Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Reading his take on Mario and our money situation once again proves why I don’t listen to anyone in the media especially Canes related. Even alums in the media.

Bruce is a good dude and very knowledgeable, but he also went to UM back in the 1980s/early 90s when we were flat-broke. He's just stuck in the old mind-set and doesn't have the awareness that the money situation has changed.

Advertisement
For shyts and giggles - because that’s what all the speculation is here - let’s say a billionaire close to the program is willing to fork over the big bucks to lure Mario “home.” Probably looking at 20M year one - 9M buyout, 6-7M for Mario’s salary and another 4-5M for staff salaries. 20M for a billionaire is like pocket change to us mere mortals.

So the financial side is covered. So the real question remains does Mario want to come home? IDGAF who you are, there’s ONLY 2 people that can answer that question - Mario and his wife.

Here’s my last question - when was the last time anyone here talked to Mario? I’ll wait.
For ***** & giggles I'll respond than. I'll say said billionaire in said hypothetical DOES exist. Is very vexxed right now with state of program... Same said billionaire was more than willing to take on same role before Mandy swooped in like a thief in the night. Lastly I spoke with him two weeks ago... We have his attention.

Mario doesn’t need to say anything. In fact, there’s nothing to say. There is no job opening. Fans can WANT things to happen but that isn’t the situation right now.
I remember when Golden flirted with Penn State after O’Brien left. He said nothing for like a week and a half. If this job opens and he doesn’t say anything that’ll be louder than a denial.

From what I just read here it doesn’t seem like much.

Even when he was at UM, he wasn't the King Of All Sports Info. That was LeBatard.

Bruce has a lot of general knowledge, but when it comes to UM, I trust certain posters on this board more than I do Bruce. And I really like Bruce.

For shyts and giggles - because that’s what all the speculation is here - let’s say a billionaire close to the program is willing to fork over the big bucks to lure Mario “home.” Probably looking at 20M year one - 9M buyout, 6-7M for Mario’s salary and another 4-5M for staff salaries. 20M for a billionaire is like pocket change to us mere mortals.

So the financial side is covered. So the real question remains does Mario want to come home? IDGAF who you are, there’s ONLY 2 people that can answer that question - Mario and his wife.

Here’s my last question - when was the last time anyone here talked to Mario? I’ll wait.

you'll need to give him a 20 mill budget imo after his buyout and salary. you can't go half way in. need to give him a large assistant salary pool and a large recruiting budget and let him work if hes gonna work down here. we don't have many options left. I wasn't a huge Mario guy, but hes the only proven guy that's willing to take this dumpster fire of a job.

Advertisement
last year wasnt a championship build class but it was decent on paper. I would say its a second or third tier type class.........when u see the top schools there classes are loaded up top heavy. Ours has some guys but we are some ways away imo.
I'd strongly disagree. Class is loaded with talent. Only thing that could validate that is real program building classes begin with talent in the trenches. Other than Leonard who I've said since last year has a strong base to begin with but needs a bunch of coaching, the class lacks depth in that aspect. In all others very strong.

Miami has the money, either they want to pay it or not and continue settling for mediocre inexperienced coaches. I like Hugh Freeze too.

All good with me, but please trust me, SWFL/CIO is unbelievably well-connected and knowledgeable. And he doesn't talk if he doesn't know.

Look, there is ALWAYS the possibility that the BOT pvssies out and does a double-reverse on offering/hiring the Alonzo-Manny combo. BUT IT'S IN PLAY.

If it happens, it happens. And if it doesn't, I will agitate for a complete turnover of the BOT for the rest of my alumni life.

Sorry to disagree but he’s been wrong on literally every prediction I’ve ever seen him make, including that ridiculous ban bet he made about two recruits.

Advertisement
I agree with Roman Marciante (think thats his name) his last video on YT he said we dont have the horses to beat basic teams anymore and I agree 1000000 percent.
Horses ? That’s a stupid comment if he said it , we have horrible coaching with good talent. Which makes good talent average to above average. People talk about stars but sleep on coaching. The best staffs “ coaching “ mixed with talent wins. We have more talent than anyone in the coastal and will likely lose 5-6 games. The days of lining up and out talenting people is dead. Bama has the best talent , best coaching / scheming , best sc program and **** near double the money spent on football than the second team. We suck them off the they make the MLB look fair with the with the haves and have nots .

Last edited:
Feldman is close to Mario - went to school with him and has been friends for years. He says that he doesn't think Mario knows what Mario wants to do. He doesn't see Mario as one of the college coaches who ultimately goes to the NFL; coaches like Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley are the type of coaches he sees doing that down the road.

Feldman believes that there are two schools Oregon should worry about with regard to Cristobol: USC and Miami.
Feldman also recognizes that Miami could be categorized as Cristobol's dream job and it would be interesting to see what he would do if Miami really pushes to hire him.

“In my mind, just knowing Mario—and I went to school with him, so I’ve known him a long time—like USC can pay Mario a lot more than Miami can, but Miami is home. His brother Lou is a Miami-Dade police officer and the family is entrenched there in that culture,” Feldman said.

