Anonymous Coaches Talk Miami

Did Pitt, GT, UVA or VT have more skill position numbers than us last year? We finished behind every one of them in the coastal.

Now, I 100% think Manny is going to do great things in Coral Gables and I could not be more excited about Enos and all the positive things seemingly surrounding the program right now. I think our success under Manny is going to happen as fast as this year. So I don't mean to come across as a Negative Nancy here. I am just so ******* done talking about "talent" every off season only to see us put an absolute sh-t show display of football on the field.

"You think talent is 82pts and a 1000 yds in two weeks? SON OF A *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

/rant

Just gave this response to another poster:

In losses to Virginia, Duke and GT our team literally did worse than nothing offensively. Not only did we barely score, we gifted each of those teams multiple scores via turnover to create our own doom.

Any type of game where our offense isn't a net negative and we win all three of those, with an ending more like the Pitt, Virginia Tech and UNC games.

We don't have to be world beaters offensively to run the table on this schedule, we just have to avoid complete and total ineptness, which I have little doubt we can do.

Advertisement
Only you could say taking Gerald Willis, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, and Jaquan Johnson off a defense that was national championship good would make it better the following year.

There is a 0.0% chance the defense will be better this year. None. Especially early in the season. Stick to Xbox...you'll never replace the leadership and intelligence of Jaquan Johnson on the back end, and no one on this roster is close to as good as Willis was last year in the middle. The defense will still be very good....Manny's scheme puts a ton of pressure on you using speed, and this defense will be fast as ****. But best we've had in a decade is super retarded.

I have to agree with you on this one, I think we still have the same talent (besides Willis) but the experience is on a different level. thank god the linebackers all stayed for their senior season.

I do still expect a very good defense tho

Just gave this response to another poster:

In losses to Virginia, Duke and GT our team literally did worse than nothing offensively. Not only did we barely score, we gifted each of those teams multiple scores via turnover to create our own doom.

Any type of game where our offense isn't a net negative and we win all three of those, with an ending more like the Pitt, Virginia Tech and UNC games.

We don't have to be world beaters offensively to run the table on this schedule, we just have to avoid complete and total ineptness, which I have little doubt we can do.
Well said, I fully agree with that. I was just playing devil's advocate and pointing out that our history over the last 15 years proves that how many stars you have on a roster doesn't necessarily translate to wins on the field.

But I'm with you, as long as we aren't downright incompetent again this year, we should make it to Charlotte with our eyes closed.

Well said, I fully agree with that. I was just playing devil's advocate and pointing out that our history over the last 15 years proves that how many stars you have on a roster doesn't necessarily translate to wins on the field.

But I'm with you, as long as we aren't downright incompetent again this year, we should make it to Charlotte with our eyes closed.

This is true. Just an average offense...actually a slightly below offense, and Miami goes 10-2 last year at worst.

We had 6 points with less than 4 minutes to go against UVA. 6 points in almost an entire football game. We lost that game while giving up 3.79 yards per play on defense. Do you guys understand that? Let me put it this way....Mississippi State led the country last year, giving up 4.13 yards per play.

3.79 yards per play for a season would have been the best number for any team since Alabama in 2011.

So we lost a game in which our defense played to a level that no team had sustained for a season in 8 years.

Brb, gonna go puke.

Advertisement
The funny thing is, I'd beat u in Xbox, and real life 1 on 1 basketball, football, soccer, any sport u could name.

Stick to message boards.

Yeah your 145lb highlights were sick bro. People were really impressed and it wasn't embarrassing for you at all to post that. Trust me, nobody thinks you have little man's syndrome and we all respect your opinion. You're doing great, honey.

Yeah your 145lb highlights were sick bro. People were really impressed and it wasn't embarrassing for you at all to post that. Trust me, nobody thinks you have little man's syndrome and we all respect your opinion. You're doing great, honey.
U can't even do sarcasm right.

I posted bc someone said I've never strapped up a day in my life.

The people who never had any highlights are the ones who feel some type of way about it. Men shouldn't be jealous, that's a females trait.

