Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Advertisement
Rough math (and correctly if someone finds something more accurate)
Diaz buyout 6mil
Mario buyout 12mil
Mario salary per year 4.5mil

Right now it would cost 22.5 mil upfront with no staff

After 2022 season
Diaz 3mil
Mario 8mil
Mario salary 4.5mil

After next season cost is 15.5 upfront

Barring a complete **** show to finish the season, I think BOT makes next year make or break for Diaz. Mario buyout drops, Diaz buyout drops. Much more realistic to get Mario here but still pricey

Mario’s buyout is 9M, and drops to 6.5M in January.

Also, you can easily make the financial case that paying the upfront cost for Mario would pay for itself through ticket sales, philanthropy, marketing, etc. A top 10 UM would be printing money for the school.

Another note, the financial position of the school is currently excellent. The numbers will probably be public in a month or so, but the most recent fiscal year was off the charts. Now is the time to make a move if there ever was one. Money should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In this day and age of social media and the whole "look at me" mentality I find it hard to believe they (Oregon) would be working quietly behind the scenes on a new deal for Mario without anyone leaking it or straight up spilling the beans.
I agree his silence on it is deafening though..........
Why is it deafening? No one but MiamI fans are talking about a coaching change, there is no opening, and he hasn’t been asked about it so why would he voluntarily say something?

Anyone who thinks Mario doesn't want the UM job are mistaken...
I’m sure he did , and would, if we weren’t a joke program and his other option wasnt to stay at Oregon where he is already having success and has a blank check for almost anything

Last edited:
Advertisement
Theres a push for that from some bot members and boosters. Those are the two.

There’s also a group that likes Blake because of his fundraising. If they want Mario they’ll have to can Blake. At least that’s a start.

Funny thing is, he hasn't been THAT great at this, at least when you compare him to other schools.

Let's not forget, we had a basketball arena groundbreaking IN THE 1990S. If Ryder hadn't pulled out of the name sponsorship, we would have had a basketball arena a decade earlier, and then the IPF would have been next. I was one of the few people who said that Beta Blake shouldn't be getting a reacharound for FINISHING the IPF.

And let's not forget that the person whose name is on the IPF is the one willing to pay Mario's buyout.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why is it deafening? No one but MiamI fans are talking about a coaching change, there is no opening, and he hasn’t been asked about it so why would he voluntarily say something?
It also hurts his leverage with both because if the Miami job opens up he is at worst can play that opening to either get the most out of Miami or get a raise from Oregon. However, if it says he has no interest in leaving Oregon he loses leverage with them and any other school.

Advertisement
It looks like the popular sentiment around the country is that Cristobal would leave Oregon for Miami (which is very surprising to me tbh).

Now it’s time for UM to do their part because, Mario or not, Manny ain’t it and Blake James is the worst P5 AD ever.

If we will be cheap again, we will have cheap results. It’s that simple.
I just think Mario buyout is a killer ?

There’s a war going on outside manny is not safe from
awkward archer GIF

Disagree with a couple things. 1. This isn’t a full blown rebuild. Miami won 10 games last year. Lot of talent on the roster that is just underachieving for multiple reasons. 2. Not so sure USC has so much more money than Miami. They just dug themselves out of a huge scandal and the reason they couldn’t get rid of Helton last year was because his buyout and they couldn’t pay it.

Advertisement
Back