Another Old Timer Moment

Yeah. I played college hoops in North Carolina and people see me always walking around with Miami gear on and ask why I didn't go to Miami if I love it so much. Well, they didn't have a ******* team!
As a UM student, went to BB games over on Miami Beach where we played our home games at the Auditorium or Conv Ctr.

Advertisement
Rick Barry ranks as the most dominating Cane BB player of all time. Can’t think of anyone else who comes close.
When recruits ask now who is the most famous UM hoops player and our coaches say Rick Barry, that's a problem. Rick is deservedly in all the Hall of Fames, on the NBA All-Century team, etc., but it'd be nice to be able to say the name of a more recent player. Barry graduated from UM a year before me in the mid-60s. Was in Iron Arrow as a student, as well as averaging his 30+ ppg. Rick was from Roselle Park, NJ.

Last edited:
What I recall about the 60s (I graduated from UM in 1966) was wages were stagnant (first job with my college degree was around $7000 a year salary) but so was gas -- 29 cents a gallon, maybe a rise to 32 cents by the end of the decade.
If we use the same metrics to Guage inflation in 1980, we’re a little over 15%. It’s criminal what’s happening in Washington. 🤡 I now hear people saying “I don’t care how I feel about the person in office, I just want good policy.” Unbelievable
Elections have consequences and policy matters

Advertisement
Well, Barry is the all time leading scorer and rebounder in program history (and it's not close) so I think it's deserved.
Of course, his honors are well deserved. Just a bit surprising that since 1985 when our program was resurrected, it's been almost 40 years now with no player(s) coming close to his reputation.

That’s incredible! He’s in my all time second starting five. He moved like a three with the length of a 5. He was smooth and his second and third moves in the paint are second to NO ONE EVER! Up to twelve feet out with his back to the basket, certain death.
Not that you are discounting it, but I am often surprised how rarely being one of the best defensive bigs in the leagues history as well is mentioned. Nine time all defense, 2 time DPOY, all time blocks leader still (I think, also acknowledging it wasn't a measured statistic for some time).

Everyone has their favorite, but to me he is the best of the bigs, in the best bigs era.

Not that you are discounting it, but I am often surprised how rarely being one of the best defensive bigs in the leagues history as well is mentioned. Nine time all defense, 2 time DPOY, all time blocks leader still (I think, also acknowledging it wasn't a measured statistic for some time).

Everyone has their favorite, but to me he is the best of the bigs, in the best bigs era.
At the four I’d take Duncan over him. I’d put Bird at the three and Labron behind him. My center would be Wilt one and Kareem two.

I remember going to a few games as a kid before they got rid of the team, and then went to the first game when they resurrected the program.

Rick Barry is definitely the greatest bb player in UM history, but he’s also a hall of fame jerk who never says anything nice about Miami, so f him.

Advertisement
At the four I’d take Duncan over him. I’d put Bird at the three and Labron behind him. My center would be Wilt one and Kareem two.
great stuff

here's my all-time top 5 by best player at each position

C - Russell
PF - Duncan
SF - Bird
SG - Michael
PG - Magic

great stuff

C - Russell
PF - Duncan
SF - Bird
SG - Michael
PG - Magic
I'd take Wilt over Russell. ****, Wilt got 55 rebounds against Russell's Celtics. Russell just had the much, much, much better supporting cast. Not to mention the best coaching staff in the game. That, and he was indeed a **** great player. Wilt was the only reason some of his teams could even come close to competing with the Celtics. He was an athletic freak the likes of which the game had never seen before, or since. The dude could start from the key and dunk from the free throw line. That's insanely sick. He also beat Jim Brown in a foot race, twice. I saw him block three Kareem skyhooks in a row, as an aging player, while Kareem was still Lou. That's crazy, crazy athleticism. For some perspective on how dominant he was, teams tried to get him to come out of retirement in the early 80s, because he was still abusing NBA players in pick up games.

There's a reason he holds so many records. The one that will NEVER be broken, other than the 55 rebound game, is averaging over 48 minutes a game for an entire season. That's sick.

FB_IMG_1654292485108.jpg

I'd take Wilt over Russell. ****, Wilt got 55 rebounds against Russell's Celtics. Russell just had the much, much, much better supporting cast. Not to mention the best coaching staff in the game. That, and he was indeed a **** great player. Wilt was the only reason some of his teams could even come close to competing with the Celtics. He was an athletic freak the likes of which the game had never seen before, or since. The dude could start from the key and dunk from the free throw line. That's insanely sick. He also beat Jim Brown in a foot race, twice. I saw him block three Kareem skyhooks in a row, as an aging player, while Kareem was still Lou. That's crazy, crazy athleticism. For some perspective on how dominant he was, teams tried to get him to come out of retirement in the early 80s, because he was still abusing NBA players in pick up games.

