Anez Cooper on the last drive of regulation

Advertisement
there was on play where the DL was like 10 yards off the line and I was like, who the was that, it was your boy. Good looking dude there, hope he stays healthy and humble.

Advertisement
Outside o
This beyond frustrating we run it down their throats the last 6 minutes yet can't pick up the final 2 yards. This team basically has a stroke inside the 5 yard line every time.
Outside of Anez Cooper the other four are weak, lack power and intestinal fortitude. to put it bluntly they are sorry. I know the belief about freshmen, but Matthew McCoy should be getting reps at tackle to prepare him. If we get Samson and keep all the 23' OL Commits, we should also seek proven talent in the portal. Guys like Campbell, McLaughlin, Clark, Denis, Olewesun, Rodriquez, Seymour, Treore and Washington should all be encouraged to Portal. I know this is an extreme proposition but what are we losing? Kids who can't play and have proven it.

If he's not starting against FSU, I'm turning the **** TV off.

Advertisement
Would probably look like our line or most likely better, but it fast tracks them with reps against college DLines. Dude our OL sucks. We have to try something to get better. I'm at wits end. I'll contact every OL on Georgia and Alabama's OL that won't be get any reps or wants more playing time. Pro prospects on lesser teams and divisions. We have to scour the football earth to bring in talent and depth.

Outside o

Outside of Anez Cooper the other four are weak, lack power and intestinal fortitude. to put it bluntly they are sorry. I know the belief about freshmen, but Matthew McCoy should be getting reps at tackle to prepare him. If we get Samson and keep all the 23' OL Commits, we should also seek proven talent in the portal. Guys like Campbell, McLaughlin, Clark, Denis, Olewesun, Rodriquez, Seymour, Treore and Washington should all be encouraged to Portal. I know this is an extreme proposition but what are we losing? Kids who can't play and have proven it.
Rivers and Clark have been solid albeit unspectacular. McLaughlin & Rodriguez have been hurt so we really don't know what they can do in a game. Denis, Seymour, and Olawusen looked awful no doubt. McCoy is apparently hurt too but early reports on him were encouraging. Landing Samson and adding a couple good guys from the portal should make a big difference next year.

Advertisement
This year is bad but when I see a guy like Cooper quickly become the 3rd best lineman next to Clark and Rivers reassures me that Mario knows how to bring talent in at that spot
I thought Campbell and Rivers had really good games. We have 4 solid moving forward.

Interested to see what Nelson does in the off season. We could have a really good offensive line next year with the Freshman coming in likely jumping into the 2nd team.

For reference, what examples do we have of successful true-freshman OLs at D1P5 level??
What do you mean by successful? Ones that are pretty good right away or ones that develop to be those Day 1, Day 2 type of picks?

There is a mix of those every year. Just check out any true freshman team annually.

Some true freshmen teams (from 247, I don't want to look at a ton of them) of recent vintage

2021 - Joe Alt
2020 - Peter Skoronski
2019 - Evan Neal
2018 - Christian Darrisaw, Penei Sewell, Cade Mays
2017 - Andrew Thomas, Trey Smith, Rashawn Slater, Mekhi Becton
2016 - Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor
2015 - Mitch Hyatt, Connor Williams

There are more varying levels of good beneath these guys. Its obvious hard to be a true freshman coming in to play OL, but its not too rare to at least be a contributor. As you can also see, many of those immediate contributors also become NFL pros or at minimum long time tackles for big programs (like Mitch Hyatt).

What do you mean by successful? Ones that are pretty good right away or ones that develop to be those Day 1, Day 2 type of picks?

There is a mix of those every year. Just check out any true freshman team annually.

Some true freshmen teams (from 247, I don't want to look at a ton of them) of recent vintage

2021 - Joe Alt
2020 - Peter Skoronski
2019 - Evan Neal
2018 - Christian Darrisaw, Penei Sewell, Cade Mays
2017 - Andrew Thomas, Trey Smith, Rashawn Slater, Mekhi Becton
2016 - Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor
2015 - Mitch Hyatt, Connor Williams

There are more varying levels of good beneath these guys. Its obvious hard to be a true freshman coming in to play OL, but its not too rare to at least be a contributor. As you can also see, many of those immediate contributors also become NFL pros or at minimum long time tackles for big programs (like Mitch Hyatt).
Successful = legitimate solid play contributors

For reference, Zion Nelson in no way met this definition his freshman year

I appreciate you reinforcing my point with the list. It's very small compared to total number incoming freshman OL each year. While Miami's 2023 class might/should have some OL athletes not seen on Greentree in ages, we should probaby cool our jets on their value-added contributions from Day 1. I'd argue it's even unfair to expect them to do so.

Big Manny keeps stacking OL classes for 23-24-25...now we should expect to see a solid foundation for an offense...

Advertisement
Successful = legitimate solid play contributors

For reference, Zion Nelson in no way met this definition his freshman year

I appreciate you reinforcing my point with the list. It's very small compared to total number incoming freshman OL each year. While Miami's 2023 class might/should have some OL athletes not seen on Greentree in ages, we should probaby cool our jets on their value-added contributions from Day 1. I'd argue it's even unfair to expect them to do so.

I just picked out some key names that many would recognize. You could go down the list and find more that have been more than solid contributors throughout their career. There are more...just didn't want to spend time on an expansive list with qualifications.

But your point is valid and I don't think many would argue otherwise. OL is a position you really need to be mature physically. You're 18 years old playing against 22, 23 years olds at times. Many OL around the country in HS are not developed very well as many are successful because they are just bigger than everyone else. Takes good feet, hands, balance, technique to be a good OL and many freshmen are not there.

Zion absolutely would not meet that definition. He was as bad a lineman as I've ever seen at any age play as regularly as he did. To be fair, he was a 2-star player. I think the fanbase thinks more highly of Zion than I do...mostly because they saw Zion Nelson on some jabrones NOT TOO EARLY FUTURE MOCK DRAFT that likely has a 10% hit rate.

We've had some very bad OL recruiting over the years, especially of late. I think next year, some of these freshmen will have to be ready. Hopefully not all of them, but at least one or two will be getting a lot of reps. Hopefully they end up on those All-Freshman Team lists.

I'll also agree, its unfair to expect much from freshman OL.

Advertisement
Back