Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

Advertisement
Not a criticism of you, personally, but this is the problem when too many people put too much stock in a publicly-printed article. What was the alternative, that Navarro and Cristobal-friend Feldman say "Mario knew he was leaving Oregon in September, the entire 2021 season was a sham"? Yeah, that's not happening.

I don't know how to say this any other way. It was Mario or bust, but we weren't busting. Mario APPROACHED US IN SEPTEMBER. And as such, there was little chance of a "bust". Sure, it was POSSIBLE for Mario to change his mind, but after the whole Golden-Saban switcheroo, I never believed that Mario was going to do that to his alma mater a second time.

And I've said it before, even though there are some "I only believe what I read in the press" pooh-pooh'ers out there. In the remote chance that Mario chose to stay at Oregon, Miami would have hired an AD (likely Dan, but it could have been Tom Jurich) to come in and hire another guy to replace Manny.

That's fair. No offense taken by me. None of what you are saying actually contradicts the information read in that article. You are just providing more context to it which is appreciated.

Massive. More than massive. Amazing. We just hired one of the best talent evaluators on the planet, and he’s motivated, strongly motivated. This was the missing piece.

Now we have Butch level talent evaluation mixed with Mario and staff’s recruiting skills, we’re upgrading facilities, AND we’ve got a motivated billionaire

It’s like a perfect storm of good **** happening to us.

And this is why when people say they don’t want miami guys they aren’t wrong… buuutttt the miami guys have more than just a pay check in this. They live miami and will do anything for the canes. This is another example why “miami guys” are important

Yes.

And there are some Miami guys who attained great success, and some Miami guys who have not.

But "Miami guys" will give their left nuts (and possibly their rights as well) in an effort to help Miami succeed. Which is more than we can say for "flirting with Ped State" Al Golden. Or resume-builder/tumbling-tumbleweed Lane Kiffin.

Advertisement
I am finding it funny that all the "Cast a wider net! We dont have to always go for Miami guys" crowd have been very silent the last few months. Funny how that works out though. Lol. Mario and Alonzo are the blueprint for what a "Miami guy" is. Doesnt get more Miami than those two.

****, I can forgive the "we don't have to always go for Miami guys" crowd.

But the "we cannot hire a single person with any Miami connections whatsoever" crowd can EAD. EAAIDAD.

And this is why when people say they don’t want miami guys they aren’t wrong… buuutttt the miami guys have more than just a pay check in this. They live miami and will do anything for the canes. This is another example why “miami guys” are important

Never been opposed to 'Miami guys' the trouble is the Miami guys we've gone with before were severely under qualified (aside from Richt, but he had both feet in retirement). Now we have highly to overly qualified people in place who also happen to be Miami guys. Love it.

No disrespect to Zo but its funny to me how my expectations of the program has changed over the past few months. Zo was once the whole cake for me and now he's just the cherry on top. If we hired zo this time last year I'd be going to the bar to celebrate and now I'm just like "great news"

I am finding it funny that all the "Cast a wider net! We dont have to always go for Miami guys" crowd have been very silent the last few months. Funny how that works out though. Lol. Mario and Alonzo are the blueprint for what a "Miami guy" is. Doesnt get more Miami than those two.
Theres a difference between miami guys & proven miami guys. Mario & Zo have been successful in other places. I think that’s more so what people mean. At least it’s what I mean when I say it.

Advertisement
I don't care if it's a Miami guy or not, as long as it's the right guy. There are plenty of Miami guys that I want nowhere near the program, no matter how beloved they are. Same line of thinking goes to recruiting. Who cares if they're a legacy if they can't play. I'm not a fan of throwing bones just to throw bones.

That said, great hire. I know I should temper expectations, but I haven't felt this excited about the program in a looong while.

denzel washington GIF
I see ur on point huh? U caught Dat (Pause) MY *****
That's my favorite movie of all time I know that **** word for word. I don't even know my second favorite movie word for word. But I know this one....

Advertisement
Advertisement
When people lobbied for Zo to get the AD job I thought they were bat sh*t crazy. However this gig which is basically nothing more than a consultant for Mario fits perfectly. This is a great hire not because Zo is a former player but rather he has experience in this capacity.
The announcement didn't sound like a consultant role with no authority.

Are we (ok me) missing something?

Advertisement
Back