Alonzo HighSmith Joining Staff [Old thread, Rad says “not imminent”]

bringing this back up because of some recent Twitter chatter. In February, the OP cites Manny Navarro to suggest that Highsmith was joining the staff. Well, that didn't happen. Maybe it will after the draft.

@ Manny Navarro

John Candy Reaction GIF

Advertisement
55-60% of Harvard undergrads receive a financial aid package. The stereotype that all the student are sons and daughters of the elite is just that….a stereotype. Out of date by 100 years. Complete BS.

Two members of my extended family attended Harvard as undergrads. One came from a modestly affluent family that could afford the tuition. The other came from a blue collar family where no family member had ever been to college. That student received a scholarship, no loans and a 4 year job bussing tables in the dorm 15 hours per week. Was able to graduate in 4 years with zero debt and a great education among the smartest fellow students you could imagine.
You realize those FA numbers can easily be fudged, or aren't an indication of anything, right? There are plenty of people, that are upper middle class, whose kids end up getting FA, merely because 1)The school is expensive as **** and 2)What their parents do leads to little income. I work with hyper affluent clients, you'd be amazed how many of them skirt on the line of tax fraud, especially the ones whose jobs don't actually pay a salary, but they are loaded. There are a lot of high level execs, whose compensation structure makes it look like they make significantly less and the kid ends up getting a little FA, which in reality, they probably don't need. Don't forget about the kids that are part of big name families that may just be upper middle class, instead of wealthy. How many Kennedy kids have gotten that rub, despite them not being wealthy, but they are cousins to the Kennedy clan we all know?

The stat you should be looking at is how many Harvard kids are 1st and 2nd generation college students and as we've seen time and time again, those numbers are significantly lower than how many kids get a little FA from the government. It's not an accident that the Ivies draw the bulk of their student bodies from the same elite public and private institutions, with some diversity thrown in for marketing reasons. You really think that these kids, a significant percentage live in affluent zip codes are all working class? Of course not. Rich people don't get that way by spending their own money unless it's truly needed.

Last edited:
Not young, but mentioning that I was a Harvard grad helped open many doors for me.
With that said, there are not many individuals I have met that are not proud of the school they graduated from, and many on here are particularly proud of being a UM grad ( as they should be, I don't see why I should not be afforded the same courtesy.
236D3B7E-8987-4FBF-BE03-938EB1B78652.gif

@cway313 @Canedude08 @Rellyrell

You realize those FA numbers can easily be fudged, or aren't an indication of anything, right? There are plenty of people, that are upper middle class, whose kids end up getting FA, merely because 1)The school is expensive as **** and 2)What their parents do leads to little income. I work with hyper affluent clients, you'd be amazed how many of them skirt on the line of tax fraud, especially the ones whose jobs don't actually pay a salary, but they are loaded. There are a lot of high level execs, whose compensation structure makes it look like they make significantly less and the kid ends up getting a little FA, which in reality, they probably don't need. Don't forget about the kids that are part of big name families that may just be upper middle class, instead of wealthy. How many Kennedy kids have gotten that rub, despite them not being wealthy, but they are cousins to the Kennedy clan we all know?

The stat you should be looking at is how many Harvard kids are 1st and 2nd generation college students and as we've seen time and time again, those numbers are significantly lower than how many kids get a little FA from the government. It's not an accident that the Ivies draw the bulk of their student bodies from the same elite public and private institutions, with some diversity thrown in for marketing reasons. You really think that these kids, a significant percentage live in affluent zip codes are all working class? Of course not. Rich people don't get that way by spending their own money unless it's truly needed.
Sorry, you are just making **** up to fit your stereotypes and confirm your POV. As I recall, about 18% of Harvard undergrads are the first in their families to attend any college.

Advertisement
Sorry, you are just making **** up to fit your stereotypes and confirm your POV. As I recall, about 18% of Harvard undergrads are the first in their families to attend any college.
18% are first and second generation college kids, but well over half receive federal financial aid. That gap actually further makes my point.

