Anyone got the cliff notes on this article from TOS on Markevious Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Only when we fail Rumph is the Recruiter. If he commits to us than Banda was his Recruiter. That's how it works around here.
Actually, that’s the Reality for our CB recruiting. Because of Rumph’s ineffectiveness CB recruiting has been by committee. Banda, Field, Cooney, DVD, and occasionally Rumph. Other positions usually have that position coach as the Main recruiter except CB. Now why is that? Banda is not failing recruiting Safeties. Fields not failing recruiting TE’s. Hickson is getting who he targets at RB. Stroud gets who he wants at De/DL. **** Patke is slightly more effective recruiting LB’s than Rumph is. Anyway, back to Brown. I’m shocked but not shocked he hasn’t popped for Miami by now. The longer it goes in my opinion doesn’t bode well for Miami. Btw, I like Rumph a lot and wished the narrative was different concerning his recruiting. I more than anyone hope he’s successful at his craft.

If we lose him to VaTech :stephenahand:
I think there is more of a chance than anyone's willing to admit. None of these guys, if they are who we hope they are, want to be someone's fall back position. Va Tech is making him feel like he's their main man. The Teraz McCray's of the world are the exception rather than the rule.

We should have been on him like bees to honey long before it came down to this.

Advertisement
Only when we fail Rumph is the Recruiter. If he commits to us than Banda was his Recruiter. That's how it works around here.

Whenever Marshall committed to staff and everyone was celebrating, slurping Rumph I actually posted go ahead and give him the credit even though he doesn’t deserve much. When Marshall committed to uf I also posted this has nothing to do with Rumph. Marshall “ was “ coming because of cooney , Diaz , dvd and Banda. Everyone pitches in now with the cb position, leaving mike to pretty much coach. Which I’m fine with , I’ve never said fire the dude. If we don’t get brown it’s on manny and the guys recruiting the kid at this point.

The kid himself mentioned Rumph and Diaz didn't mention Banda so it seems Banda is not involved here.Maybe it's why we haven't closed the deal.
It seems more like his position coach at IMG (a Va Tech alum) has been in his ear since day 1 while we've been chasing other prospects higher on our CB board.

Whenever Marshall committed to staff and everyone was celebrating, slurping Rumph I actually posted go ahead and give him the credit even though he doesn’t deserve much. When Marshall committed to uf I also posted this has nothing to do with Rumph. Marshall “ was “ coming because of cooney , Diaz , dvd and Banda. Everyone pitches in now with the cb position, leaving mike to pretty much coach. Which I’m fine with , I’ve never said fire the dude. If we don’t get brown it’s on manny and the guys recruiting the kid at this point.
Let me just respectfully correct a portion of you last sentence Crib. You correct it’s on Diaz if we fail to get this kid, but not because theyre the ones recruting him right now. Because the head coach Diaz kept a CB coach employed, that cant recruit the freaking position. It’s an indictment on Rumph that CB recruiting is now a Committee effort and an indictment on Diaz for allowing this to happen instead of moving on from Rumph last year.

Advertisement
It seems more like his position coach at IMG (a Va Tech alum) has been in his ear since day 1 while we've been chasing other prospects higher on our CB board.

BINGO! If Miami would've stayed on him despite Marshall telling the staff he wants to be here... He would've been committed. Kids want to feel wanted as well. They tossed him aside like a $2 ***** when Marshall said "Hello". Now we fighting for him.

You notice nobody brings up how bad of a recruiter Manny Diaz is? They only mention Rumph. I remember Urban Meyer being the primary recruiter of kids even as a Head Coach... I guess that's why one is Great and the other well let's see.

Still think he’s going to VT. Pretty much been promised the starting job to replace their CB who quit this year for covid.

Let me just respectfully correct a portion of you last sentence Crib. You correct it’s on Diaz if we fail to get this kid, but not because theyre the ones recruting him right now. Because the head coach Diaz kept a CB coach employed, that cant recruit the freaking position. It’s an indictment on Rumph that CB recruiting is now a Committee effort and an indictment on Diaz for allowing this to happen instead of moving on from Rumph last year.

