Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Separate from whether Mario is or should be a candidate, anyone who doesn't think this can happen has no idea that for the Miami Cuban population, Miami is seen as the end-all-be-all of the universe. The allure of Miami (perhaps more the city and culture than the program) will always pull Mario and family (and his OL coach to boot, who was a Miami lifer till Mario advanced him to the college coaching ranks).

Advertisement
is there a scenario where Blake is relegated to a lesser role and we get someone like Alonzo just for football?
Bruce Feldman talks about Miami and Mario on his podcast: The Audible

The entire podcast is really interesting - the Miami discussion starts around the 53 minute mark. Prior to the Cristobol conversation, Bruce and Stew talk about FSU....

Reading his take on Mario and our money situation once again proves why I don’t listen to anyone in the media especially Canes related. Even alums in the media.

I know that hiring him would mean the admin will support football and would be good for us. Maybe he is what we need in order to get the Admin to get their heads out their a$$

not only just good for us as fans, but good for the program and, in turn, good for the school financially in the long term.

Advertisement
Separate from whether Mario is or should be a candidate, anyone who doesn't think this can happen has no idea that for the Miami Cuban population, Miami is seen as the end-all-be-all of the universe. The allure of Miami (perhaps more the city and culture than the program) will always pull Mario and family (and his OL coach to boot, who was a Miami lifer till Mario advanced him to the college coaching ranks).

I am Cuban and currently don't live in Miami but that is where my family first arrived and became our homestead. All my memories growing up, having friends, going to school (from elementary to UM), getting married, having kids, etc. are tied there so it does still hold a special place for me. I am sure it's the same for other Cubans who grew up there freshly arrived after being exiled with nothing but clothes on our backs (me in diapers).

From what’s been said lemonis doesn’t care about football that much but does like Mario. So if Mario (and maybe Alonzo) get on board maybe he takes a more vested interest. He actually just put up some coin for a new building at Columbus
That guy is an ******* but I can see that happening since he’s from the Columbus mafia.

Theres a push for that from some bot members and boosters. Those are the two.

There’s also a group that likes Blake because of his fundraising. If they want Mario they’ll have to can Blake. At least that’s a start.
So let Blake stay and work under Alonzo. Let Alonzo be the AD and run football and let blake and strawley infect the other parts of the AD and do fundraising..
My question is, if you’re willing to shell out so much money for Mario, who would be better than Mario to throw all that money to. If we’re talking buyouts etc. The total of that amount would be insane and can basically net you almost any coach in the country. So why not go after the big dogs.
it's not just about "big dogs" but miami is unique for culture fit as well.. Mario can fit in at Miami (not just because he's Cuban).. he has the experience and the connections locally, he has relationships with past Canes and the history of the programs and the city itself/high schools.. he has a lot of connections in the coaching world now too since he's had a lot of years experience as a head coach at two different schools as well as a significant role and time under Nick Saban..

there are probably better X/O coaches out there but doubtful that there are better all around fits to be the head coach at the University of Miami long-term..

Advertisement
Disagree with a couple things. 1. This isn’t a full blown rebuild. Miami won 10 games last year. Lot of talent on the roster that is just underachieving for multiple reasons. 2. Not so sure USC has so much more money than Miami. They just dug themselves out of a huge scandal and the reason they couldn’t get rid of Helton last year was because his buyout and they couldn’t pay it.

Huh? Which Miami you talkin’ bout? Lol

I agree that it isn’t a full blown rebuild but first priority is seriously revamping this Offensive Line. We will never SERIOUSLY compete until that is fixed with quality numbers. The fact that we have 1 kid committed there right now is a ******* shame. Not to mention the fact that he is a complete project.

If we hired a domineering, good HC, would the board be happy if Blake is retained? Consider that Blake seems like the kind of guy that others can steamroll. Anyone ok with a puppet at AD if that means the head football coach always gets his way?

Advertisement
I agree.

I wish we could get Saban to decide he wants to be back in SFLA instead of Tuscaloosa. But that ain't happening either.

Nothing wrong with wishing. But let's not lose a grip on reality. And until things here change substantially......this is NOT a high profile job

there is wishful thinking like your Saban example and then there is a feasible wish like getting Mario. True, both are wishes, but nowhere near equivalent.

Advertisement
My pesismism about Mario and Zo has nothing to do with money or interest. It is based on past experience. We are cursed. We can never enjoy a good thing even when presented on a silver platter. We seem destined for failure. Therefore, I expect nothing but continued misery.

Now that I got that out of the way....

I offer a sacrifice to the Football Gods and beg them to please show mercy and end 20+ years of suffering by making this happen.

7E456DEC-2217-4C4B-AE44-51713CBDCE06.gif 549AE8E2-AEA4-4133-B7C6-3A6A53107907.gif

Last edited:
First, bless Feldman, but his relationship with Mario is superficial. He's a media guy who happened to be at Miami when Mario was on campus more than 2 decades ago. That's a returned phone call and an ice-breaker. Feldman now gets paid to speculate and, like the rest of us, try and put 2 and 2 together. Sometimes he's good at it, other times not so much. Not buying his idea of Mario jumping ship for USC, unless they throw an ungodly amount of cash his way.

Second, as said elsewhere, it's too early to determine how this plays out. Both Oregon and Miami have seasons to play out. If things go well for Oregon, Phil Knight's underlings will determine how much they like Mario and what he's worth. Miami has to first decide who's really making decisions. What do they do with Blake James, what's owed Manny, what's Mario's buyout at Oregon, what's the potential salary for Mario and his staff, and where do they get the money from.

Again, it's 3 weeks into the season and it's pure speculation on what might play out in January.

Advertisement
Back