Any update on the progress of Waynmon steed?

Don’t you think the coaches have the best interests of your son at heart when they ask him to play at a certain weight?

Maybe they know something and that he should at least try?

Advertisement
He ran with the scout team most of the season and the coaches liked what they saw in him out there. Bowl week he got a couple reps with the second team defense during 11-on-11. He is fully recovered from his knee surgery and is now doing team workouts with his teammates before mat drills start.

when does mat drills start?

I believe February 1st, but that was info we got from Mike Jax so I'm not sure how accurate the date is. Probably closer to the mid or the end of February.

Pops, for those who never saw Jr play, is his game similar to any current are past Canes linebackers?

Perryman and/or Pickney imo!!!

Sean Spence. Like him, "he doesn't need a GPS to find the backfield." ___El Jefe Diaz

Don’t you think the coaches have the best interests of your son at heart when they ask him to play at a certain weight?

Nothing wrong with a parent wanting to know the reasoning behind why they want him at that weight. It's a weird weight for a LB.

Just goes to show how knee injuries are all different. Even when similar ligaments are involved. Some take a few months, some take 18 months to as long as 2 years for full recovery to 100% quickness, speed, and cutting ability.

When I had my knee surgery, I’ll never forget what my surgeon was joking about with me afterwards when we were talking about rehab. Paraphrasing, he said, God doesn’t make mistakes, but if he did, then number one would be the way he designed the knee. There are so many weak points in the healthiest of knees where a sudden turn, stop, twist, or lateral movement can put a load on one or more of several possible weak points, that at that particular nanosecond cannot bear that load, so they tear/snap/break.

Yeah, I hear you. To me it seems that these knee injuries are a lot more frequent now then they were 15-20 years ago. I can only assume it has a lot to do with bigger, faster athletes and maybe the artificial turf fields that are being used now in football.

It definitely has to do with bigger faster athletes. The turf I can’t even keep up with the different kinds.

I’m older, and I only played in HS, but back then it was basically either grass, or synthetic/carpet.

What’s gotten better are the surgeries. When I had my knee I was 18, well over 20 years ago, and I had the same knee “improved” last year. Without going into all the details, I was just having problems but only when I did fast start/stops, like playing racquetball or hoops. They just basically “improved” my original surgery, I guess I had some scar tissue etc, but it feels 100% normal now, where for over 20 years it gave me some trouble when I was active, especially laterally and cutting.

Very refreshing to hear. My main concern is how natural he is feeling about the knee. I have never experienced a knee surgery myself but I am sure the biggest hurdle to recovery is mental. His personal trainer said that he didn't see any hitch in his step or any signs of him compensating for the knee. Also he said that Steed didn't experience any soreness in the knee after workouts these past few weeks. My son tells me he feels good and from all the info I gathered, I think its safe for me to believe that. He told me that the training staff told him that the coaches wanted him down to like 216 lbs. I told him I don't agree with that and that 225 is a good weight for him. I have no idea why they would want him to be that weight but I don't think it will happen. 220 is probably the lightest he will get.

maybe they want him to cut fat now and over the summer they plan on getting him to add good muscle and bulking him up to about 225-230. That would make sense to me.

I'm sure its harder to bulk up while cutting fat. So the staff probably wants him to cut first, then bulk up after. plus if they plan on bulking him up, if he starts at 225 then with 10lbs of muscle, he'll be 235 but have a higher body fat%. However if he cuts now to 215 then adds 10lbs of muscle he'll be his desired playing weight and have a low body fat%. ...basically sounds like they want him to get his diet in check, then build off that. Setting a good foundation and ****...

or maybe im just completely wrong, but it makes sense.

Just goes to show how knee injuries are all different. Even when similar ligaments are involved. Some take a few months, some take 18 months to as long as 2 years for full recovery to 100% quickness, speed, and cutting ability.

