Another Old Timer Moment

cane1963

Freshman
How many of you, if any at all, remember The Canes last BB game before the University dropped basketball? If you were there I'm sure you remember when our center, Willie Allen, stuffed on over the top of a 7' Jacksonville player. In those days it was illegal to stuff so, Willie got charged with the technical foul. The fans went crazy. It was the perfect play to say goodbye to basketball at the U.

Advertisement
1655225448248.png

I probably wasn’t born for that moment. HOWEVER, I too remember two dollar gas, inflation at 1.6%, fears of deflation and getting lunch for under ten dollars. Seems like a million years ago. Oh…. A stock market that only goes up. To be young again

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Him and Pete Maravich are in a class of their own
Walton, Kareem, The Big O, Bird, Magic and Wilt would all like a moment of your time. There’s others that don’t get enough credit like David Thompson, but the layups (pun intended) are all college beasts and did the same in the pros. I’d take every one of those guys over Berry. Pete is the best ever in college imho I’m sure there are lots of people who don’t think as highly of pistol Pete, but he’s still number one for me too.

Walton, Kareem, The Big O, Bird, Magic and Wilt would all like a moment of your time. There’s others that don’t get enough credit like David Thompson, but the layups (pun intended) are all college beasts and did the same in the pros. I’d take every one of those guys over Berry. Pete is the best ever in college imho I’m sure there are lots of people who don’t think as highly of pistol Pete, but he’s still number one for me too.

Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler were something special in their Houston Cougars college days—the "Phi Slama Jama" brothers, whose dunking game was simply unreal in that era.

God bless ol' Rick Barry, but these guys (and the ones you mentioned) were in a completely different stratosphere.

Miami fans are funny. Barry was beyond solid for an old schooler and all—but too much love just because he was an old school Cane. Had he played for Florida State, the case-building against his career would be hilarious; right down to his funky free throws.

Advertisement
Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler were something special in their Houston Cougars college days—the "Phi Slama Jama" brothers, whose dunking game was simply unreal in that era.

God bless ol' Rick Barry, but these guys (and the ones you mentioned) were in a completely different stratosphere.

Miami fans are funny. Barry was beyond solid for an old schooler and all—but too much love just because he was an old school Cane. Had he played for Florida State, the case-building against his career would be hilarious; right down to his funky free throws.
I loved them! Hakeem is a top 10/15/20 (depending on the age of the discussion participants) of all time guy and if you put him at the four, he’s got a place in a LOT of legends best ever starting five.

I loved them! Hakeem is a top 10/15/20 (depending on the age of the discussion participants) of all time guy and if you put him at the four, he’s got a place in a LOT of legends best ever starting five.
I think he's without question the most SKILLED BIG ever. I had the chance to become friendly with him just before COVID because he saw my nephew playing at John Lucas academy in Houston. He immediately singled him out when he found out how young he was and started working with him at his house. As I explained to my nephew at the time it was a HUGE honor. Not just because of the fact he's one of the best bigs ever but moreso the fact the he routinely turned down the idea of working with just about anyone. High school,college or NBA it was very rare. Than his WHOLE family caught COVID & he moved back to Nigeria if I remember correctly.

Advertisement
I think he's without question the most SKILLED BIG ever. I had the chance to become friendly with him just before COVID because he saw my nephew playing at John Lucas academy in Houston. He immediately singled him out when he found out how young he was and started working with him at his house. As I explained to my nephew at the time it was a HUGE honor. Not just because of the fact he's one of the best bigs ever but moreso the fact the he routinely turned down the idea of working with just about anyone. High school,college or NBA it was very rare. Than his WHOLE family caught COVID & he moved back to Nigeria if I remember correctly.
That’s incredible! He’s in my all time second starting five. He moved like a three with the length of a 5. He was smooth and his second and third moves in the paint are second to NO ONE EVER! Up to twelve feet out with his back to the basket, certain death.

He’s still running circles around Shaq. The dream was incredible. Doesn’t get enough love from the media but the players know.

I probably wasn’t born for that moment. HOWEVER, I too remember two dollar gas, inflation at 1.6%, fears of deflation and getting lunch for under ten dollars. Seems like a million years ago. Oh…. A stock market that only goes up. To be young again
What I recall about the 60s (I graduated from UM in 1966) was wages were stagnant (first job with my college degree was around $7000 a year salary) but so was gas -- 29 cents a gallon, maybe a rise to 32 cents by the end of the decade.

Advertisement
Back