An offensive minded coach

We've watched a bad defense for close to a decade. That's the reason we are bad.

I want a great defense.

So an offensive coach can't bring in a good DC?

Why can't a defensive coach bring in a good OC?

Defense is still the most important thing. Alabama and LSU didn't win the championship with an air-raid. Good defense is a must.

Bad defense has been the plague of this program under Golden. It affects everything we do.

Advertisement
Actually ,it's easier to win with elite o and ok d then vice versa.

When it comes down to it, the results disagree with you. Like I said, still waiting on the high powered offenses to finish it off and lift a crystal trophy.

Name a team with an elite D and average O to win big. I'll wait

"Win big"?? WTF does that mean?

I'm waiting for you to show me the all-offense teams that have won titles. Oregon: put up 60 points per game, sht the bed once per year. Every. Single. Year.

Offense takes a week off at some point. Defense doesn't.

Actually ,it's easier to win with elite o and ok d then vice versa.

When it comes down to it, the results disagree with you. Like I said, still waiting on the high powered offenses to finish it off and lift a crystal trophy.

Name a team with an elite D and average O to win big. I'll wait

"Win big"?? WTF does that mean?

I'm waiting for you to show me the all-offense teams that have won titles. Oregon: put up 60 points per game, sht the bed once per year. Every. Single. Year.

Offense takes a week off at some point. Defense doesn't.

Nobody plays elite D anymore . That's the point.

Look at UF, they're small and quick so they can defense spread offenses good but are getting smashed by lsu's power run.

There's too many styles offenses to defend to depend on just defense . Points have to be scored, lots of them. Go look at lasts years college playoffs and last two national title games. You can't sit back and depend on just defense anynore.

They both have to travel. Some of y'all need to join 2015

Look at UF, they're small and quick so they can defense spread offenses good but are getting smashed by lsu's power run.

There's too many styles offenses to defend to depend on just defense . Points have to be scored, lots of them. Go look at lasts years college playoffs and last two national title games. You can't sit back and depend on just defense anynore.

People DO play elite defense. It's all relative to the era. Scoring is up, yes, but the teams that ultimately win are the teams that stop your precious offense-only systems. Ohio State plays defense. Florida State plays defense. Alabama plays defense. By the way, those teams are the last four national champions.

Meanwhile, out in Oregon, their offense-only system resulted in a lot of January disappointment. Now they don't play offense OR defense. Baylor met their match against West Virginia. Eliminated. Mike Leach managed to lose multiple games every year while throwing for 500 yards per game.

Programs that ignore defense don't win titles.

We've watched a bad defense for close to a decade. That's the reason we are bad.

I want a great defense.

Defense is still the most important thing. Alabama and LSU didn't win the championship with an air-raid. Good defense is a must.

Bad defense has been the plague of this program under Golden. It affects everything we do.

Lsu has had great D's the last five years but have had god awful offenses . And that's why Les was on the hotseat entering this year. He refused to change his conservative ways. They lose 3-4 games a year now with elite talent . Just because he can't get with the times.

He's finally let Cam open it up since it means his ***

Advertisement

I want a great defense.

Lsu has had great D's the last five years but have had god awful offenses . And that's why Les was on the hotseat entering this year. He refused to change his conservative ways. They lose 3-4 games a year now with elite talent . Just because he can't get with the times.

He's finally let Cam open it up since it means his ***

Where did you see anyone say that defense by itself is what we need?

People DO play elite defense. It's all relative to the era. Scoring is up, yes, but the teams that ultimately win are the teams that stop your precious offense-only systems. Ohio State plays defense. Florida State plays defense. Alabama plays defense. By the way, those teams are the last four national champions.

Meanwhile, out in Oregon, their offense-only system resulted in a lot of January disappointment. Now they don't play offense OR defense. Baylor met their match against West Virginia. Eliminated. Mike Leach managed to lose multiple games every year while throwing for 500 yards per game.

Programs that ignore defense don't win titles.

I love how everyone uses Oregon as their example for offensive teams . As they win 12 games a year in a tough conference with 3 stars kids.

Like that program has been a failure since they've lost a couple national title games and have no ring. But stay in top five majority of the time.

I mean staying in the top five is awful

Last edited:
Check the offensive stats for Miami for the past decade. THAT is the reason the team has been terrible.

Many times, defensive stats are reflective of the offense. It's always much easier for a defense to play with a lead ...

My point is you need both to be good to win but it's easier to win with a great offense and sub par d than vice versa. It's an offensive game now.

I said I preferred offensive hc's. Because I know it's hard to keep learning systems everytime your oc leaves. It retards qb's growth . Lots of timing and familiarity to offense. That's just my preference.

Then I get jumped by the defense people like I said defense don't matter .

Typical message board folks that can't read .

Advertisement
Offensive coaches make the games fun to watch, but I'm still waiting for Oregon, Baylor or TCU to finish off a season.

how about urban meyer or Jimbo fisher?

TCU has a defensive head coach btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

I want a great defense.

Yep - good defense trumps all. We'll have a good enough offense with a decent coordinator.

Look at those air raid offenses - yes exciting but they don't play good defense. If we had a good aggressive defense with our current offense, we're a top 5 team. But if we had a good aggressive offense with an average defense, it's not as good. Jmo

Id take Herman and Fuentes right now but we all know AG gonna be here next year. That VT win helped his cause.

Advertisement
Yup we need a offensive guy

I'm for offensive coaches. That way you keep your play book and system no matter how many coaches/ coordinators leave. Lots of timing and reps needed in an offensive system.

If you're successful you'll keep losing oc's and that will regard a qb, learning different systems. I've seen plenty of qb's that were screwed by 2-3 coordinators in their careers.

Exactly, couldnt agree more, the only guy i would consider that isnt a offensive guy is fuente

I want a great defense.

Yep - good defense trumps all. We'll have a good enough offense with a decent coordinator.

Look at those air raid offenses - yes exciting but they don't play good defense. If we had a good aggressive defense with our current offense, we're a top 5 team. But if we had a good aggressive offense with an average defense, it's not as good. Jmo

Wouldn't be top 15 with our redzone and third down efficiency imo. Our running game has been abysmal against the two good defenses we played as well

Last edited by a moderator:
We tried defensive coaches and it didnt work out, look at all the teams in the top, majority of them are offensive minded coaches, offense wins now a days, gimme a guy with a aggressive offense, and a aggressive offense, imagine a staff like baylor here, we have way better athletes on defense, these team would be unstoppable, we need offense especially with most of the teams with spread concepts that we play

Advertisement
The offense hasn't been great (redzone, 3rd down, etc.) by any means.

But when we have given up historically bad yardage and points under Golden, it really is hard to suggest with a straight face that offense is our issue.

FSU put up how many yards on us last week? And all we heard was how terrible FSU's offense is. Other ACC teams STILL move the ball easily on us. Had VT had a clue and put in that other QB earlier last night, we lose that game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back