Alonzo HighSmith Joining Staff [Old thread, Rad says “not imminent”]

Advertisement
I didn’t go to Harvard and I pulled all nighters, too.

The connections and the prestige is 90% of what you’re paying for. A good student can accomplish whatever they want at dozens of other schools.
I would never dispute that, and often try to encourage anyone attending school that you can accomplish what you want if you put the effort in.
However, I can assure you that despite what others who have a built in stereotype of the average Harvard student ( and I can assure you, I do not fit any preconceived ideas what most may have, the stereotypical typecasts are usually just that.

This is sadly correct as the universities priorities have shifted dramatically...
Actually Harvard hasn't changed. They've always been a glorified finishing school for the wealthy, where they can rub elbows with people from similar backgrounds. Yes, you've had some great kids come through Harvard, but for the most part, it's an old money club, with some infusions of new blood to keep the enterprise alive over the years.

Actually Harvard hasn't changed. They've always been a glorified finishing school for the wealthy, where they can rub elbows with people from similar backgrounds. Yes, you've had some great kids come through Harvard, but for the most part, it's an old money club, with some infusions of new blood to keep the enterprise alive over the years.

No lies here; and from an academic standpoint, 1000’s of kids who’ve been accepted didn’t even qualify off grades, they qualified b/c of who their family are & how deep their pockets or status go.

Advertisement
No lies here; and from an academic standpoint, 1000’s of kids who’ve been accepted didn’t even qualify off grades, they qualified b/c of who their family are & how deep their pockets or status go.
Harvard has insanely high entrance standards to keep out the wrong sort of students, and those standards only apply to applicants whose parents aren't clearly the right kind of people. So I guess we all know who the wrong kind of students are.

Total and complete BS. Uninformed. Out of date. Ignorant.

Advertisement
Harvard has insanely high entrance standards to keep out the wrong sort of students, and those standards only apply to applicants whose parents aren't clearly the right kind of people. So I guess we all know who the wrong kind of students are.

I know this first hand my guy. Our former CEO was a former Harvard Student, not even a grad. Long story short, b4 the whole pay to get in scandal came out, we were at an end of the yr dinner & dude has his share of liquor bragging about how much he paid for the event (which was a comp/reimbursement to his corporate account), & he said in front of myself & other mgrs/leaders, “it’s still a better bargain than I paid for my boy to get into Harvard.” (Paraphrasing).

I assumed he meant tuition, but stories started to come out about parents paying for their unqualified brats to get into these prestige schools on bogus schollies. It’s annoying af.

I know this first hand my guy. Our former CEO was a former Harvard Student, not even a grad. Long story short, b4 the whole pay to get in scandal came out, we were at an end of the yr dinner & dude has his share of liquor bragging about how much he paid for the event (which was a comp/reimbursement to his corporate account), & he said in front of myself & other mgrs/leaders, “it’s still a better bargain than I paid for my boy to get into Harvard.” (Paraphrasing).

I assumed he meant tuition, but stories started to come out about parents paying for their unqualified brats to get into these prestige schools on bogus schollies. It’s annoying af.
They don't pay directly. It's all in the name of 'donation'. Buy a building, etc. But that also depends on the University. Harvard is notorious for this. Others not so much.

I would never dispute that, and often try to encourage anyone attending school that you can accomplish what you want if you put the effort in.
However, I can assure you that despite what others who have a built in stereotype of the average Harvard student ( and I can assure you, I do not fit any preconceived ideas what most may have, the stereotypical typecasts are usually just that.
You are probably still young. Word of advice, never mention you are a Harvard grad, except on your job application. Nothing good will ever come of it.

Advertisement
Total and complete BS. Uninformed. Out of date. Ignorant.
How so? Harvard is one of the few schools in existence that could easily build classes of the best and brightest without any outside considerations, and they don't. For every kid they accept that will go on to change the world with their intellect, there are 2-3 Jared Kushners out there that are only there because daddy could cut a check. Harvard could easily say that legacy and development admits have no place in their process, that they want the best and kids getting a leg up based on an accident of birth isn't acceptable, but they don't. Then again, there's a reason why the same people that have a problem with affirmative action never say anything about legacy admissions at schools like Harvard that truly could do without them.

Harvard has an endowment of 53.2 billion. They don't nearly have the fundraising pressures of a school like Miami, whose endowment is 2% of that(And no, I'm not exaggerating). Harvard doesn't need to kowtow to alumni as much as a school like Miami, but they do anyway. Why? Because underneath the glitz, underneath the outstanding marketing, outside the high minded talk, Harvard is providing a product, a product that isn't all that different than what you'd get at UMiami, at the University of Florida, or thousands of other schools. The major difference is that the kid that sat next to me in English 101 at Miami was the child of a plastic surgeon, while at Harvard that kid may be a Kennedy. We need to stop bootlicking the institutions of the wealthy and ask why so many are afraid to admit the obvious.

They don't pay directly. It's all in the name of 'donation'. Buy a building, etc. But that also depends on the University. Harvard is notorious for this. Others not so much.
It's called a Development Admit. It was even mentioned by Singer when he was pitching his scheme to parents. There are three ways to get into these high end schools: The front door(IE MERIT), the backdoor(Development Admits, writing a huge check) and the side door, aka way he was doing which was basically faking your way in by committing fraud.

Advertisement
Worst thread derailment ever.

1650540356597.png

You are probably still young. Word of advice, never mention you are a Harvard grad, except on your job application. Nothing good will ever come of it.
Not young, but mentioning that I was a Harvard grad helped open many doors for me.
With that said, there are not many individuals I have met that are not proud of the school they graduated from, and many on here are particularly proud of being a UM grad ( as they should be, I don't see why I should not be afforded the same courtesy.

How so? Harvard is one of the few schools in existence that could easily build classes of the best and brightest without any outside considerations, and they don't. For every kid they accept that will go on to change the world with their intellect, there are 2-3 Jared Kushners out there that are only there because daddy could cut a check. Harvard could easily say that legacy and development admits have no place in their process, that they want the best and kids getting a leg up based on an accident of birth isn't acceptable, but they don't. Then again, there's a reason why the same people that have a problem with affirmative action never say anything about legacy admissions at schools like Harvard that truly could do without them.

Harvard has an endowment of 53.2 billion. They don't nearly have the fundraising pressures of a school like Miami, whose endowment is 2% of that(And no, I'm not exaggerating). Harvard doesn't need to kowtow to alumni as much as a school like Miami, but they do anyway. Why? Because underneath the glitz, underneath the outstanding marketing, outside the high minded talk, Harvard is providing a product, a product that isn't all that different than what you'd get at UMiami, at the University of Florida, or thousands of other schools. The major difference is that the kid that sat next to me in English 101 at Miami was the child of a plastic surgeon, while at Harvard that kid may be a Kennedy. We need to stop bootlicking the institutions of the wealthy and ask why so many are afraid to admit the obvious.

55-60% of Harvard undergrads receive a financial aid package. The stereotype that all the student are sons and daughters of the elite is just that….a stereotype. Out of date by 100 years. Complete BS.

Two members of my extended family attended Harvard as undergrads. One came from a modestly affluent family that could afford the tuition. The other came from a blue collar family where no family member had ever been to college. That student received a scholarship, no loans and a 4 year job bussing tables in the dorm 15 hours per week. Was able to graduate in 4 years with zero debt and a great education among the smartest fellow students you could imagine.

Advertisement
Back