Alonzo HighSmith Joining Staff [Old thread, Rad says “not imminent”]

Harvard is one of the most overrated places on planet earth. The challenge is getting in, once you are in it's no better nor worse than peer institutions. Plenty of mediocre grade grubbers manage to get accepted to that place and I've worked with some.

Frankly, the getting in is less about being intelligent than it is about having a way to stand out. Whether it is having famous/ wealthy parents(Being famous yourself) being a legacy or in some select cases, having a compelling background story, the key is to get in. Once you are in, the coursework isn't significantly different than what you'd get at UMiami or any other private liberal arts school.

As a Yale alum, I'm trained to hate Harvard, so I'm not biased :)

All that said, Harvard is an outstanding institution. It deserves 100% of its accolades, although I will note: the undergraduate "experience" is not as great as the graduate school experience. A general rule, but it's mostly accepted to be true.

Advertisement
My cousin, who recently graduated from Yale (was valedictorian at that ****** school of Belen) agrees with you. The previous poster is reaching in discrediting the education Harvard provides. Not to mention, the ridiculous access to important contacts it provides for life after school. It's different.

I say that knowing they offered a free ride to a previous employee of mine who I mentored during her high school days. She is incredibly gifted and was ahead many peers who were older than her. She has shared how difficult the first 2 semesters have been.

Their campus is beautiful, too.

My cousin, who recently graduated from Yale (was valedictorian at that ****** school of Belen) agrees with you. The previous poster is reaching in discrediting the education Harvard provides. Not to mention, the ridiculous access to important contacts it provides for life after school. It's different.

I say that knowing they offered a free ride to a previous employee of mine who I mentored during her high school days. She is incredibly gifted and was ahead many peers who were older than her. She has shared how difficult the first 2 semesters have been.

Their campus is beautiful, too.
Gifted with her brain?

bringing this back up because of some recent Twitter chatter. In February, the OP cites Manny Navarro to suggest that Highsmith was joining the staff. Well, that didn't happen. Maybe it will after the draft.

Advertisement
bringing this back up because of some recent Twitter chatter. In February, the OP cites Manny Navarro to suggest that Highsmith was joining the staff. Well, that didn't happen. Maybe it will after the draft.

Rad talking about facilities upgrades, alonzo rumors, contract extensions, potential staff additions, attendance at men's and women's basketball, baseball seating for hosting regionals or super regionals, etc

Rad addresses Zo in this presser from today.

Advertisement
i read that, and he said it was not imminent IIRC which means it can happen in a month

Yeah, Rad kinda gave one of those politician type answers. Once he said he couldn’t “prognosticate” the future, I was like that’s a very unnecessary word under the circumstances. Lol. I think he was playing it both coy & safe. Nothing imminent, could mean nothing today, but could happen in a week or nothing today & we don’t foresee it happening. Leaves a lot of wiggle room. Hoping it happens; it’ll be a great training opp for Zo, & it refortifies our AD today & the future.

Yeah, Rad kinda gave one of those politician type answers. Once he said he couldn’t “prognosticate” the future, I was like that’s a very unnecessary word under the circumstances. Lol. I think he was playing it both coy & safe. Nothing imminent, could mean nothing today, but could happen in a week or nothing today & we don’t foresee it happening. Leaves a lot of wiggle room. Hoping it happens; it’ll be a great training opp for Zo, & it refortifies our AD today & the future.

Without having heard/read the exact quotation, has anybody actually transcribed what he said. It might be easier to decipher his intent by both reading and listening to it. I’m just not much in the mood to listen to the whole interview

Harvard is one of the most overrated places on planet earth. The challenge is getting in, once you are in it's no better nor worse than peer institutions. Plenty of mediocre grade grubbers manage to get accepted to that place and I've worked with some.

Frankly, the getting in is less about being intelligent than it is about having a way to stand out. Whether it is having famous/ wealthy parents(Being famous yourself) being a legacy or in some select cases, having a compelling background story, the key is to get in. Once you are in, the coursework isn't significantly different than what you'd get at UMiami or any other private liberal arts school.
Sorry Canedude but you are incorrect on this one.
Getting in was extremely challenging, and my parents are not wealthy by any means. As for getting in means you can essentially coast is nonsense.
I worked my *** off every semester and I have too many "studying all nighters" that I care to remember.
I know many like to think there is a "stereotypical preppy, snobby, entitled" person who goes there, and yes there are some, but there were a lot of students just like myself who came from working middle class families and had to work hard to get in and stay in.

Advertisement

This is sadly correct as the universities priorities have shifted dramatically...

Having strong, competent leadership at HC and AD makes a world of difference. These folks aren't scared of possibly having someone like Highsmith around. Rather the opposite. They want to surround themselves w/ top minds working toward the common goal of making our program a factor again on the biggest stage. Can't express enough how amazing this feels to me.

Without having heard/read the exact quotation, has anybody actually transcribed what he said. It might be easier to decipher his intent by both reading and listening to it. I’m just not much in the mood to listen to the whole interview

I couldn’t read it; I just heard the entire interview, but he answered w/o answering. He left an opening for either or.

Advertisement

You don't want to see Susan Miller Degnan zooming in from her kid's bedroom?

What's wrong with you?

Sorry Canedude but you are incorrect on this one.
Getting in was extremely challenging, and my parents are not wealthy by any means. As for getting in means you can essentially coast is nonsense.
I worked my *** off every semester and I have too many "studying all nighters" that I care to remember.
I know many like to think there is a "stereotypical preppy, snobby, entitled" person who goes there, and yes there are some, but there were a lot of students just like myself who came from working middle class families and had to work hard to get in and stay in.
I didn’t go to Harvard and I pulled all nighters, too.

The connections and the prestige is 90% of what you’re paying for. A good student can accomplish whatever they want at dozens of other schools.

Advertisement
Back