Exactly; once I saw the documentary, I was like mother ********ers. The game is rigged.
“Legacy” entrants have been around forever. Especially for wealthy folks.

In all honesty, is getting into university that way any different than athletes getting into school and on full scholarship? How many of any UM recruiting class would be accepted based on academics, with a full ride academic scholarship?

I’ve no problem with any of this, by the way.

Advertisement
“Legacy” entrants have been around forever. Especially for wealthy folks.

In all honesty, is getting into university that way any different than athletes getting into school and on full scholarship? How many of any UM recruiting class would be accepted based on academics, with a full ride academic scholarship?

I’ve no problem with any of this, by the way.

These r two very different situations. There’s athletic scholarship & academic scholarships, both are earned. I’m not seeing how that relates to a kid who gets in to a prestigious school w/o the academic or athletic prerequisite to earn them an entrance. Furthermore, many are not legacy; they are kids born w/ a silver spoon in their mouths & the parents bribed the University via auxiliary “donations” to get their kid in.

Advertisement

Way way way off base with your concept of who gets Fa. We have a 1% metrics niece going thru admissions and scholarship process as we speak. And I went thru it with my two. People making over 100 000 with assets are not getting Fa period. May not even get merit scholarships in today's woke world.

Advertisement
No lies here; and from an academic standpoint, 1000’s of kids who’ve been accepted didn’t even qualify off grades, they qualified b/c of who their family are & how deep their pockets or status go.

Nuff said.

Way way way off base with your concept of who gets Fa. We have a 1% metrics niece going thru admissions and scholarship process as we speak. And I went thru it with my two. People making over 100 000 with assets are not getting Fa period. May not even get merit scholarships in today's woke world.
Harvard doesn't give merit aid, most Ivies don't. It's all economic based FA. Keep in mind, if you can fudge what your parents actually make(Or they do it anyway), you can make it seem as if you are significantly less well off than you truly are. Take it from someone that watched it happen. There are plenty of ways someone that is making 200k per year can appear to be making significantly less. If they wasn't the case, most of Harvard's student body wouldn't be getting FA, despite most of them living in affluent zip codes. They aren't getting merit aid, so there's only one other place to get it.

These r two very different situations. There’s athletic scholarship & academic scholarships, both are earned. I’m not seeing how that relates to a kid who gets in to a prestigious school w/o the academic or athletic prerequisite to earn them an entrance. Furthermore, many are not legacy; they are kids born w/ a silver spoon in their mouths & the parents bribed the University via auxiliary “donations” to get their kid in.
Solid points.

I’d be curious how many students gain admission and maintain their academic status to continue solely based on a donation. We both live in LA. How many students at USC, UCLA, and Loyola-Marymount are in this category?

I only refer to athletic scholarships since, and I think I’m being honest, many athletes wouldn’t qualify for admission if held to the same standards as a normal student. The recruit may be a decent-even-good student but without their athletic skills would not be sitting in English 101.

I’ve no problem this, it’s not a criticism. I believe opportunities afforded ‘student-athletes’ is a great service to both the individual and society. Any program allowing one to improve their lot in life is fine by me.

My only issue are programs with only a facade of the student portion of the student-athlete. The success of the football-basketball-whatever team is all that matters. The individual student-athlete is only a name on the roster, easily replaced.

Last edited:
Harvard doesn't give merit aid, most Ivies don't. It's all economic based FA. Keep in mind, if you can fudge what your parents actually make(Or they do it anyway), you can make it seem as if you are significantly less well off than you truly are. Take it from someone that watched it happen. There are plenty of ways someone that is making 200k per year can appear to be making significantly less. If they wasn't the case, most of Harvard's student body wouldn't be getting FA, despite most of them living in affluent zip codes. They aren't getting merit aid, so there's only one other place to get it.
There is more to the world than Harvard, I was talking about the larger landscape. If you really think families like mine, top 2% with significantl assets are hiding these for college admissions, smdh.

Advertisement
Back