Analyzing the backup QB battle

View as article
Pretty much in agreement with most on here regarding EW and Jacurri's future at Miami. I don't expect either to play the rest of their careers at the University of Miami unless it's mop up time or we're severely injured.

Ideally, we go Cam 2024, Poff 2025, Nickel vs. Judd (or Nickel vs. portal) 2026 imo.

Advertisement
All these blow jobs for Jacurri is weird… dude sucks. Couldn’t start for any team in the ACC. Might not start at Albany.
have you actually looked at the projected starters in the ACC this year
Peyton Manning What GIF by Gatorade

Advertisement
Coaches having favorites isn’t a new thing. They clearly love Emory and what he brings from an intangible standpoint. If you’d played at the D1 level in any sport, you will understand coaches and them having favorites. Emory seems like a great kid and has some leadership qualities but Mario has been hyping him since last year and he’s one of the most mid talent wise QB’s at the P4 level.
Facts and Emory was recruited by them also. He is their guy.. anyone who been around the sport knows how it goes, there is always that human element and no coach is above that..

Also will add fans have favorites too.. some players can put up similar stats or have same **** ups and they will get a pass while others dont. Seen our fans turn on productive players while coddling scrubs also.. We all got our biases for whatever reason

Last edited:
RCT anti Brown contingent: “JB sucks. He should never play quarterback at this level.”

JB transfers, goes to a coach that knows what he is doing, kid kills it.

RCT pro Brown contingent: “I told yall Brown could ball under the right coach.”

RCT anti Brown contingent: “**** Brown, he is not a Cane anyway. Emory is a real quarterback.

Emory wins the job in 2026, show’s toughness, dives all over the place, waves arms in the air, throws 35% completion rate.

RCT anti Brown contingent: “I know Emory doesn’t have the stats to prove it but kid is a winner.

RCT pro brown contingent: “**** Emory, should have never let Brown go, should have fired the OC *** and hired the guy who kickin *** with him.

Advertisement
I don't think either one of them (JB & Em) are starting caliber QB's, that can be expected to lead this team to an ACC title or playoffs next year for 2025.

Ward & Poff are head & shoulders above the rest in terms of arm talent, skill & overall ability.

Jacurri simply doesn't have the accuracy & consistency needed to be trusted. He's a G5 QB & needs to be in places like Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Jax ST, ULL etc in order to really showcase his ability. Funny enough, he'd probably be really good at Toledo in Candle's Offense.

Emory's mechanics debilitate his velocity on the ball. And the continuous caveat about his accuracy when his feet are set is interesting. However, how often is he gonna have his feet set against pressure? When you're playing against a real opponent & not just practice against your own teams, it's not going to be a controlled environment where the Defense gives you the benefit of the doubt. DC's will see on film that his accuracy fluctuates when his feet aren't set & will make sure to send pressures from multiple angles with sole purpose of not allowing him to get his feet set & disrupt his rhythm. That's why it's so key for today's modern QB to be able to make multi-platform throws even off-balance, because Defenses aren't just going to sit back & wait until you get comfortable before they decided to collapse the pocket.

If you look at the QB's who are thriving in this era, it's mostly guys with exceptional arm talent who can make throws on the run with a quick trigger release.

For next season, Poff is likely the starter. While continuing to monitor the Portal in case any big time talent decides to jump in. But neither JB nor Emory are guys you bet the house on.
Hopefully Poff sticks around. I also found it interesting that suddenly Emory and POff were being talked about as "neck and neck".

My take was the staff was talking up Emory to keep him happy and on the roster...

Last edited:
Coaches having favorites isn’t a new thing. They clearly love Emory and what he brings from an intangible standpoint. If you’d played at the D1 level in any sport, you will understand coaches and them having favorites. Emory seems like a great kid and has some leadership qualities but Mario has been hyping him since last year and he’s one of the most mid talent wise QB’s at the P4 level.
He stepped up and gave everything - body included. Mario would love that.

"I've said in the past, and I believe to be the case, that Reese Poffenbarger entered the competition in pole position."

I like the cut of your jib!

Lets Go Football GIF by Pittsburgh Steelers

Williams, Brown. Brown, Williams.

Who cares.

Convince Poffenwhatever to stay and neither of them will play here. Brown has stunk in games. Williams has stunk in games.

Hold on to Nickel, let Poffenpuffin and him compete in 25.

People argue over the dumbest ****. Who is the better 3rd string QB? Who gives a ****.

Advertisement
Nobody wanted Brown to be good more than me.

Sadly, he’s not good enough and if you’re not clearly better than Emory Williams or an FCS kid in year 3, you’re not leading a championship team in year 4.

I’m shocked he’s still here, to be frank. But he’s never going to be the dude here, for his sake he should bounce and I fully expect bim to in a couple weeks.

The love a lot of fans had for Jake Garcia is a good example.
You mean, Jake, IQ of Peyton Manning, arm strength of Dan Marino, accuracy of Tom Brady, playmaking ability of Patrick Mahomes, wheels of Lamar Jackson, coolness and calmness of Joe Montana, moxie of Brett Favre, women slaying of Joe Namath, Garcia. That Jake Garcia?

Advertisement
Tell me you went to a public school without telling me you went to a public school. Nobody is spinning. And learn something about football. Stop the agenda and let it play out. You and the rest of the hoi polloi are so desperate to validate some odd nescience. It’s boring. Do I know if Emory wins the job? No, I don’t. He’s got a ways to go and it’s early. He has things to work on, for sure. But I will trust my own eyes and experience in evaluating where he is TODAY, over a bunch of chavs who really add nothing to anyone’s experience. That being said, if I had to bet, I would very much expect Poff to be no 2 and emory

Am I the only one who read Mario's comments that he's subtly suggesting that Jacurri Brown should hit the

Tell me you went to a public school without telling me you went to a public school. Nobody is spinning. And learn something about football. Stop the agenda and let it play out. You and the rest of the hoi polloi are so desperate to validate some odd nescience. It’s boring. Do I know if Emory wins the job? No, I don’t. He’s got a ways to go and it’s early. He has things to work on, for sure. But I will trust my own eyes and experience in evaluating where he is TODAY, over a bunch of chavs who really add nothing to anyone’s experience. That being said, if I had to bet, I would very much expect Poff to be no 2 and emory to redshirt.
Tell me you’re a pompous lawyer without telling me. I went to a private school called University of Miami ever hear of it.

Nobody wanted Brown to be good more than me.

Sadly, he’s not good enough and if you’re not clearly better than Emory Williams or an FCS kid in year 3, you’re not leading a championship team in year 4.

I’m shocked he’s still here, to be frank. But he’s never going to be the dude here, for his sake he should bounce and I fully expect bim to in a couple weeks.
if he's still having accuracy issues at this juncture, he's never going to overcome them. i like him as a person and love what he can add to the offense, but he cannot carry this team. he can't make THAT 3 year accurate throw to convert on third down.

Advertisement
Back