Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Advertisement
Im gonna assume most of y’all are married so why are you discounting what the wife wants? If she wants to come home and Miami can match what Oregon pays him or get real close it’s gonna happen. And I can tell you the real difference in him and Manny, really all first time HC’s that have been given the job here, is he’s proved he can build a program. The rumblings of him being fired won’t pop up. He’ll be given enough time to do what needs to be done.

IMO the only roadblock Miami has is the money he should demand to prove Miami wants to win and firing Blake James. Mario shouldn’t want to work for him after what went down a couple years ago the last time the job came open.

Rough math (and correctly if someone finds something more accurate)
Diaz buyout 6mil
Mario buyout 12mil
Mario salary per year 4.5mil

Right now it would cost 22.5 mil upfront with no staff

After 2022 season
Diaz 3mil
Mario 8mil
Mario salary 4.5mil

After next season cost is 15.5 upfront

Barring a complete **** show to finish the season, I think BOT makes next year make or break for Diaz. Mario buyout drops, Diaz buyout drops. Much more realistic to get Mario here but still pricey
I believe Feldman said Mario’s buyout is $9 million this year but aside from that Mario won’t be available after next season, either because he takes the USC job or Oregon extends him to fend off USC. If it’s Mario it happens this year or doesn’t happen at all.

Im gonna assume most of y’all are married so why are you discounting what the wife wants? If she wants to come home and Miami can match what Oregon pays him or get real close it’s gonna happen. And I can tell you the real difference in him and Manny, really all first time HC’s that have been given the job here, is he’s proved he can build a program. The rumblings of him being fired won’t pop up. He’ll be given enough time to do what needs to be done.

IMO the only roadblock Miami has is the money he should demand to prove Miami wants to win and firing Blake James. Mario shouldn’t want to work for him after what went down a couple years ago the last time the job came open.
It's been discussed a few places that Mario's wife would prefer to be back in Miami fwiw

Look, I’m the first to admit that I was anti Mario until recently. But I can’t shake a quote he had in the first The U documentary when he was explaining life under Jimmy Johnson (I believe he played under him earlier in his college career then finished with Dennis). Anyway, the quote was something akin to Jimmy making it extremely clear to his players that one of two things happen on the football field: what he coaches them to do, or what he ALLOWS them to do. In other words, you wanna play, get it right or be a playmaker. If not, there’s a great view from the bench.

I could definitely get behind this philosophy and Mario seems to have been shaped by it first hand.

Advertisement
OK, just for the helluvit, let's play a hypothetical game. Three years ago, Carol Soffer was willing to pay Manny's buyout. Without getting into specific numbers, what if she put up the money for half of Manny's current buyout? Is the buyout "a killer" at that juncture?

The point is, we have to stop speculating on "money". UM has plenty of money, the issue is the willingness to spend it in the pursuit of a change that can lead to more money down the road.

---What if Miami continues to struggle in football and basketball? The adidas contract does not need to be renewed imminently, but at some point, Miami is no longer an attractive school for a competitive bidding process.

---Fund-raising is a current issue. Ticket sales (and merch and food/beverage) are current issues. Bad PR is a current issue. Undergrad applications are a current issue.

---The AD issues have been exposed. At some point, the "rip the Band-Aid off" approach has to be considered. While one-time-costly, sometimes a clean sweep is required. And Frenk's contract renewal already 13 months overdue.

Let's just take money off the table, particularly if some of the BOT are willing to come out-of-pocket. If they are willing to spend THEIR OWN MONEY, I can certainly envision the possibility that they can muster the votes to spend UM's money.
UM is more than fine financially. Now is actually the best possible time to spend some money.

I believe Feldman said Mario’s buyout is $9 million this year but aside from that Mario won’t be available after next season, either because he takes the USC job or Oregon extends him to fend off USC. If it’s Mario it happens this year or doesn’t happen at all.
why would he take the USC job rather than just stay at Oregon? At least Miami offers some intangibles he would not have at either place. If Miami can at least match what Oregon is willing to pay the intangibles may tip the scales our way.

why would he take the USC job rather than just stay at Oregon? At least Miami offers some intangibles he would not have at either place. If Miami can at least match what Oregon is willing to pay the intangibles may tip the scales our way.
Same conference, same resources same recruiting pool. Except he will be under a lot more pressure at USC.