“I was with [Mario] when they were playing their bowl game against Michigan State basically when the Miami job came open and they scrambled to bring Manny Diaz back to be the head coach,” Feldman said. “They couldn’t have afforded Mario’s buyout at that point, which was somewhere between $11M-$12M and I am not sure they can afford it now at $9M, so it may be a non-starter at that point.”

“I know Mario thinks he has a really good team now and he thinks they will be even better in 2022 and 2023,”

“If he wants to be the Miami head coach, it is going to be a rebuilding job no matter what,”

“The only thing I do wonder about is this may be the last realistic time that if he wants to be the coach at Miami "
Does Mario love his Alma Mata, yes! Is he coming here, no. It's a pipe dream!

well, unless you know something the rest of us don't you are just wishing too (I guess, wishing you are right)- except I am not sure why you are being so negative about it? Mental states can sometimes color one's perspective one way or another with no bearing on plausibility or impossibility.

A plausible case can be made for Mario. Doesn't mean it's a certainty. But yet you are acting as if it is certain he's not coming with no more or less information anyone else has!

Yeah, whatever man!

Salt

It's quite simple. I'm just a realistic ****.

Let's swing back on this in a couple of months while Manny is telling us how good we're going to be next year and discuss this.

IF YOU'RE REALISTIC you'll accept the fact that it's FAR MORE PLAUSIBLE that Manny will still be here still spreading his BS.......than Mario EVER coming here.

I'm putting it out there now.... Mario will not be our HC anytime soon no matter how hard we wish or pray. I sincerely pray I'm wrong but I doubt it

But dreamon

Last edited:
First, bless Feldman, but his relationship with Mario is superficial. He's a media guy who happened to be at Miami when Mario was on campus more than 2 decades ago. That's a returned phone call and an ice-breaker. Feldman now gets paid to speculate and, like the rest of us, try and put 2 and 2 together. Sometimes he's good at it, other times not so much. Not buying his idea of Mario jumping ship for USC, unless they throw an ungodly amount of cash his way.

Second, as said elsewhere, it's too early to determine how this plays out. Both Oregon and Miami have seasons to play out. If things go well for Oregon, Phil Knight's underlings will determine how much they like Mario and what he's worth. Miami has to first decide who's really making decisions. What do they do with Blake James, what's owed Manny, what's Mario's buyout at Oregon, what's the potential salary for Mario and his staff, and where do they get the money from.

Again, it's 3 weeks into the season and it's pure speculation on what might play out in January.

Absolute truth.

Miami has pumped out some very well-known names in sports media (including Roy Firestone), but I was actually surprised that Feldman has become as big of a deal as he has. When LeBatard ruled the roost at UM, his lapdog was a guy named Todd Wright, for a while he had a late-night radio show on ESPN called "Todd Wright Up All Night". Now, Todd Wright was a GAPING ****hole, everything he ever got or had came from LeBatard's sloppy seconds.

Feldman was never the "knows-everyone/knows-everything" guy. Good researcher, good writer, but LeBatard had everyone's phone number (including Lou Holtz's). Until LeBatard ran with all of his 10-year old gossip and put us on probation.

Advertisement
Even when he was at UM, he wasn't the King Of All Sports Info. That was LeBatard.

Bruce has a lot of general knowledge, but when it comes to UM, I trust certain posters on this board more than I do Bruce. And I really like Bruce.
I like Bruce as well, it wasn’t a personal comment. I just hear things then listen to people and I’m like this dude is full of **** lol. That’s why I finally stopped with the 247 and Cs pod s awhile ago

Sorry to disagree but he’s been wrong on literally every prediction I’ve ever seen him make, including that ridiculous ban bet he made about two recruits.

You are analyzing this incorrectly. He was absolutely right about the recruits BUT there were intervening events. He was NOT WRONG about the fact that they were about to pick Miami, but the outcome was...tampered with...

Sure, if you try to analyze ONLY the outcome, then his info and the outcome did not match up. But his info was not, in and of itself, wrong.

Money talks. LOUDLY.

Advertisement
The guy is out there for sure, but if your basis is recruits who change their minds on the hour, then that's on you. If you follow recruiting and take information, it's caveat emptor if you think it can't change. It's not like he was an idiot with his head in the ground thinking Manny was going to go 15-0, 14-1 or any respectable record.

Mario is a good dude, like him a lot, and I hope he keeps winning.
But in the what have you done for me lately world, if he drops a couple of games he's not expected to lose, this Mario to Miami talk will quiet down real quick.

I say it picks up even more, as he knows he is recruiting at highest level he can @ UO and has reached his ceiling there

I agree with Roman Marciante (think thats his name) his last video on YT he said we dont have the horses to beat basic teams anymore and I agree 1000000 percent.

You think we collapsed in a 17-14 game because of lack of horses? Borregales misses a 27-yarder to tie the game at 10-10 and I look at my son and said watch Michigan State march right down the field and score. It is what a Diaz led team does.

Do we have enough talent to overcome bad coaching against basic teams? No, but there is no excuse for the untimely penalties, turnovers, alignment issues and kids constantly out of position. Our personnel packages are just plain wrong. I could go on and on and on.

Is there a more poorly coached team within the P5? Maybe FSU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back