Another Walk On

NorthFlaCane

Senior
Michelle Kaufman‏@kaufsports

Overheard on #UM campus yesterday: Butch Davis' QB son, Drew, plans to enroll at the U and walk on football team. Hear he's a good player.

Advertisement
If he is a good player why does he have to walk-on?

The whole point of building depth is to also add to your practice squad. If this guy can help bring competition and better practice squad players then that is the point of walk ons. Doesn't matter if they are offered a scholarship or not. They contribute to the team.

Advertisement
Seems he was recruited by a lot of solid schools, had a UNC offer (obviously) but not much else. Competed in the Elite 11 comp at Penn St.

Edit: removed video

Advertisement
Not bad at all. Good to see him as a walk on, versus striking out against every QB we went after then try to pry him away from Arkansas State at the last minute like Radio would.

Taking Butch's kid as a QB walk-on commit = 12 cents

Taking Butch's kid as a QB walk-on commit in the same year as Kevin Olsen and the year after taking Dewey and Crow = priceless

Does he have the ability to spot defensive diamonds in the rough?

Advertisement
Guys, did you watch the same thing I did?

Kid was threading the needle, hitting them precisely right over the middle, able to scoot when the DB's left him an opening, and was really accurate when throwing on the run.

I mean, I can believe that he wasn't recruited - he was slated to go to NC, and who's going to recruit Butch's son?

I think we may have gotten really lucky here.

Am I the only one?

This is free money. He's a Mid level scholarship player that is WALKING ON. I'd like to thank the kid and his family and welcome them back to the U.

Advertisement
I guarantee, since the kid is paying his own way - could have gone to school anywhere in the nation - and entered as a walk-on.

I guarantee, his dad had a bit of say in where he went to school. I like to think that Butch wanted his son playing not just for the U, but under Golden.

Which is quite a feather in Golden's cap.

hopefully this lures Butch back to miami....preferably as our national recruiting coordinator.

Advertisement
Back