Another Stand-up Move By Rick (and Manny)

Please enlighten us on why they need to be "COLLEGE EDUCATED"

Because at present time there are too many people in the community that do not value education, nor the opportunities that being an educated individual can provide. Whether people like it or not, exposure to knowledge is an exposure to the world as written about, and studied through the eyes of people outside of your own world-- past and present. Education is one of the key elements of freedom that some don't pay attention to anymore. Well the world is in a big rush to dismiss the value of a college education and a degree, I believe it is a positive attribute to demonstrate to a community that the goal of achieving higher education in and of itself is a worthy goal that can produce more opportunities for you than sitting around and staring at your smartphone all day soaking up whatever social media influencers decide to post that morning while taking a dump.

Advertisement
D - Jackson is one of the all time Miami greats as far as community leadership. Great teammate and leader. Great feel good story and big ups to this man

I'd venture a guess that Rick probably isn't a Democrat (as which Demetrius is running) but is willing to publicly vouch for one of his guys while obviously also understanding that this kid would be an improvement over A TON of our state level politicians disirregardless of boiler plate ideology and partisan team politics.

Because in a community like liberty city where basic literacy of the English language is a serious problem among children, only 14% of the population has completed “some secondary education (college or trade)”, and the median household income is 41k$ below the national average, a young black leader with a strong education from a top 50 university makes a good role model.
You don't have to have a college education to be a good/strong leader, or even a black leader. its just not true

Advertisement
Because at present time there are too many people in the community that do not value education, nor the opportunities that being an educated individual can provide. Whether people like it or not, exposure to knowledge is an exposure to the world as written about, and studied through the eyes of people outside of your own world-- past and present. Education is one of the key elements of freedom that some don't pay attention to anymore. Well the world is in a big rush to dismiss the value of a college education and a degree, I believe it is a positive attribute to demonstrate to a community that the goal of achieving higher education in and of itself is a worthy goal that can produce more opportunities for you than sitting around and staring at your smartphone all day soaking up whatever social media influencers decide to post that morning while taking a dump.
Opportunities! You might wanna take a look at all of the "College" graduates around the country that are in hundreds of thousands of dollars in dept and can't even get a decent job with their fancy degrees. I respect what you're saying, but I strongly disagree, many leaders and great people throughout history without a college education. College education is extremely overrated.

If he were running in Chicago, you probably could.
If he were running in Chicago, Jimmy Hoffa still could

Opportunities! You might wanna take a look at all of the "College" graduates around the country that are in hundreds of thousands of dollars in dept and can't even get a decent job with their fancy degrees. I respect what you're saying, but I strongly disagree, many leaders and great people throughout history without a college education. College education is extremely overrated.
A College education is extremely overrated??
Lol......I'm sure it is, as you retrieve carts from a Publix parking lot...

For most degrees and most colleges you’re probably right. But not at the University of Miami. Furthermore, to attend trade school, or community college, or college, or any other technical training program, you must first finish Highschool, a feat that is not “common” in any sense of the word in the district he’s running in.....which is yet another reason why someone with a secondary education makes a good role model.

Advertisement
The Role Model part of your argument is solid. but saying that one has to have a college education to make a positive impact or to be great is not. Demetrius Jackson is a great Role Model, but his college education doesn't decide that, he does.

which is yet another reason why someone with a secondary education makes a good role model.

The guy that He's running against has a Doctorate in Education.

And from what I can tell, the signature issue in Jackson's platform is not education, it's to do something about the senseless gun violence that grips the district.

Advertisement
Neither party embraces what I see as governmental responsibility. I choose the party that best supports rights granted to all in the Bill of Rights, doesn't restrict or encumber voting, been found guilty by Supreme Court of gerrymandering or supports corporate welfare to list a few reasons. That said big ups to the young man for battling the beasts that are politics.

So you obviously have never voted for or support either the Democratic or Republican Political Parties.

Tragic both have been responsible for all above for decades.

Advertisement
Because in a community like liberty city where basic literacy of the English language is a serious problem among children, only 14% of the population has completed “some secondary education (college or trade)”, and the median household income is 41k$ below the national average, a young black leader with a strong education from a top 50 university makes a good role model.
College is not for everyone and you do not have to go to college to be a productive member of society. in this case I think you are getting ahead of yourself. in a community like liberty city increasing the rate of high school graduates would greatly improve the community. The incarceration rate for people that fail to finish high school is very high. I’m talking something like 80 percent of those incarcerated failed to finish high school. Keep the kids in school and less will end up in prison.

Last edited:

I ageee with you about not needing a degree to be successful! Honestly I really wish they would put trade skills as more of a requirement in schools! However, where Djack lives, they just need to get a 3.0 and over a 1100 on the SAT and then get scholarships galore! They literally have money set aside for students from low income areas! All expenses paid! Ivy League! But easily with any college in Florida! It’s not overrated, if it’s for free!

Advertisement
Back