There's a reason he holds so many records. The one that will NEVER be broken, other than the 55 rebound game, is averaging over 48 minutes a game for an entire season. That's sick.
yeah. i saw wilt play too and saw him block the sky hook. no doubt the greatest athletic specimen ever.

i would add that russell was quite an athlete too and that as a high jumper he was world class. he also ran an excellent 400m.

i broke down center into offense, defense, rebounding, shot blocking, passing and, yes, setting picks. there's also the intangible of leadership. of those 7 i would pick russell as goat for at least three and in the mix for goat as a center for at least two more. plus he was quite strong and could battle wilt down low without getting shoved under the rim.

russell won mvp as selected by other players five times. his competitors knew how good he was individually sans his teammates.

finally, i would agree with phil jackson. if i had to start an nba team the player i'd pick first would be russell. above even mj who he coached or wilt who he played against more than he played against russell.

Advertisement
yeah. i saw wilt play too and saw him block the sky hook. no doubt the greatest athletic specimen ever.

i would add that russell was quite an athlete too and that as a high jumper he was world class. he also ran an excellent 400m.

i broke down center into offense, defense, rebounding, shot blocking, passing and, yes, setting picks. there's also the intangible of leadership. of those 7 i would pick russell as goat for at least three and in the mix for goat as a center for at least two more. plus he was quite strong and could battle wilt down low without getting shoved under the rim.

russell won mvp as selected by other players five times. his competitors knew how good he was individually sans his teammates.

finally, i would agree with phil jackson. if i had to start an nba team the player i'd pick first would be russell. above even mj who he coached or wilt who he played against more than he played against russell.
Russell would be my #2. I have a ton of respect for him.

great stuff

C - Russell
PF - Duncan
SF - Bird
SG - Michael
PG - Magic
That’s almost mine exactly. I wouldn’t put Russell at the center position. Eleven rings is an amazing accomplishment. Wilt wasn’t fortunate enough to play with a team as talented, deep or well coached as him. I do understand why you put him there. At this level, there are no wrong answers

Advertisement
Who is that? I think you are thinking **** Hickox who was Miami's first AA but never played with Barry.
Richard ( ****y) Hoffman played with Rick Barry at Miami they stayed in contact through out there lives .
I’ve been Blessed to have ****y Hoffman share many times these letters they’ve wrote to each other.
Rick always commented about how he love watching ****y one hand push shot at the top of the key “ mr, automatic “ Rick called ****y with this shot.

I’ve been so Blessed when I was growing up to be raised around the Hoffman’s and PAPA Nick Chickillo’s family and part of the University of Miami history.

Divky’s beloved wife Barbara was the daughter of Jack Harding head football coach at Miami.

Obviously they’ve all have passed away, there’s not a week that goes by that I don’t stop and remember the Patriarchs of Miami that I’ve been able to be a part of growing up.

One memory:

Playing catch in the Chickillo’s back yard with Jim Kelly telling him “ put some pepper on your throws” laughing as I dropped all his hard passes as not good enough LOLOL.

Those were the best days of my life❤️❤️.

GOCANES

While at Southwest training in off season, I’d practice my line play and snaps for punts and field goals with Steve Alvers a former Cane TE whom also played for Bills and Giants in NFL at Chickillo’s and Tropical park.

I played both ways never came off the field during my time at SW except for halftime.

I played with Jamie Boone a U alumni and played in NFL and of course Tony Chickillo ( the OLD one) LOLOL

I believe that this was the leading cause of my catastrophic ankle dislocation and tendon ligament and nerve damage ended my career and 45 plus years later I still have issues of both ankles.

Thanks for putting up with this old man with some of my memories 🙌🙌🙌

Thank you

Now back to your regular scheduled programing

GOCANES

Richard ( ****y) Hoffman played with Rick Barry at Miami they stayed in contact through out there lives .
I’ve been Blessed to have ****y Hoffman share many times these letters they’ve wrote to each other.
Rick always commented about how he love watching ****y one hand push shot at the top of the key “ mr, automatic “ Rick called ****y with this shot.

I’ve been so Blessed when I was growing up to be raised around the Hoffman’s and PAPA Nick Chickillo’s family and part of the University of Miami history.

Divky’s beloved wife Barbara was the daughter of Jack Harding head football coach at Miami.

Obviously they’ve all have passed away, there’s not a week that goes by that I don’t stop and remember the Patriarchs of Miami that I’ve been able to be a part of growing up.

One memory:

Playing catch in the Chickillo’s back yard with Jim Kelly telling him “ put some pepper on your throws” laughing as I dropped all his hard passes as not good enough LOLOL.

Those were the best days of my life❤️❤️.

GOCANES
Got it. A man I am not familiar with. Appreciate you sharing. I do remember John Dampier but more as a coach. Dampier played with Barry. If there was a 3 point line he would have set records.

Got it. A man I am not familiar with. Appreciate you sharing. I do remember John Dampier but more as a coach. Dampier played with Barry. If there was a 3 point line he would have set records.
You got me by up-teen years I’ll be 65 come September.

****y died at around 80 years old say 10 or so years ago.

Advertisement
Back