude is overrated and I already see his NBA stock has him in the 20's

Not elite

A) Vern said that if the kid played football that he wouldn't have had any choice in what college he was going to.

B) In his heart of hearts Vern knows his kid is soft. Perhaps that still translates in today's basketball but I'm not going to lose too much sleep over his kid or hold it against Vernon.

I like Vernon Carey Jr and I was hoping he would attend Miami like his mother and father. By deciding to attend Duke, it means he did not want to lead or be different. He wanted and felt like going to Duke would help him get to the NBA. I would disagree but that is neither here nor there.

Staying home and taking 20 shots a game while leading your hometown or local school requires a kid to have a different mentality. It is easy to go to a good team and fit in. Too easy as we never know how good you really are. Going against the grain or the norm is not always received with praise. Normally ridicule comes first. Vernon did not understand how much of a leader he could be, if leading is what he wanted to do.

Vernon Carey and Scottie Barnes would have changed Miami basketball similar to how Melvin Bratton and Alonzo HighSmith changed Miami football. Miami still has a chance with Scottie Barnes. We as fans knew that they would have that type of impact, unfortunately, Vernon did not feel the same way.

Actually, I kinda feel bad for Vernon because he is a left handed forward following after the Zion Williamson train. Every move he makes will be compared to Zion and some people will consider him a disappointment because he was not like Zion. Which was never realistic.

I wish him nothing but success in his one year at Duke but it is still GO Canes when Miami plays Duke.

Miami will try again with the Carey family in 2023 as his little brother (6'7 260) plays with the NightRydas Elite 14u team, which may be the best travel basketball team in that age group.

Again, GO CANES.

Advertisement
I like Vernon Carey Jr and I was hoping he would attend Miami like his mother and father. By deciding to attend Duke, it means he did not want to lead or be different. He wanted and felt like going to Duke would help him get to the NBA. I would disagree but that is neither here nor there.

Staying home and taking 20 shots a game while leading your hometown or local school requires a kid to have a different mentality. It is easy to go to a good team and fit in. Too easy as we never know how good you really are. Going against the grain or the norm is not always received with praise. Normally ridicule comes first. Vernon did not understand how much of a leader he could be, if leading is what he wanted to do.

Vernon Carey and Scottie Barnes would have changed Miami basketball similar to how Melvin Bratton and Alonzo HighSmith changed Miami football. Miami still has a chance with Scottie Barnes. We as fans knew that they would have that type of impact, unfortunately, Vernon did not feel the same way.

Actually, I kinda feel bad for Vernon because he is a left handed forward following after the Zion Williamson train. Every move he makes will be compared to Zion and some people will consider him a disappointment because he was not like Zion. Which was never realistic.

I wish him nothing but success in his one year at Duke but it is still GO Canes when Miami plays Duke.

Miami will try again with the Carey family in 2023 as his little brother (6'7 260) plays with the NightRydas Elite 14u team, which may be the best travel basketball team in that age group.

Again, GO CANES.
So basically your mad the kid didn’t choose to play basketball at a non basketball ACC school..tbh if I had a son who had real NBA potential and a chance to play for coach K and optimize his potential..if beat his *** if he didn’t choose Duke..let’s be real

So basically your mad the kid didn’t choose to play basketball at a non basketball ACC school..tbh if I had a son who had real NBA potential and a chance to play for coach K and optimize his potential..if beat his *** if he didn’t choose Duke..let’s be real

I am not mad at all. I accepted his decision. That is a huge misconception about Coach K and Duke basketball. Duke has never had an NBA MVP. Not going to Duke did not hurt Ben Simmons, Kevin Durant or James Harden.

The truth about Coach K and Duke basketball is that the people that go to the NBA from Duke were already projected lottery picks. Coach K gets credit for work he does not do.

Vernon Carey is already projected to be a lottery pick so going to Duke will not change that. Duke did not make Zion, Zion arrived at Duke with a huge vertical leap, extreme athletic ability and no jumpshot. Zion left Duke the exact same player.

A school nor coach every made a one and done player better in six months on campus. Not Coach K or Coach Cal.

Don't believe the hype. Perception is that Duke is a basketball factory, if more kids rep their hometown school like the article mentions, Duke would be a bottom feeding school.

I am not mad at all. I accepted his decision. That is a huge misconception about Coach K and Duke basketball. Duke has never had an NBA MVP. Not going to Duke did not hurt Ben Simmons, Kevin Durant or James Harden.

The truth about Coach K and Duke basketball is that the people that go to the NBA from Duke were already projected lottery picks. Coach K gets credit for work he does not do.

