Anthony Moten

Advertisement
I'm not expecting him to make a big impact his true freshman year. If he gets stronger, polishes his technique, learns a few new things, digests his playbook, and gets some game experience I'll consider this a good year for him. I love his attitude and work ethic, and I believe he'll be a great player for us in time, but it's asking a lot for a true freshmen to come in and make a significant impact on the interior of our defensive line.
It's not his technique, knowledge base, or anything like that I'm worried about. By all the analysis I've seen on him, it's his ability to use his technique to make plays that sets him apart from a lot of DT's his age. Plus, the coaching he got at STA could do nothing but shorten his learning curve from HS to College.

I was concerned about his body, as he seemed like a light DT coming in. I think he was listed at 265 when he committed last year, which worried me. Now that I know he's about 30 lbs heavier than that, and is looking to be a stronger/leaner 285 by the time he comes in...I'm optimistic that he'll be more game ready than I expected him to be.

I'd like to redshirt him and Jenkins both, though. It'd be awesome not to have to play them at all this season. For that to happen--guys like Wyche, Heurtelou, Moore, King, Pierre, Hamilton...all of the rest of the DT's, basically, need to come in and be solid at worst, and dominant at best.

Moten is probably going to play the end/tackle spot, depending on alignment, that Pierre plays now. So he would be fighting for playing time with Pierre and Hamilton. The hope there is that Pierre delivers as a senior and Hamilton has finally gotten his body right and can contribute. Neither of those guys has looked overwhelmingly good, but they've both made some nice plays in the spring and had generally positive reviews.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Redshirt the kid.

He is going to play.

How many snaps and how effectively?

15 snaps, very effectively.

Who the **** knows?

But he will play.

Burn a shirt on the toughest position to adapt to the next level for a kid that is going to only play 15 snaps?

Sounds about par for the course with this staff.

you think he comes to Miami to red shirt? one of the main reasons he commits is play time

If Moten is as good as we hope he is he'll leave in three years anyway. Redshirt him if you think he really needs it for developing but if he is what we want him to be he'll only play two years here.

If Moten is as good as we hope he is he'll leave in three years anyway. Redshirt him if you think he really needs it for developing but if he is what we want him to be he'll only play two years here.

People all forget the steep learning curve of this defense... On all accounts it looks like it takes guys about 3 years to put it together. Not expecting much from Moten. Whether he commited bc of play time or not, the coaches have say. If the guys in front of him play well, Moten won't see the field this season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back