When I had my knee surgery, I’ll never forget what my surgeon was joking about with me afterwards when we were talking about rehab. Paraphrasing, he said, God doesn’t make mistakes, but if he did, then number one would be the way he designed the knee. There are so many weak points in the healthiest of knees where a sudden turn, stop, twist, or lateral movement can put a load on one or more of several possible weak points, that at that particular nanosecond cannot bear that load, so they tear/snap/break.

Yeah, I hear you. To me it seems that these knee injuries are a lot more frequent now then they were 15-20 years ago. I can only assume it has a lot to do with bigger, faster athletes and maybe the artificial turf fields that are being used now in football.

It definitely has to do with bigger faster athletes. The turf I can’t even keep up with the different kinds.

I’m older, and I only played in HS, but back then it was basically either grass, or synthetic/carpet.

What’s gotten better are the surgeries. When I had my knee I was 18, well over 20 years ago, and I had the same knee “improved” last year. Without going into all the details, I was just having problems but only when I did fast start/stops, like playing racquetball or hoops. They just basically “improved” my original surgery, I guess I had some scar tissue etc, but it feels 100% normal now, where for over 20 years it gave me some trouble when I was active, especially laterally and cutting.

Very refreshing to hear. My main concern is how natural he is feeling about the knee. I have never experienced a knee surgery myself but I am sure the biggest hurdle to recovery is mental. His personal trainer said that he didn't see any hitch in his step or any signs of him compensating for the knee. Also he said that Steed didn't experience any soreness in the knee after workouts these past few weeks. My son tells me he feels good and from all the info I gathered, I think its safe for me to believe that. He told me that the training staff told him that the coaches wanted him down to like 216 lbs. I told him I don't agree with that and that 225 is a good weight for him. I have no idea why they would want him to be that weight but I don't think it will happen. 220 is probably the lightest he will get.

maybe they want him to cut fat now and over the summer they plan on getting him to add good muscle and bulking him up to about 225-230. That would make sense to me.

I'm sure its harder to bulk up while cutting fat. So the staff probably wants him to cut first, then bulk up after. plus if they plan on bulking him up, if he starts at 225 then with 10lbs of muscle, he'll be 235 but have a higher body fat%. However if he cuts now to 215 then adds 10lbs of muscle he'll be his desired playing weight and have a low body fat%. ...basically sounds like they want him to get his diet in check, then build off that. Setting a good foundation and ****...

I was thinking the same thing. They may even be thinking about having him play special teams and a backup, passing downs, type role at a lighter weight this season, particularly coming off the knee surgery, and bulking him up over time, which should happen pretty naturally.

All just speculation. I certainly don't question the kid or the parent wanting to know the reasoning behind it.

Advertisement

It wasn't a complete tear correct ? Just partial ?

Full tear. They took some of his patella tendon to replace the ligament.

Never said he wasn't going to try. I am saying from my sons build and body type, I don't believe he can get below 220 without starving himself. If it didn't come from Manny's mouth then I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he wants to play then he has no choice but to do what the coaches ask of him. I was just giving him my opinion. I am entitled to that correct?

That is a great theory and I totally didn't see it from that point of view. That actually makes a whole lot of sense. I would just be concerned with him going into spring at 215.

Never said he wasn't going to try. I am saying from my sons build and body type, I don't believe he can get below 220 without starving himself. If it didn't come from Manny's mouth then I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he wants to play then he has no choice but to do what the coaches ask of him. I was just giving him my opinion. I am entitled to that correct?

steed does look to have just a more naturally thicker body composition. not saying thats good or bad, just all bodies tend to be built differently. i actually expected to see him playing around 230, even though he's a little under 6 ft. think he carries the weight well

Advertisement
Steed Jr has the look of a guy who's going to surprise a lot of people this season.

He looks to have great instincts and we could use that depth at LB.

Advertisement

LoL agreed.

I think they expect him to float around 220-225 and gave him 216 as a goal to make sure hes striving hard to stay at around 220-225.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back