Anthony Moten

St. Thomas Aquinas defensive tackle Anthony Moten is on a mission to prove something about Miami’s 2014 recruiting class. Moten is open about his desire for this incoming group to bring the program to a level that it hasn’t reached in years.

-Says “We’re definitely going to get it, this whole class is a bunch of animals,” “We’re going to show out and take spots. We started out great last year, 7-0, but then it slowed down. We were recruited to help out and make sure that doesn’t happen. We got to beat Florida State of course and Louisville.”

-will be arriving for the first summer session on May 19th. He already feels connected to each of the other defensive linemen that ended up joining him in the class.

-Says “Courtel (Jenkins) and I are going to be roommates, we made that decision the other day,” “I ran into Chad (Thomas) at a lot of the camps down here. Demetrius (Jackson) too, we hung out during our official. I met Michael Wyche a long time ago and he said he was going to do his thing. Then something happened and he wasn’t coming to Miami anymore. I saw him at the spring game and everything was good again.”

-said that he was initially confused by the format of the spring game. Regardless, he was able to draw an important conclusion about the team.

-Says “At first, I wondered what was going on with the 7-on-7, but they ended up doing everything,” “The defensive line did a good job getting pressure and (Tyriq) McCord was coming hard as an edge rusher. They still need more help with that on the inside and that’s how I could make an impact.”

-explained how he plans on making that impact. He actually plans on losing weight when so many are headed in the opposite direction.

-Says “Of course I’ve been in the weight room, without it you’re nothing,” “I was at 296 (pounds) when the season ended and I’m working towards like 285. I felt slower so I would just use my weight because I was bigger than everybody. I made the decision but I let the coaches know what I’m doing. They don’t mind it and they told me to keep running. They said my playing time depends on how I come in.”

-choose the Hurricanes over a vast array of offers. Among them were Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, South Carolina, and USC.

-Says “I’m happy to be done with the recruiting process and that’s it,” “When everything started up, I didn’t really like it that much. That’s just how it goes though, it’s one more step on the way to reaching your goals.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/...ation.Success=You+have+successfully+logged+in!

Advertisement
I'm not expecting him to make a big impact his true freshman year. If he gets stronger, polishes his technique, learns a few new things, digests his playbook, and gets some game experience I'll consider this a good year for him. I love his attitude and work ethic, and I believe he'll be a great player for us in time, but it's asking a lot for a true freshmen to come in and make a significant impact on the interior of our defensive line.

I really like our DTs coming in. The loss of Valentine was a huge hit, but there's nothing you can do about those situations ($$$).

Just imagine, however, if we didn't have Wyche coming in to contribute right away. I would be ****ting bricks.

Advertisement
I like what I hear. Kid got massive in just one year. He was a DE body and then all of a sudden he was 300 lbs. No need to unnecessarily pack on the weight, he will get there as his body matures.

This is by FAR Golden's best DL class, and the best DL group we've brought in a long time.

Thomas
Wyche
Hertelou
Moten
Jenkins
Jackson
Harris

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Moten ever developing into an All-ACC caliber type. I think he can be a dependable starter, ala Chick, but that's about it.

Prove me wrong Anthony.

Advertisement
Really need him to develop and contribute this season.

That's a lot to ask of a true freshman DT. I feel you are setting yourself up to be disappointed, not saying he doesn't have a ton of potential but he has to learn to play against grown men in the trenches.

If we could get something from them, Im happy. I just none start. We saw what happened to young DL before like Forston and Porter. They are strong in the beginning and taper off as the season goes on. I would like to have those guys come in for a few snaps a game and give it 100%. Having this start and wear down will damage any sense of confidence they have.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Moten ever developing into an All-ACC caliber type. I think he can be a dependable starter, ala Chick, but that's about it.

Prove me wrong Anthony.

Did not mean to like ur post lol. But what I was gonna say is how can u come to that conclusion without having seen him play a single snap in college and watching him dominate on the highschool level? Where is the logic?

Prove me wrong Anthony.

Did not mean to like ur post lol. But what I was gonna say is how can u come to that conclusion without having seen him play a single snap in college and watching him dominate on the highschool level? Where is the logic?

I wouldn't say he dominated. He was very good, but Bosa was their best DL. He also doesn't have elite athleticism and has a tweener body type.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
6'4" and 290 in high school is a "tweener body type"? Seriously?

For our scheme, yes.

He is actually perfect size for the position he will be playing in this scheme, the same position as Olsen Pierre who is 6'5 305. Moten will be a DT in 4-3 and WDE in 3-4, his long arms will allow him to engage offensive lineman and keep them off the LB's.

hes straight up Pierre's replacement when he leaves...and much better as Pierre had to get use to the wieight gain..he came in at like 260-270.

Moten is a naturally big kid..

6'4" and 290 in high school is a "tweener body type"? Seriously?

For our scheme, yes.

He is actually perfect size for the position he will be playing in this scheme, the same position as Olsen Pierre who is 6'5 305. Moten will be a DT in 4-3 and WDE in 3-4, his long arms will allow him to engage offensive lineman and keep them off the LB's.

And what has Olsen Pierre done? Not much at either position. The scheme is a set up for failure in the first place, but these type of tweeners stand almost no chance. They have to learn 2 different positions. It's much easier for a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE.

Moten would do very nicely as a full time 4-3 DT. That's his natural position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back