Alonzo Highsmith's qualifications

• He knows what "the standard"really is and lived it.
  • He knows football, well.
  • He knows the history of the []__[] and the inherent challenges with the program
  • He knows all the coaches and programs in the country as a professional-level scout for the last 13+ years.
  • He knows what NFL coaches and scouts are looking for.
  • He knows which college programs develop and prepare players well for the league and which ones don't. He also knows how they do it, who can coach and who can't.
He would be a tremendous asset to any program.

all of this was already covered in the OP by "he worked in NFL front offices" and "he played at miami"

there is a difference between "he would be a tremendous asset to any program" (aka a chief of staff role or something similar that reports to the HC) and "make him the GM of the football program, a structure that has never been attempted before in the history of college football"

Advertisement
i'm curious if the ppl who want blake james to die because he's not turning the keys over to alonzo highsmith can list his qualifications for the job.

so far i've got

1. worked in NFL front offices
2. played at miami
3. said that swag isn't a haircut it's running up the hill at tropical park

can anyone point to draft picks or personnel acquisitions he was known to have been associated with? most of his career has been conducted in private. we know he talked to josh rosen's girlfriend in the airport and decided not to draft him. anyone have links to anything else? what did the guy do during his career as an executive? what makes him the savior?
And the reward for biggest ******* idiot so far of 2020 goes to you. Congrats.

nothing! i have no interest in defending blake james. i'm just trying to understand why people are so obesssed with alonzo highsmith that they want to create an unprecedented athletic department based around him.

It's just hope, hope for a turn around.

I'm sure he would bring something to the table, but what or how much is anyone's guess.

His experience in college, besides as a player long ago, is zero. Strange, most can't stand the idea of coaches having zero experience, but if it's a past Cane that goes out the window.

It's just hope, hope for a turn around.

I'm sure he would bring something to the table, but what or how much is anyone's guess.

His experience in college, besides as a player long ago, is zero. Strange, most can't stand the idea of coaches having zero experience, but if it's a past Cane that goes out the window.
Agreed. His experience was in player personnel. Will he be leading recruiting for the Canes?

As far as administrative skills (i.e. heading a coaching search), he has no experience seen on his resume. At the end of the day, it is up to Manny and his coaching staff to turn things around in 2020. I have no idea what Highsmith could do in a few months to help Manny. Hiring Highsmith will make the firings next year even more difficult.

Frankly, Manny needs to wear the big boy pants and get this turned around. If not, he will be canned next year and so should Blake as he was the guy who made the terrible hire in the first place.

If I had my choice, James would have been fired as soon as the regular season was over and a qualified, experienced AD brought in. Manny would have no doubt that he has one season to get to 10 wins or he is out.

Advertisement
i'm curious if the ppl who want blake james to die because he's not turning the keys over to alonzo highsmith can list his qualifications for the job.

so far i've got

2. played at miami

can anyone point to draft picks or personnel acquisitions he was known to have been associated with? most of his career has been conducted in private. we know he talked to josh rosen's girlfriend in the airport and decided not to draft him. anyone have links to anything else? what did the guy do during his career as an executive? what makes him the savior?

I get your pessimism. Do you have a better option who would take over the program?

so far i've got

2. played at miami

You've lost all credibility. You should pick a new handle.

Alonzo's qualifications are his experience in an NFL front office. Simply put Alonzo has a deep understanding of the business of football and how to run an organization. Obviously, adaptations need to be made for the college game but Alonzo would understand that. As far as player evals go, I would rather see Alonzo hire and run a team of evaluators opposed to doing it himself. Alonzo's experience at the University of Miami is that relevant. He is good enough to walk into any football office and make the right changes.

Advertisement
Why not just hire Bo Jackson?

He knows what "the standard"really is and lived it.
  • He knows football, well.
  • He knows the history of the []__[] and the inherent challenges with the program
  • He knows all the coaches and programs in the country as a professional-level scout for the last 13+ years.
  • He knows what NFL coaches and scouts are looking for.
  • He knows which college programs develop and prepare players well for the league and which ones don't. He also knows how they do it, who can

I'm neutral on AH, as I don't know much about his experience. But somebody tell me what experience he has being manager of people and projects.

Guy has built a career and is on track to be a NFL GM but he's not qualified to run Miami's football program. Wtf has Blake James or any of the last 3-4 puppets who have had the position done?

Advertisement
nothing! i have no interest in defending blake james. i'm just trying to understand why people are so obesssed with alonzo highsmith that they want to create an unprecedented athletic department based around him.
Haven't been a Cane fan that long huh?

I get your pessimism. Do you have a better option who would take over the program?

i think there are plenty of coaches who could take over the program and do a better job than manny. what i'm against is the creation of a "GM" role that somehow mirrors how an NFL front office operates. that's not how college football works. if you have a good coach, he is the GM. you can go down the list of top 10-15 programs in college football, none of those coaches would require or accept a GM in the role this board wants highsmith to be given. we need to find a good athletic director and a good coach. just like every other school.

so far i've got

2. played at miami

How exactly are you qualified to question him?

Advertisement

so far i've got

2. played at miami

Zo’s expertise as an evaluator if talent alone makes his hire worthwhile. If he can find just a couple of undervalued guys each cycle, and steer UM away from all these 4-5* guys who don’t do anything, he’s worth it.

i think there are plenty of coaches who could take over the program and do a better job than manny. what i'm against is the creation of a "GM" role that somehow mirrors how an NFL front office operates. that's not how college football works. if you have a good coach, he is the GM. you can go down the list of top 10-15 programs in college football, none of those coaches would require or accept a GM in the role this board wants highsmith to be given. we need to find a good athletic director and a good coach. just like every other school.
Perhaps you're not aware, College football is the second most revenue generating team sport behind the NFL. It's big business and has become an Arms race for several years now. For the schools that focus on football, it's their Bell Cow revenue maker over anything else.

The Canes have a bad HC and even worse AD who's claim to fame was increasing ticket sales at Maine. It's all you need to know. Zo brings instant credibility to the kids in the locker room. He won't tolerate the B.S. that's been taking place for years now such as:
* Guys quitting and then returning
* senior players skipping out on bowl games
* junior players declaring for the draft which most don't get drafted or are some late 6th or 7th rd pick
* country club membership for some of the players will be terminated

It's put up or shut up time for the University of Miami

Don't get me wrong love Zo and memories of him here.but I agree what makes everyone here think he's the answer.Shannon was an explayer had did that turn out.Don't get me wrong if Zo can get it by all means get him.but some here need to realize you don't do business with your heart nor do you mix business with friends.

Advertisement
Back