Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Advertisement
MSU alone has shown everyone how quickly a program can rebuild through the portal. Miami esp with Mario would have to be if not #1 in desirability to xfer to then certainly way up there.

Plus, just having a staff that players buy into alone can produce dramatic changes in play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I just think Mario buyout is a killer ?

OK, just for the helluvit, let's play a hypothetical game. Three years ago, Carol Soffer was willing to pay Manny's buyout. Without getting into specific numbers, what if she put up the money for half of Manny's current buyout? Is the buyout "a killer" at that juncture?

The point is, we have to stop speculating on "money". UM has plenty of money, the issue is the willingness to spend it in the pursuit of a change that can lead to more money down the road.

---What if Miami continues to struggle in football and basketball? The adidas contract does not need to be renewed imminently, but at some point, Miami is no longer an attractive school for a competitive bidding process.

---Fund-raising is a current issue. Ticket sales (and merch and food/beverage) are current issues. Bad PR is a current issue. Undergrad applications are a current issue.

---The AD issues have been exposed. At some point, the "rip the Band-Aid off" approach has to be considered. While one-time-costly, sometimes a clean sweep is required. And Frenk's contract renewal already 13 months overdue.

Let's just take money off the table, particularly if some of the BOT are willing to come out-of-pocket. If they are willing to spend THEIR OWN MONEY, I can certainly envision the possibility that they can muster the votes to spend UM's money.

He can't...cause I never said it...tell his dumb *** to bet there wasn't a BOT meeting with Ray Ray present..

I know. I never challenge anyone on anything that I don't know I would win, whether it is posting quotes or taking IQ tests.

Advertisement
Saw someone else say that Mani's current buyout is $6m. Is this correct? I know Mario's is $9m but I can't find anything on Mani.

No one sees Knight coming in with a huge bonus to stay in Oregon?

Disagree with a couple things. 1. This isn’t a full blown rebuild. Miami won 10 games last year. Lot of talent on the roster that is just underachieving for multiple reasons. 2. Not so sure USC has so much more money than Miami. They just dug themselves out of a huge scandal and the reason they couldn’t get rid of Helton last year was because his buyout and they couldn’t pay it.
I think the thing with USC is they have several mega boosters who were more than willing to foot the bill LAST year. The issue was the guy they wanted wasn't interested and the University President apparently wasn't on board with the choice had he been . They are still dealing with lawsuits, etc from the Varsity Blues scandal. They have the money lined up to pay someone BIG; it will just have to be someone with a big enough name and cache to make the boosters happy AND with enough integrity to satisfy the Univ. President.

Advertisement
Yes, if Miami wants to operate like they did the past 20 years the buyout (and money in general) are problems.

I hope they understand now that you can’t go cheap anymore.
I think that there are coaches out there that you can get without throwing $ at it, Looked at Herman in Texas. We were able to find a JJ & DE, and Butch at reasonable $. The problem is we had a Sam Jancovich finding coaches backed them, this current group in charge now, not so sure they would know a good coach if they tripped over one.

I think that there are coaches out there that you can get without throwing $ at it, Looked at Herman in Texas. We were able to find a JJ & DE, and Butch at reasonable $. The problem is we had a Sam Jancovich finding coaches backed them, this current group in charge now, not so sure they would know a good coach if they tripped over one.
Yeah, it’s true.

But I think that you have to call Cristobal first thing first and make him say no 176 times before going for other names.

Advertisement
No one sees Knight coming in with a huge bonus to stay in Oregon?

^^^ THIS!!^^^^

We simply can't compete in this battle.

While we're scouring the floors and bathroom stalls of Miami scratching for pennies (Remember it took forever and moving heaven and earth trying to come up with the final 1million for the indoor facility? ...so gimme a break)

Knight can pull millions out of his back pocket anyday of the week and even more on Sundays.

Move on to someone else

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back