Vernon Carey is already projected to be a lottery pick so going to Duke will not change that. Duke did not make Zion, Zion arrived at Duke with a huge vertical leap, extreme athletic ability and no jumpshot. Zion left Duke the exact same player.

A school nor coach every made a one and done player better in six months on campus. Not Coach K or Coach Cal.

Don't believe the hype. Perception is that Duke is a basketball factory, if more kids rep their hometown school like the article mentions, Duke would be a bottom feeding school.
Current NBA players rave about coach K. So there’s something to that. He is Duke basketball. You think if larranga and coach swapped places today Duke would still be what it is, no. If that happened miami would take off.
If you have an opportunity to play at a school that produces and develops and has the cache as duke does in basketball, you go. There is no “misconception”. We’ve seen plenty of 5star or 4 Star basketball players take the path u suggested and go put on for a different school that not known or has a track record strong like coach K and Duke, and what happens? A lot disappear.

In basketball ball we are equal to what duke is in football. Sure every once in a while we have a strong team, but we ain’t developing, producing, recruiting, and winning like duke has in basketball. nor have we ever.

Lastly, there’s something to be said about cultivating talent and blending it together in a team sport. Some coaches don’t have that ability to maintain a Ferrari. That’s why I have respect for coach K, Jimmy Johnson, Phil Jackson and nick Sabans of the world.

Advertisement
And no, Zion was not the unanimous projected 1st pick going into his freshman year at Duke. Not at all. Everybody knew he was a great dunker from YouTube but nobody expected him to take over college basketball like he did..and if you want to point him not developing a great jumper or mid range game after 8 months in college..it’s not valid..it takes years to develop those skills if you don’t already possess

There are lots of examples of 1-and-done players having their stock plummet during their college careers. Ben Simmons didn't make the tournament at LSU and didn't enter the league with the same expectations as Zion is entering it - at minimum this cost him endorsements. Harrison Barnes lost millions due to playing multiple years in college. You could argue it happened with Lonnie Walker. He probably would've been better off going to Nova or Kentucky, although it's too early in his career to make that statement.

K/Duke are able to consistently showcase and develop elite young players in a very short period of time. It makes all the sense in the world for Carey to go there. It's easy for us to sit here and make selfish, dumb, myopic statements about being a leader vs a follower. But it's not our lives that could be impacted by making the wrong decision. If you're Carey, why would you risk being a top 2-3 pick, just to play basketball for a few months in your hometown? There's a ton of downside and minimal upside.

And no, Zion was not the unanimous projected 1st pick going into his freshman year at Duke. Not at all. Everybody knew he was a great dunker from YouTube but nobody expected him to take over college basketball like he did..and if you want to point him not developing a great jumper or mid range game after 8 months in college..it’s not valid..it takes years to develop those skills if you don’t already possess
sooooo what exactly DID he develop at Duke ? Kyrie played like 3 games and still went #1, you still gonna say it was because of coach K and choosing duke ORR because he was a 5 star/top 3 overall recruit ? And yes Zion was projected to go 1st, by like everybody. Of course duke wouldnt be what they are right now if you swapped coaches because they wouldnt be pulling 4-5 five star players every year. Ja Morant played at mf Murray state and still went 2nd overall lmao....it doesnt matter where you play anymore buddy , this isnt the 70's or 80's where only a few teams are on national tv. I get it you are an extreme frontrunner, by your own admission, but it doesnt matter anymore where you choose to go play. It probably hurts you if anything to choose a stacked team ( less playing time and shots) Jamaal Murray, Devin Booker both would have gone top 5 if they had chosen a school were they could have been the main guy

sooooo what exactly DID he develop at Duke ? Kyrie played like 3 games and still went #1, you still gonna say it was because of coach K and choosing duke ORR because he was a 5 star/top 3 overall recruit ? And yes Zion was projected to go 1st, by like everybody. Of course duke wouldnt be what they are right now if you swapped coaches because they wouldnt be pulling 4-5 five star players every year. Ja Morant played at mf Murray state and still went 2nd overall lmao....it doesnt matter where you play anymore buddy , this isnt the 70's or 80's where only a few teams are on national tv. I get it you are an extreme frontrunner, by your own admission, but it doesnt matter anymore where you choose to go play. It probably hurts you if anything to choose a stacked team ( less playing time and shots) Jamaal Murray, Devin Booker both would have gone top 5 if they had chosen a school were they could have been the main guy
Bro really tryna have this discussion..you’ve heard the expression it’s not what you know but who you know? In sports a lot of times it’s not about natural talent, but who can cultivate that talent. What avenue or who can cultivate that talent..we’ve seen guys from Duke who are not the most talented get shots in the league or go higher than they really should..why? Cause coach K and what he represents holds weight..I could easily argue that if kyrie had went to a Miami or something for basketball, played 3 games and nothing else he wouldn’t still gone number 1. Or if ja morant and Zion swapped schools, It would’ve been ja going number one..it’s like a brilliant student who wants to study in the medical field out Hs. They don’t go to the local ******* community college to Further their career. They go to a top med school because it ensures them that if they put in the work and do what they supposed too, the connections to that institution with facilitate a further career path.

