Anthony Campanile rumored UM LB Coach candidate

Why is it a gutsy call? To me, its a medium floor, high ceiling. He is clearly a stud position coach with both college and NFL experience. Imo, Hurtt was a riskier hire, and Belk is a safer one. LB coaches in the NFL have to have a pretty good grasp of what everyone on the field is doing. He has been around elite defensive minds (Flores/NFL, Brown/Mich), and that tells me alot about what others think of him.

Advertisement
Why is it a gutsy call? To me, its a medium floor, high ceiling. He is clearly a stud position coach with both college and NFL experience. Imo, Hurtt was a riskier hire, and Belk is a safer one. LB coaches in the NFL have to have a pretty good grasp of what everyone on the field is doing. He has been around elite defensive minds (Flores/NFL, Brown/Mich), and that tells me alot about what others think of him.

I think he's a great mind. Just don't know if I'd hitch myself to him if I have a lot to prove. Great recruiter though. I'd just want something a little more proven. Of the names circulated I'd go:

1a. Belk
1b. Schumann
2. AC

6. Hurtt

I know Belk and Schumann don't have that much experience, but Belks defense looked good this year and Schumann is supposedly a master mind, coached two butkus winners, and comes from a NC team.

I'd be fine with AC, I'd just have more of a wait and see approach

Ah gotcha. Would be shocked if he got a DC gig but crazier things have happened.
He's being looked at for DC and LB per ferman
What? So we wait for weeks to land a “starter” DC? I bet we didn’t have to outbid UF, UGa, Bama, or any team in the ACC for him. I trust Mario but I am starting to think he is having a hard time getting established coaches to join him here. I hope this guy turns into a star. But, he is not what I expected.

Advertisement
Don’t want. no linebackers at Michigan or at Miami in the nfl. Doesn’t call plays. Can’t keep a job. What does Mario know. Let him go prove himself at group of five first.

Coached Uche and Hudson a year at Michigan both drafted

Had 4 Des drafted in 3 years at BC and Devin Bush also played under him as co-dc...Although he was DB coach not LB coach along with co-dc

Advertisement
If this guy is hired something that’s been in the works for a good minute went completely haywire. I’ll continue to roll with the same name until I hear different.
As difficult as it is to give any credit to Ferman, he mentioned him (along w Belk), a week or two ago. I don’t think this is last minute - I believe he has been on the radar. Again, whether he was the first choice, zero clue.

Advertisement
@JayCane20 and myself have been mentioning Belk for two weeks.
I know you have. I was referring to Campanile - Ferman has mentioned him, along w Belk and Hurtt for some time, but not with any detail. If something with Belk hit a snag, it makes sense that he is going in on Campanile.

I think he's a great mind. Just don't know if I'd hitch myself to him if I have a lot to prove. Great recruiter though. I'd just want something a little more proven. Of the names circulated I'd go:

1a. Belk
1b. Schumann
2. AC

6. Hurtt

I know Belk and Schumann don't have that much experience, but Belks defense looked good this year and Schumann is supposedly a master mind, coached two butkus winners, and comes from a NC team.

I'd be fine with AC, I'd just have more of a wait and see approach
Has Schuman ever been a DC? If not why would he be better than AC?

Advertisement
I know you have. I was referring to Campanile - Ferman has mentioned him, along w Belk and Hurtt for some time, but not with any detail. If something with Belk hit a snag, it makes sense that he is going in on Campanile.
He was 100 percent wrong on Hurtt and Brady. Hurtt wanted Dc and we offered DL. That was over early on. Brady also heated back up for a minute and Ferman said that wasn't true.

Ferman is all over the place that his reporting, it reminds me of Charlie on Always sunny " he's the wild card ". Unpredictable.

Last edited:
Belk needs to **** or get off the pot. How many weeks are we going to wait for an answer?
He was 100 percent wrong on Hurtt and Brady. Hurtt wanted Dc and we offered DL. That was over early on. Brady also heated back up for a minute and Ferman said that wasn't true.

Ferman is all over the place that his reporting, it reminds me of Charlie on Always sunny " he's the wild card ". Unpredictable. He was right about Candle and Briles though.
There is an old saying - even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

I just don’t get why, if it was Belk, he hasn’t been hired. I get the NFL timeline if he is going that route for the OC, but a college DC should have been locked up.

Advertisement
Back