Any update on the progress of Waynmon steed?

jcanes22

Recruit
Jw is he was able to run with the scout team at all or if they held him out completely to recover. Liked his film coming out of High school

Advertisement
Jw is he was able to run with the scout team at all or if they held him out completely to recover. Liked his film coming out of High school

He ran with the scout team most of the season and the coaches liked what they saw in him out there. Bowl week he got a couple reps with the second team defense during 11-on-11. He is fully recovered from his knee surgery and is now doing team workouts with his teammates before mat drills start.

Not a very active social media guy but you can follow him on Instagram @dc_billions17

waynejr2.jpg

waynejr1.JPG

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just goes to show how knee injuries are all different. Even when similar ligaments are involved. Some take a few months, some take 18 months to as long as 2 years for full recovery to 100% quickness, speed, and cutting ability.

When I had my knee surgery, I’ll never forget what my surgeon was joking about with me afterwards when we were talking about rehab. Paraphrasing, he said, God doesn’t make mistakes, but if he did, then number one would be the way he designed the knee. There are so many weak points in the healthiest of knees where a sudden turn, stop, twist, or lateral movement can put a load on one or more of several possible weak points, that at that particular nanosecond cannot bear that load, so they tear/snap/break.

Just goes to show how knee injuries are all different. Even when similar ligaments are involved. Some take a few months, some take 18 months to as long as 2 years for full recovery to 100% quickness, speed, and cutting ability.

When I had my knee surgery, I’ll never forget what my surgeon was joking about with me afterwards when we were talking about rehab. Paraphrasing, he said, God doesn’t make mistakes, but if he did, then number one would be the way he designed the knee. There are so many weak points in the healthiest of knees where a sudden turn, stop, twist, or lateral movement can put a load on one or more of several possible weak points, that at that particular nanosecond cannot bear that load, so they tear/snap/break.

Yeah, I hear you. To me it seems that these knee injuries are a lot more frequent now then they were 15-20 years ago. I can only assume it has a lot to do with bigger, faster athletes and maybe the artificial turf fields that are being used now in football.

Yeah, I hear you. To me it seems that these knee injuries are a lot more frequent now then they were 15-20 years ago. I can only assume it has a lot to do with bigger, faster athletes and maybe the artificial turf fields that are being used now in football.

It definitely has to do with bigger faster athletes. The turf I can’t even keep up with the different kinds.

I’m older, and I only played in HS, but back then it was basically either grass, or synthetic/carpet.

What’s gotten better are the surgeries. When I had my knee I was 18, well over 20 years ago, and I had the same knee “improved” last year. Without going into all the details, I was just having problems but only when I did fast start/stops, like playing racquetball or hoops. They just basically “improved” my original surgery, I guess I had some scar tissue etc, but it feels 100% normal now, where for over 20 years it gave me some trouble when I was active, especially laterally and cutting.

I am always impressed with how quickly athletes recover from these serious surgery injuries.

Advertisement

He ran with the scout team most of the season and the coaches liked what they saw in him out there. Bowl week he got a couple reps with the second team defense during 11-on-11. He is fully recovered from his knee surgery and is now doing team workouts with his teammates before mat drills start.

when does mat drills start?

I believe February 1st, but that was info we got from Mike Jax so I'm not sure how accurate the date is. Probably closer to the mid or the end of February.

Last edited:

It definitely has to do with bigger faster athletes. The turf I can’t even keep up with the different kinds.

I’m older, and I only played in HS, but back then it was basically either grass, or synthetic/carpet.

What’s gotten better are the surgeries. When I had my knee I was 18, well over 20 years ago, and I had the same knee “improved” last year. Without going into all the details, I was just having problems but only when I did fast start/stops, like playing racquetball or hoops. They just basically “improved” my original surgery, I guess I had some scar tissue etc, but it feels 100% normal now, where for over 20 years it gave me some trouble when I was active, especially laterally and cutting.

Very refreshing to hear. My main concern is how natural he is feeling about the knee. I have never experienced a knee surgery myself but I am sure the biggest hurdle to recovery is mental. His personal trainer said that he didn't see any hitch in his step or any signs of him compensating for the knee. Also he said that Steed didn't experience any soreness in the knee after workouts these past few weeks. My son tells me he feels good and from all the info I gathered, I think its safe for me to believe that. He told me that the training staff told him that the coaches wanted him down to like 216 lbs. I told him I don't agree with that and that 225 is a good weight for him. I have no idea why they would want him to be that weight but I don't think it will happen. 220 is probably the lightest he will get.

Advertisement

I believe February 1st, but that was info we got from Mike Jax so I'm not sure how accurate the date is. Probably closer to the mid or the end of February.

Pops, for those who never saw Jr play, is his game similar to any current are past Canes linebackers?

Advertisement

Pops, for those who never saw Jr play, is his game similar to any current are past Canes linebackers?

Perryman and/or Pickney imo!!!

Very refreshing to hear. My main concern is how natural he is feeling about the knee. I have never experienced a knee surgery myself but I am sure the biggest hurdle to recovery is mental. His personal trainer said that he didn't see any hitch in his step or any signs of him compensating for the knee. Also he said that Steed didn't experience any soreness in the knee after workouts these past few weeks. My son tells me he feels good and from all the info I gathered, I think its safe for me to believe that. He told me that the training staff told him that the coaches wanted him down to like 216 lbs. I told him I don't agree with that and that 225 is a good weight for him. I have no idea why they would want him to be that weight but I don't think it will happen. 220 is probably the lightest he will get.

Well first, that’s fantastic news about his recovery. It’s so good to hear because his skill set is really superior.

I agree, that 216 sounds light to me. For an LB anyway. Maybe he can just ask why that weight. I couldn’t even guess. That’s like a safety or cornerback weight.

But anyway, hearing about how his knee is responding sounds fantastic, now he can use the spring and early summer to get his confidence back on his knee and on his playing ability. I think he can really be a force. I wish you and him the best of luck and look forward to seeing everyone at the spring game.

It wasn't a complete tear correct ? Just partial ?

Advertisement
Back