Advertisement
If you honestly beleive that the offense can't make the jump form absolute garbage to just plain bad, then yes, Miami can finish third in the coastal again. If you think it's physically impossible for the offense to be that bad again, then third in the coastal isn't even a remote possibility.

I think the author watched tape of the Spring Game and decided Tate was the best but that we are going to run a "pro-style look" whatever that is . . . I think our offense is acutally going to be wildly different come Fall . . .

Not going to bother defending the defense. Just show me another team in the coastal that has these kind of skill position numbers.

3 4-5 Star QBs
3 4-5 Star RBs
2 4-5 Star TEs
8 4-5 Star WRs

The talent level and depth we have offensively is so far superior to anyone we play it would be a disgrace to finish third or even second in this division.

This is all well and good, but games are won where we don’t have that depth or talent. The OL is a issue.

Advertisement
This is all well and good, but games are won where we don’t have that depth or talent. The OL is a issue.
Miami can potentially have a starting lineup of the following:
Lt scaife
LG Donaldson
C gaynor
Rg Reed
Rt Herbert
4 out of 5 of these guys were consensus 4 star caliber players and each played in the under armour all American game. They are going to surprise folks this year and it’s not nearly as big of an issue as people think it is. As much as the new system will help the skill guys and qbs it will also help the oline too

Miami can potentially have a starting lineup of the following:
Lt scaife
LG Donaldson
C gaynor
Rg Reed
Rt Herbert
4 out of 5 of these guys were consensus 4 star caliber players and each played in the under armour all American game. They are going to surprise folks this year and it’s not nearly as big of an issue as people think it is. As much as the new system will help the skill guys and qbs it will also help the oline too
I sure hope so... but I'll believe it when I see it.

Advertisement
Some posters on here act like 2017 never happened just because we had a $hitty year last year. We have won the Coastal now. That monkey is off our back. There are kids on this team who have been to the ACC title game and to a BCS bowl game. I don't want to hear BS talk about going 3rd in the coastal. This isn't the SEC West here folks.

You're that confident our safeties will fill in admirably for JJ & Redwine?

Im a bit hesitant. We'll be more athletic on the back end but their experience & communication was huge.
Redwine and JJ were smart players that made up for speed or fluidity with intelligence. I think the crop we have are exponentially more athletic and built, so that alone should cover up mistakes of experience by about 80%. Within Manny's defense plays are simpler so I don't see much of a drop. Plus we have a junior in Carter, a sophomore in Hall and a senior in Finley as he rotates to and from Striker. So its not like we are rolling out true freshmen with no experience within the system.

I subscribe to this post. Questions at OL, combined with a new scheme, make the upcoming season a question mark.

Can we win the coastal? Sure, it is an awful conference. Would I be shocked if we dropped a few and finished 3rd? Not at all.

Vegas win total is 8.5. I think if we get to 9, that should be good for at least 2nd in the coastal. I wouldn't be surprised to see UVA take a step back. Bryce Perkins is nice, but UVA had a preseason win total of (I think) 5 games last year - I know cause I had bet the under. VT simply underwhelms me. But both of them also play in the weak costal. It'll likely come down to tiebreakers.

Don't forget its year 1 of a new regime and a new offensive system. Yes, retaining the defensive staff helps. Yes, there appears to be more energy that hopefully translates to the field. But it is still Year 1 of a new regime.

To me, the season goes as the OL goes. I think our defense will take a step back but still be good enough to keep us in most games. The OL needs to establish a formidable run game. Hopefully, some of this comes from the OC, and we run more than 4 rushing plays. We certainly have the skill position players to do it. But to scoff at the article is short sided, IMO.

A close 2nd to the run game is special teams. We are relying on an Australian punter who got here this week to be the savior. When your punter shanks 20 yarders on a regular basis and puts the defense in awful positions, I don't care how good they are - that is demoralizing, and will lead to points given up.

Typical summer hoopla, jacking up our unproven (sometimes freshman) talent while downplaying that of our opponents. We had a chance to go undefeated in 2017, and Pitt pushed out **** in. Pitt. Remember that when setting your expectations for this season.

Advertisement
Back