If Mario comes please tell him to bring Flowe and some OL guys
Can players transfer to a school where their former coach goes? Seems like that could be shady, would love it in this case though obviously.

Advertisement
I don’t think he would take the USC job over Miami. I am of the belief Mario really wants the Miami job. My response was to the poster suggesting Miami may want to wait until 2022 with Manny and Blake still employed to get a lower buyout.

Mario is the hot name in coaching right now, if the Miami job is not available this season he’s going to either take the USC job or use it to leverage Oregon into giving him a bigger contract, making a buyout in 2022 significantly more expensive.

Agreed but it will be more than just the wife that will be a factor. Are his or her parents still around and in Miami? If so that can be a huge determining factor. Also wanting to be close to his brother and having their kids grow up together. Not to mention other extended family for both of them to consider.

I think the thing with USC is they have several mega boosters who were more than willing to foot the bill LAST year. The issue was the guy they wanted wasn't interested and the University President apparently wasn't on board with the choice had he been . They are still dealing with lawsuits, etc from the Varsity Blues scandal. They have the money lined up to pay someone BIG; it will just have to be someone with a big enough name and cache to make the boosters happy AND with enough integrity to satisfy the Univ. President.
Supposedly that president is on her way out. That she was only there to get them through those scandals. So that may not be a hiccup anymore. I know the AD wanted urban but she didn’t. But idk I was hearing they weren’t ready to foot that bill that’s why they didn’t. But who knows. Wel see who they snag.

Supposedly that president is on her way out. That she was only there to get them through those scandals. So that may not be a hiccup anymore. I know the AD wanted urban but she didn’t. But idk I was hearing they weren’t ready to foot that bill that’s why they didn’t. But who knows. Wel see who they snag.

Presidents don’t matter that much, but that Urban situation was ridiculous. You just settled a huge lawsuit and you want to hire a guy that was suspended for ignoring domestic violence.

Advertisement
Feldman is close to Mario - went to school with him and has been friends for years. He says that he doesn't think Mario knows what Mario wants to do. He doesn't see Mario as one of the college coaches who ultimately goes to the NFL; coaches like Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley are the type of coaches he sees doing that down the road.

Feldman believes that there are two schools Oregon should worry about with regard to Cristobol: USC and Miami.
Feldman also recognizes that Miami could be categorized as Cristobol's dream job and it would be interesting to see what he would do if Miami really pushes to hire him.

“In my mind, just knowing Mario—and I went to school with him, so I’ve known him a long time—like USC can pay Mario a lot more than Miami can, but Miami is home. His brother Lou is a Miami-Dade police officer and the family is entrenched there in that culture,” Feldman said.

“I was with [Mario] when they were playing their bowl game against Michigan State basically when the Miami job came open and they scrambled to bring Manny Diaz back to be the head coach,” Feldman said. “They couldn’t have afforded Mario’s buyout at that point, which was somewhere between $11M-$12M and I am not sure they can afford it now at $9M, so it may be a non-starter at that point.”

“I know Mario thinks he has a really good team now and he thinks they will be even better in 2022 and 2023,”

“If he wants to be the Miami head coach, it is going to be a rebuilding job no matter what,”

“The only thing I do wonder about is this may be the last realistic time that if he wants to be the coach at Miami "
Miami is a rebuilding job whether the fans think so or not it's been a rebuilding job for years according to every recruiting class we signed. Still haven't had that dominant recruiting class where in the back of your mind u say "this is the class". We have not had a class like that don't let anyone fool u.

Stop listening to people who say this CAN’T happen. It absolutely can.

There is a clear difference here between can’t and won’t. Miami CAN afford Mario. It just takes a commitment. Mario CAN be pried out of there. This isn’t some long-term destination for him. He’s not retiring in Eugene. But the question is WANT. Does Miami WANT to reach that deep into the pockets? If so, does Mario WANT to come home? If the answers to both of those questions are “yes”, then this CAN happen.

Advertisement
It'll be Alonzo & Mario....
Pray Praise The Lord GIF

Really. I hadn't heard that about Carol Folt. I got the idea that she was exactly the kind of admin they wanted, especially in terms of her academic background. I know they sold off the giant mansion previously used by the University President. she lives in a more modest home than her predecessors.

Advertisement
Back