Angelo Jean-Louis Commits to Marshall

Athletic scholarships --- college football is not minor league NFL...it's a place where kids go to (hopefully) earn a college degree and prepare themselves for life...some of them play football while they're at it, and continue playing football if they're good enough (most aren't). I maintain that the Canadian major junior hockey system, or at least something similar to what MLB does, needs to be done for talented football players who don't want to be "scholars". If AJL couldn't make it into Marshall right away, he sure as **** wasn't going to make it into Miami or any other legit school.

So much LULZ in this post

Advertisement
Okay, I am all for never fogetting our glorious pass, but do you think we can forget some of the dudes who NEVED attended THE U? Seriously, are we still talking about this guy? Most of our great players were reasonalby good student also. Check out our graduation rates under JJ. Even with so many 3 and gone greats, we still have fanastic numbers of degress awarded. THE U was not OU or FSU. If kid has some sort of learning DI, that is one thing, but if kid will not do the work he needs to, then he will not do the work he needs to. If kid is hanging it all out and still can't gets the grades, maybe we should give him chance and take him in. College scene might trigger something HS did not. THE U has tutors and help for kids, HS does not. But if kid just wants to slide then he will not be what our greats were.

Athletic scholarships --- college football is not minor league NFL...it's a place where kids go to (hopefully) earn a college degree and prepare themselves for life...some of them play football while they're at it, and continue playing football if they're good enough (most aren't). I maintain that the Canadian major junior hockey system, or at least something similar to what MLB does, needs to be done for talented football players who don't want to be "scholars". If AJL couldn't make it into Marshall right away, he sure as **** wasn't going to make it into Miami or any other legit school.

So much LULZ in this post

Yeah, what a hoot...who the heck does this guy think he is suggesting that student athletes should be students...sheesh.

Advertisement
He shouldn't need the grades, that's my point.

if he can't get into Marshall, never mind grades. The kid can probably barely read. You know that graduation rates are important and can cause a deduction in scholarship #s, right?

I guess colleges should just start allowing in athletes that don't even take high school classes then . I mean they're for football not school.

is nystateofmind actually Cardale Jones?

517.jpg

Advertisement

if he can't get into Marshall, never mind grades. The kid can probably barely read. You know that graduation rates are important and can cause a deduction in scholarship #s, right?

I guess colleges should just start allowing in athletes that don't even take high school classes then . I mean they're for football not school.

They more or less did that at FSU...who was that bigtime player at FSU who stopped attending school one year but still played in the bowl game? I think it was one of their biggest star players, but I don't want to start throwing out names because I might get it wrong. I want to think his name might have started with a "D" but now I'm not sure. Anybody remember?

Okay, I am all for never fogetting our glorious pass, but do you think we can forget some of the dudes who NEVED attended THE U? Seriously, are we still talking about this guy? Most of our great players were reasonalby good student also. Check out our graduation rates under JJ. Even with so many 3 and gone greats, we still have fanastic numbers of degress awarded. THE U was not OU or FSU. If kid has some sort of learning DI, that is one thing, but if kid will not do the work he needs to, then he will not do the work he needs to. If kid is hanging it all out and still can't gets the grades, maybe we should give him chance and take him in. College scene might trigger something HS did not. THE U has tutors and help for kids, HS does not. But if kid just wants to slide then he will not be what our greats were.

Don't be so sure. I used to know a guy--a bigtime Hurricane fan--who also was a math instructor. He had several players in his class in the early '80's, who never attended. So, he flunked them. Needless to say, after that, he never had any football players in his class anymore. On the other hand, I do know a lot of players later on were monitored to make sure they attended. The incident with the math instructor happened in the early '80's...so I think things toughened up through the '80's. By the late 80's, I saw players coming out of the OB lockerroom with stacks of books--I remember Rudy Barber and Damon Bethel in particular. These guys took their books with them to study while they were waiting in the locker room I guess.

They more or less did that at FSU...who was that bigtime player at FSU who stopped attending school one year but still played in the bowl game? I think it was one of their biggest star players, but I don't want to start throwing out names because I might get it wrong. I want to think his name might have started with a "D" but now I'm not sure. Anybody remember?

http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt-the-only-problem-here-an-fsu-teac-1467707410

Advertisement

I believe it started with a "D" and ended with an "eion"

Deion helped to create the first rule way back when he was in college at Florida State. In the 1989 Sugar Bowl Sanders made a game-saving interception to preserve the 'Noles' 13-7 victory over Auburn. Turns out Deion had picked off more passes in the Sugar Bowl than classes attended in the fall semester. He was still allowed to play in the bowl game despite not having taken any classes or exams. Once state officials heard of Sanders' lapses they rewrote the academic requirements, banning players at state universities in Florida from playing in bowl games if they did not successfully complete their fall semester.

Advertisement
Back