Another Oregon based Media Take on Christobal

It is actually by law interestingly enough. When I first moved here and was driving through rural Oregon I thought I was getting robbed by some meth addict as a semi toothed man approached my driver side door when I shut my engine off.
Yep he had to explain that to me. I was like… are gas pumps different in Oregon or what? Lmao

Advertisement
The fact that this was written means Mario is least seriously considering us - you don't write this unless you're truly worried.

“No coach would leave Oregon with all its resources for a rebuild project for a team in Florida! Oh right, except for the guy before Cristobal. Ok well, two coaches in a row won't leave Oregon for rebuild projects of teams in Florida. We're too desirable. It's just not possible!“

Right now Oregon sounds like a very large woman with a tremendous amount of body positivity. "No man could resist this! "

Give me a break! Totally agree!!

Yeah, with each passing hour, the more it really looks like it is Mario, which I will be thrilled with!!

Oregon fans conveniently forget that:

1. They always are cheap to moderate in paying for coaches.
2. They hired Willie Taggart
3. They let FSU poach Willie

Whatever helps them sleep at night

They always (except for Willie) promote their OCs to HC, and then pay the new guy less than the old guy...

Advertisement
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 12.49.55 PM.png

He should have put in the article that no matter what advantage you think Oregon may have over Miami…. Sometimes it’s not enough to overcome HOME….. and that Oregon fans is why you shouldn’t be arrogant in saying “ it’s just Miami, if it were Alabama that would be different.”

Is that from a professional media source? Reads like a fan letter. And, as we know best, fans are often disappointed.

For example, when Mario is announced as the Miami coach, and he poaches some of those Oregon OL commits from Texas.
Who knows what is gonna happen but the statement that he just won’t do what Kelly or Riley just did is hysterical. If we have learned anything this coaching cycle is that there is no loyalty. Everything is on the table after what happened with those two.

“No coach would leave Oregon with all its resources for a rebuild project for a team in Florida! Oh right, except for the guy before Cristobal. Ok well, two coaches in a row won't leave Oregon for rebuild projects of teams in Florida. We're too desirable. It's just not possible!“

IT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE...except for the last time...

Advertisement
I am in Portland and wanted to share our local media take on this. This is not behind a paywall if you are so inclined to check it out yourself. Mods please merge with the appropriate thread if you think it is necessary~

Oregon Live re: Cristobal

LAS VEGAS -- The University of Miami is a fighting mess right now. The Board of Trustees is divided but pulled together plans to interview athletic director candidates on Thursday and again today. After that, maybe it will hire a new head football coach. Or maybe not.

Which bring us to Clara Cristobal’s youngest son -- Mario.

He was born in Miami, went to elementary school there, learned to drive his first car there and when it came time to pick a college he stayed home and became a Hurricane. Just last weekend Mario flew across the country in a rush to visit his mother who he said is sick and not doing well.

Cristobal arrived back in Eugene after the brief visit and said: “She’s fighting. That’s the best way to say it, and that’s exactly what I expected to see out of her. We’re going to go day-by-day.”

Oregon will play Utah today in the Pac-12 Championship game. Cristobal, 51, appears focused on the job he has to do. He pointed out that his mother, who instilled hard-scrabble work ethic and values in her children, would have wanted him to be with his team. She’d have told him to do the job to the best of his abilities and he always listened to his mother so that’s just what he’s doing.

Still, one source close to Cristobal told me late Thursday night, “The mom issue is rough. They’re very close and he’s struggling.”

It puts the football in perspective doesn’t it?

Miami may need a football coach in the coming days. If there’s a vacancy boosters in South Florida will undoubtedly pool resources and aim at some point to attempt to bring Cristobal home. I’m just not sold the Ducks coach would abandon what he’s built in four seasons at Oregon. He’s climbed three quarters of the way up the College Football Playoff mountain. His two children and wife, Jessica, by all accounts appear to love living in Eugene. Unless I’m reading it all wrong I can’t see Cristobal doing an about-face and descending to the bottom of that mountain so he can start the task over -- even at Miami.

Would the UO coach maybe leave in three or five seasons? Sure, maybe if he’d hit the ceiling at Oregon or circumstances changed. What if Nick Saban retires and the Alabama job opens in a year or three? Yup. I’d bet AD Greg Byrne would have Cristobal on his short list. I’d even help the guy pack. But right now I’m all-in on the idea that Cristobal won’t do what Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly did this week to their universities.

