Alonzo HighSmith Joining Staff [Old thread, Rad says “not imminent”]

Advertisement
Per Manny Navarro in this podcast - joining as GM type role. 53:35 mark.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...miami-hurricanes/id1477129308?i=1000551539504
IF this is true and it works....

HERE OUR CANES COME AGAIN!

Miami appears to be leapfrogging the rest of CFB in organizational structure. Whereas it's always been a "training ground" of sorts for NFL, maybe we are seeing an emergence of a GM-esque training platform as CFB programs implement a more NFL style model.

I remember CSI posters arguing with me saying we didn't need Zo. Oh well
Miami doesn't need Alonzo Highsmith.

With that said, having him on staff at the right time in the right role is going to pay great dividends.

This is no longer CFB D1P5, but rather independent NFL lower-tier operations.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Does he do stuff at mario’s direction? Is he an advisor? Did they share anything to clarify what it is he would say he will do here? Awesome, I just don’t understand the job.

Yeah, I'd like some more clarification on his role, unless "hire former player for ambiguous position" is now an annual tradition of ours.

Miami doesn't need Alonzo Highsmith.

With that said, having him on staff at the right time in the right role is going to pay great dividends.

This is no longer CFB D1P5, but rather independent NFL lower-tier operations.
This is like saying we don't need Charlie Strong because Steele is already a Lb coach. Like Harvard saying we don't need anymore smart people. Smart people don't move that way.

Yeah, I'd like some more clarification on his role, unless "hire former player for ambiguous position" is now an annual tradition of ours.
At this point the entire Athletic Department is in the process of being evaluated / restructured. There has been mention of a new range of services that will be provided to athletes after graduation ... from certain aspects of financial planning assistance, contacts for career enhancement, continuing education, endorsements, even up to the retirement planning facet of their careers. Alonzo, with his career and position as VP Player Personnel, has been involved in much more than simply recruiting and scouting, he has gotten involved with contracts, bonuses, financial planning, endorsements. Many of his activities / job skills will be transferrable to the Athletic Department ... whether he is just working with football or a broader range of sports. Big win for UM to have a legit professional management position for him. Shows the program is definitely growing.

Advertisement
You could ask that question of anyone in the football department. As a GM he could have many responsibilities including organizational, planning, personnel, finance, equipment, transportation and media activities. A GM makes sure all non coaching responsibilities as related to football are "cohesive" and making the Football program function better both on field and behind the scenes.
I don’t know anyone in the athletic department though, hence my inquiry on this board.

So does Alonzo have autonomous hire/fire decision making?

Last edited:
This is like saying we don't need Charlie Strong because Steele is already a Lb coach. Like Harvard saying we don't need anymore smart people. Smart people don't move that way.
It actually isn't all the same thing. As in not even close.

HC Mario has put together, by most accounts, a very strong staff.

Adding AH in the reported role makes for an interesting power dynamic between Rhad the Impaler, HC Super Mario, and Zo. This isn't aEO analyst, position coach, or coordinator.

THEORETICALLY, it's a position whereby HC Super Mario would be reporting to.

So, who are the direct reports between Rhad, Super Mario, and Zo?

I want to believe doubtful, but is this being setup like another wasted opportunity of "Chief of Staff" Ed Reed?

They do this right, I get a feeling Miami is back bïtches.

Do it wrong, we are in for a disaapointment.

Advertisement
D67778D3-7732-4F2E-8D44-42F8024E1B90.jpeg

Announcement coming soon

Last edited:
Advertisement
It actually isn't all the same thing. As in not even close.

HC Mario has put together, by most accounts, a very strong staff.

Adding AH in the reported role makes for an interesting power dynamic between Rhad the Impaler, HC Super Mario, and Zo. This isn't aEO analyst, position coach, or coordinator.

THEORETICALLY, it's a position whereby HC Super Mario would be reporting to.

So, who are the direct reports between Rhad, Super Mario, and Zo?

I want to believe doubtful, but is this being setup like another wasted opportunity of "Chief of Staff" Ed Reed?

They do this right, I get a feeling Miami is back bïtches.

Do it wrong, we are in for a disaapointment.
Just ask anyone in the athletic department, apparently.

Advertisement
Back