Alonzo’s hand in building the roster

I read a thread by @24/7canes and it made me start thinking of how this team was put together and it looks like it was done by a real professional, well….because it was. Alonzo has been involved in scouting , evaluating and having a hand in building of rosters for decades. This wasn’t some made up position to bring a former great home , just to help lead him into the pasture , for a retirement where it all started.

Earlier in the year I mentioned i expected him to have a much bigger say in the acquisition of talent in the upcoming months and it’s showing.

The portal was put together like an NFL roster. From front line guys like Cohen, Lee, J Davis , Deen to role player like Harrell ,Richard , Allen Cloyd and McCormick. **** even Gore played big minutes late because of injuries and most people here laughed at that take. All of them will have a hand in this season and most had a hand in yesterdays win.

So in one offseason we added key starters , rotation guys and depth pieces on top of a huge recruiting class , loaded talent completely flipping the entire roster.

Which leads me to the last area Zo plays a huge role “ identifying talent “. In this class we’ve jumped on nobody’s or under the radar recruits before most programs , being the first offer for a handful of them. We now have big boy evaluating going on and it’s showing.

I’ve been saying for years if your staff can’t evaluate down here you’re destined to fail. There’s a bunch of get out of jail free cards for your class down here if you miss on top guys. You just have to find them. I trust Zo will.

I just thought he deserved a shout out especially when it’s obvious his finger prints are all over this roster.
1694391013959.jpeg

Advertisement
I read a thread by @24/7canes and it made me start thinking of how this team was put together and it looks like it was done by a real professional, well….because it was. Alonzo has been involved in scouting , evaluating and having a hand in building of rosters for decades. This wasn’t some made up position to bring a former great home , just to help lead him into the pasture , for a retirement where it all started.

Earlier in the year I mentioned i expected him to have a much bigger say in the acquisition of talent in the upcoming months and it’s showing.

The portal was put together like an NFL roster. From front line guys like Cohen, Lee, J Davis , Deen to role player like Harrell ,Richard , Allen Cloyd and McCormick. **** even Gore played big minutes late because of injuries and most people here laughed at that take. All of them will have a hand in this season and most had a hand in yesterdays win.

So in one offseason we added key starters , rotation guys and depth pieces on top of a huge recruiting class , loaded talent completely flipping the entire roster.

Which leads me to the last area Zo plays a huge role “ identifying talent “. In this class we’ve jumped on nobody’s or under the radar recruits before most programs , being the first offer for a handful of them. We now have big boy evaluating going on and it’s showing.

I’ve been saying for years if your staff can’t evaluate down here you’re destined to fail. There’s a bunch of get out of jail free cards for your class down here if you miss on top guys. You just have to find them. I trust Zo will.

I just thought he deserved a shout out especially when it’s obvious his finger prints are all over this roster.
And this is the very essence of "The Plan". There is more to it of course but the above is key.

Advertisement
Also offers validity and credibility to the “questionable” takes people have been groaning about on the line this season.
They should have more trust there at OL yes but also they’ve whiffed on every top OL target and that shouldn’t be ignored. They’re suppose to get a combination of some proven guys and developmental guys like they did last year, even if it’s not as high at the top.

Same thing with QB on a different level. Even if Judd turns out to be Pat Mahomes down the road, he’s supposed to be a QB 2 type you develop over time while QB1 is more ready now and has been vetted in camps and games and ranked accordingly. So in an ideal situation, we have an Air Noland or Lagway type and a Judd.

Yes sir.

Star rankings matter but it’s not the end all especially when your program is located in south Florida. If you can evaluate you can steal 5-6 underrated studs a class .
This this and this. Stars do matter but up to a point. All great classes and teams also bring in some “underrated” recruits that end up being better than what some recruiting sites say.
Again if the NFL, which spends a 100 times more and has better resources to evaluate a smaller pool of draft prospects and only the great teams are successful at 40% at best in drafting successfully, college is even less, regardless of what sites say.

You have stated this and it has been said before by others, a major difference is the body types they are bringing in. Whether they are highly rated or “low” rated look at the body types and athletic profiles they are bringing in now, Anez Cooper is a perfect example, It is a night and day difference. There are exceptions to this profile always, but now those exceptions are because the recruit will have an elite trait.

Too many times, including last year, we would go up against teams like 8&4 or Clemson etc and just physically we looked inferior, they always looked physically smaller. This year when we played Mia of Ohio was the first time I saw is line up and see that we were the bigger team, that it looked like man vs boys. Against 8&4 was the first time that we looked their equal physically. This was my hope when we brought Zo in, providing that aspect of scouting and talent acquisition and marrying that with Mario’s recruiting prowess, to go along with the investment from our quiet supporters.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back