Miami may be waiting on Cristobal today but I think it will always be there.

Instead, I think Cristobal will maniacally focus on beating Utah and ushering the Ducks to another Rose Bowl. Then, I suspect he’ll shift directions and jump on a private charter from Las Vegas and get to his mother’s side as quickly as he can. While all that’s going on I’m thinking Oregon AD Rob Mullens will be playing some good defense and talking with Cristobal’s agent about what more the Ducks might be able to do to make Miami a non-factor in this hiring cycle.

Conspiracy theorists noted on Thursday night that a flight plan was filed for a private charter from Miami to Las Vegas. It very could be a bachelor party or some whale who just likes to play roulette on The Strip every weekend. I received several inquiries from nervous boosters who noted the flight plan and wondered if the Hurricanes are planning to pounce on the Ducks’ coach with a hard sales pitch and a blank check should Oregon lose to Utah.

Coaches talk about family all the time in sports. They use it in recruiting and team building. I’m left thinking a little bit about how that extends to an entire university community. Utah, which had two players die in less than a year, is a wonderful example of that. The Utes pulled together, not just as a team but as a university community this season. It’s been a galvanizing ride to the title game for that program. Perspective is a powerful thing.

Meanwhile, there’s a lot going on today across the field for Oregon, isn’t there?

Cristobal’s mother is battling. Her son is thinking on her while trying to capture his third-straight Pac-12 title. His alma mater’s football program is splintered in pieces and looking in his direction for glue. The boosters at Miami are desperate and nobody seems to know who is in charge right now. Amid that, Oregon has to be focused on trying to put its arms around its football coach.

Not in some attempt to keep him in Eugene. But because it needs to let him know it’s there.

If I'm an Oregon fan worried about losing Cristobal and someone sends me this article for reassurance, I leave it feeling more worried after reading that piece.
If I'm the HC at a school in Oregon with lofty expectations, I would worry that at anytime 2-3 out of USC, UCLA, and Washington start winning and recruiting at the level they have in the past leaving my program to fight OSU, Wazzu, and Arizona schools for recruiting scraps. Better hope that mountain has multi-lane road to top.

This is what one expects from a local sports reporter in Oregon.

You expected something different?

Lol, that's pretty a pretty blatant open letter to Mario. "Please don't leave us, you're better than those dirt bags Kelly and Riley"
He is, especially Kelly. Riley at least waited until OU was out of the playoff. Mario's waiting until his commitment to this years team is complete (Later tonight)

No sauce, just wild speculation of some dude on the forum.

Why do these dopes continue to act as if it is all about money?

As if one of the most "loves his alma mater" guys is just toying with his alma mater so that he can get a raise (in an already overheated labor market that would easily justify giving him a raise without him having to play games with his own alma mater)...

Advertisement
Advertisement
So basically Oregons hopes are pinned on "he won't leave what he built over the last four years." Seems to me that is an excellent reason that he can walk away without guilt. Took a program in shambles and made it into a conference title contender, he is leaving it in good hands for the next guy.

As for he wouldn't want to participate in another rebuild? This is where dummies who only look at the W/L record don't realize that a halfway competent coach would have won 10+ games with this roster. At the very least, UVA and FSU are wins, UM plays NC St in the conference championship (who we already beat) and if we win the bowl, that's at minimum, an 11 win season without breaking a sweat. And then he gets a QB who has had the best start of a career of any ACC QB in 15 years. UM is not a rebuild.
If he doesn't touch the offense and the defense is a touchdown a game better, we win the coastal next year. Not saying ACC title of CFB Playoff, but the coastal is there to be had, especially with Howell, Pickett, and Armstrong leaving.

Mario would just have to avoid a 13-7 curb stomping at the hands of Virginia Tech...

We're not immune to it but this stuff from Oregon just seems to constantly reek of child-like sensibilities and rationale. Things like:

-I can't see Cristobal leaving now. Maybe in a couple years but not now.

-Miami will always be there. You don't have to leave now.

-We just need to hug Coach and let him know we're here for him.
turns out that portlandia is a documentary.

Advertisement
Back