Another Oregon based Media Take on Christobal

Unless I’m reading it all wrong I can’t see Cristobal doing an about-face and descending to the bottom of that mountain so he can start the task over -- even at Miami.
Wow we suck that bad huh?

While all that’s going on I’m thinking Oregon AD Rob Mullens will be playing some good defense and talking with Cristobal’s agent about what more the Ducks might be able to do to make Miami a non-factor in this hiring cycle.
See this is what makes this a fanboy begging him to stay letter instead of well reasoned article. Why hasn’t Mario or Oregon come out with a huge extension? It’s either malpractice by Mario’s agent to not try and hustle Oregon or they are waiting to hear Miami’s pitch to see if they are really committed to competing with the big boys of football.

Nowhere in the article does he mention how Tucker and Franklin extorted their schools for more money based on rumors they were interested in open jobs.

I can’t wait to be bouncing between Super Mario thread and Oregon Tears thread on Monday.

Advertisement
Most important part was this.

"I received several inquiries from nervous boosters who noted the flight plan and wondered if the Hurricanes are planning to pounce on the Ducks’ coach with a hard sales pitch and a blank check should Oregon lose to Utah."

Even their boosters are worried? Enough said.

Do they do it differently in the US? 'Cos it's literally the simplest thing in the world - put nozzle in car and squeeze trigger.
It could be Oregon is like New Jersey where it’s illegal for customers to pump their gas. Just guessing here.

"I received several inquiries from nervous boosters who noted the flight plan and wondered if the Hurricanes are planning to pounce on the Ducks’ coach with a hard sales pitch and a blank check should Oregon lose to Utah."

Flying one of those c130’s packed with bags.

Advertisement
No one knows anything. They have their perspective on our program from the outside, and its all, we are not attractive why would anyone leave blah blah. Reporting has taken a real nose dive in the last few years. Notice he has no source from Oregon side of things. He says he getting calls from nervous boosters. Man gone. Lots of quacking tomorrow. We gonna have to see if its ND, OU or Oregon have the saltiest tears. Btw they should already be on the phone with Chip Kelly. Unless they salty still

Advertisement
Always funny as a writer to read another writer's work and to see through their words, sniffing out their agenda and paying attention to what they omit in effort to make their points—this parting shot line in particular:

"His alma mater’s football program is splintered in pieces and looking in his direction for glue. The boosters at Miami are desperate and nobody seems to know who is in charge right now."

Miami is hardly "splintered in piece" but absolutely needs a next-level head coach to right the ship. There's talent all over the roster, albeit some holes in the depth chart—and Cristobal's recruiting ability (and South Florida proximity) would be a fast roster fix for the Canes.

This notion that "nobody seems to know who is in charge" is also an egregious statement made to knock the program, based on nothing but the same media reports everyone is firing off.

How does he know what's really going on behind the scenes? If Miami and Cristobal have already spoken and gauged the level of interest? According to a report this morning, sounds like Frenk is more than in charge and he's put Mas and Lemonis—two Columbus grads—in charge of the decision making (both pro-Cristobal), while chasing down another Columbus grad in Highsmith in some football capacity.

The author also leaves out (or doesn't know) that U-Health has turned its show around, profited $800M in the past two years and monies are being allocated for football's growth—again hardly "splintered in pieces".

Lastly, trying to make it an apples to apples comparison and downplaying the alma mater notion—the U Family, the football brotherhood, the fact that Mario has worked at UM three times (and almost a fourth before Saban swooped in). The heart wants what the heart wants and to imply that his family is happy in Eugene—with a chance to come back to his dream gig in Miami—a lot of wishful thinking here.

Same with that fake-*** notion that they'd help Mario pack if Alabama came calling. Please. Acting like it's not about losing him, but about who they'd lose him to and when—laughable.

Oregon is as delusional a fan base out there and the fact they're pretending Cristobal's connection there is bigger than it is, or that his connection to Miami isn't that big a deal—sound pretty desperate to me; scared as ****, but trying to act tough.

He should have put in the article that no matter what advantage you think Oregon may have over Miami…. Sometimes it’s not enough to overcome HOME….. and that Oregon fans is why you shouldn’t be arrogant in saying “ it’s just Miami, if it were Alabama that would be different.”
The Oregon - Alabama comparative got me.........really.........LOL

Funny enough, beyond Uncle Phil, Oregon does not have the vaunted donor network they claim to have. A guy that runs one of their boards even asked a few weeks ago for people to donate to the school since the pandemic hit their AD finances.

Advertisement
Funny enough, beyond Uncle Phil, Oregon does not have the vaunted donor network they claim to have. A guy that runs one of their boards even asked a few weeks ago for people to donate to the school since the pandemic hit their AD finances.
Exactly. If not for that single booster where would they be? Its that the entire program is what/where it is because of the existence of a single booster. And that's not a good thing.

Tbh, Oregon reminds me of a Wisconsin, Virginia Tech or Oklahoma St as a program. Usually at least decent with the occasional top 10 team. Sometimes there'll be a double digit win season with a major bowl invite. A team you wouldn't want to take lightly, but not a consistent winner or national championship threat.

Nothing against any of them either. Its just the way most non homers view them and Oregon.

The progression is phenomenal.

1) "Guys, Lol that Miami thinks they can pull Mario from our school"
2) "Guys don't listen to these crazy rumors, he ain't leaving. Miami is a mess"
3) "Guys, I haven't heard anything from my end about Mario leaving"
4) "Guys, I don't think Mario will leave because he's built so much"
5) "Guys, the school knows what it has to do to keep Mario"
6) "Guys, Mario may leave for Miami but we'll have a chance to make him an offer and keep him"
7) "Guys, I'm in front of his house with the Love Actually signs. I think this will work"
8) "Guys, I have him tied in my trunk. I'm pretty confident he's not going anywhere"
9) "Guys, cops on my tail but we ain't losing another one"
10) "Guys, he untied the ropes and ran from my car. I'm starting to think he may really be leaving"
Quoting because I can only give a positive reaction once

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back