I agree with you that it's on Manny. But I can see the calculus of keeping Rumph one more season.

First, he replaced the entire offensive staph during the offseason. He had bigger holes to fill, and having stability on the defensive side makes a lot of sense in context.

Second, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a guy that can coach but isn't a good recruiter. If we're winning games, that coach would have enough quality kids wanting in that Rumph's recruiting weakness wouldn't even matter. Especially if you have a committee of other recruiters who can act as a support network.

The problem is that right now, we have a losing record, so Rumph is more of a liability than he otherwise would be. I truly think this is his make or break year. I hope his starters have exceptional seasons and he closes strong by adding a top CB in this class like he did Clarke at the end of the last cycle. If not, I don't see how he lasts much past December.

Advertisement

Hence why I said it’s on Diaz. He’s the head coach that decided to keep Rumph.

Rumph is a great guy and good teacher , but if you want better recruiting you fire him. If manny feels good enough about recruiting as a group and keeping Rumph that’s also fine. If the position continues to struggle then changes should be made.

Hence why I said it’s on Diaz. He’s the head coach that decided to keep Rumph.

Rumph is a great guy and good teacher , but if you want better recruiting you fire him. If manny feels good enough about recruiting as a group and keeping Rumph that’s also fine. If the position continues to struggle then changes should be made.

Who does Manny recruit? If Brown said Manny and Rumph both are recruiting him.. How come Manny can't land himself? Like Urban Meyer would.

Advertisement
Rumph is the primary recruiter for Markevious, if we land him he gets the credit.

All signs point to Miami, let's hope we don't fck this up.

Agree on the Miami part but cb has been more of a group effort this year, dvd and others helping out. Even manny has been involved more with brown and even Marshall. That’s why I don’t put as much heat on Rumph as previous years. I just get annoyed at folks acting like it’s crazy to say he can’t recruit. The proof is in the pudding at this point.

Is rump recruiting brown? Yeah , sure but I know for a fact manny is a lot more involved in cb recruiting now.

So we’ll see if the strategy works this class for cb, my point is that position is way bigger than Rumph now. If it fails the blame falls on manny not Rumph , but if everyone wants to celebrate Rumph if we land brown go for it. I honestly don’t care, I just want corners.

Who does Manny recruit? If Brown said Manny and Rumph both are recruiting him.. How come Manny can't land himself? Like Urban Meyer would.

You answered your own question , manny is heavily involved with brown. So if we miss he gets more blame imo. As I’ve said “ it’s bigger than Rumph at this point “.

You notice nobody brings up how bad of a recruiter Manny Diaz is? They only mention Rumph. I remember Urban Meyer being the primary recruiter of kids even as a Head Coach... I guess that's why one is Great and the other well let's see.
Will Hill. Wil Hill. Will Hill. Will Hill. Will Hill.

I remember everyone on Grassy thought it was so corny Meyer's chanting "Will Hill" at his recruitment. But it got results. Go figure.

Not sure why we don’t hit the portal more at CB. Saw that All American from McNeese St hit the portal a couple days ago.
He'd be a solid addition for this year, but he's a senior and I doubt he wants to wait another year to play, but I could be wrong.

I covered him for the last two seasons and tbh, he wasn't even the best corner on the team, Colby Burton was. But then Burton got hurt the first game of last season and Dunn took over as the top guy.

Dunn is really solid in man coverage, he had his bright spots against Tylan Wallace of Oklahoma State last year. Dunn was able to go step for step with him on some deep passes. Where he struggles however is coming forward. He did force a fumble against OSU, but he also got blocked too easily at times, which contributed to I think 2 Okie State touchdowns.

All in all, he's fast, he ran track at McNeese and I think won the indoor 60 meter hurdles title in the spring. I don't think it would be the worst pickup, Rumph could develop him into a solid FBS corner I think. However, I'd probably go after Brown and maybe hope another FBS corner hits the portal before going after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back