To your opening question..you can answer it yourself by looking up where Duke basketball was when coach K too over and where it is now

Advertisement

"it doesnt matter where you play anymore buddy , this isnt the 70's or 80's"

I hate to bring facts into the discussion, but the 20 1st overall picks in the 70s and 80s came from 19 different schools. Duke and Kentucky have 5 of the last 10 first overall picks.

If anything, it matters MORE now than it did then.

I hate to bring facts into the discussion, but the 20 1st overall picks in the 70s and 80s came from 19 different schools. Duke and Kentucky have 5 of the last 10 first overall picks.

Hey came from those schools because hey get all the 5 star players 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Ben Simmons went to LSU and still went 1st
Bro really tryna have this discussion..you’ve heard the expression it’s not what you know but who you know? In sports a lot of times it’s not about natural talent, but who can cultivate that talent. What avenue or who can cultivate that talent..we’ve seen guys from Duke who are not the most talented get shots in the league or go higher than they really should..why? Cause coach K and what he represents holds weight..I could easily argue that if kyrie had went to a Miami or something for basketball, played 3 games and nothing else he wouldn’t still gone number 1. Or if ja morant and Zion swapped schools, It would’ve been ja going number one..it’s like a brilliant student who wants to study in the medical field out Hs. They don’t go to the local ******* community college to Further their career. They go to a top med school because it ensures them that if they put in the work and do what they supposed too, the connections to that institution with facilitate a further career path.

To your opening question..you can answer it yourself by looking up where Duke basketball was when coach K too over and where it is now
Coach K is 120 years old and can’t even get to the final four with Zion and 2 other top 10 picks....I don’t get the fascination with rat face (or Calipari) Devin booker, jamaal Murray, Eric Bledsoe, Harry Giles just off the top of my head are guys that would have gone a lot higher if they had gone to a school we’re they would have been featured more. Kyrie could have gone to Keiser university and he still would have been the #1 pick. Simmons went to LSU didn’t even make the tournament and dropped all the way to....#1 overall pick. Who has Coach k “developed” that wasn’t already a 5 star or high 4 star player coming out of high school. Way too many male groupies/front runners nowadays smh

Advertisement
I just dont see any examples of 3 star or lower rated players who magically got developed by coach K into lottery picks. On the other hand i see dudes like Murray and Booker who were overshadowed at their schools and dropped in the draft and then balled out in the nba or guys like Simmons, Oden who were mega recruits and were gonna go #1 no matter where they went. And then there are guys like Fultz who go to "lesser" schools and get drafted wayyyy to high because they get to have the ball in their hands on every possession and put up ridiculous numbers because they dont have the share the ball with 6 other five star players. Lmao at the medical school comparison. Employers look at the school you went to because a) they dont ******* know you so they judge you by what school you attended and b) some employers specifically look for graduates of certain schools. Nba teams don't care about any of that and they know every player. But its whatever maybe he joined them because going there gives him a better chance of winning a title. Now thats a valid reason to choose Puke

how was Ja Morant gonna go 1st in the same draft as Zion lmao. Dude went to Murray state and still got picked ahead of every blue chipper from duke or Kentucky not named Zion. Had he gone to kentucky or Duke his numbers and minutes would have gone way down and he would have never gone in the lottery

Jamaal Murray was the main guy

I just dont see any examples of 3 star or lower rated players who magically got developed by coach K into lottery picks. On the other hand i see dudes like Murray and Booker who were overshadowed at their schools and dropped in the draft and then balled out in the nba or guys like Simmons, Oden who were mega recruits and were gonna go #1 no matter where they went. And then there are guys like Fultz who go to "lesser" schools and get drafted wayyyy to high because they get to have the ball in their hands on every possession and put up ridiculous numbers because they dont have the share the ball with 6 other five star players. Lmao at the medical school comparison. Employers look at the school you went to because a) they dont ******* know you so they judge you by what school you attended and b) some employers specifically look for graduates of certain schools. Nba teams don't care about any of that and they know every player. But its whatever maybe he joined them because going there gives him a better chance of winning a title. Now thats a valid reason to choose Puke
Why do you keep bringing up Jamaal Murray? Dude averaged 20 his one year at UK and went 7th overall. Are you trying to say if he went somewhere else he would've been better off?

Advertisement
Back