Alonzo’s hand in building the roster

Kind of OT, mainly cos we benefit from it, but the one thing I hate about the Transfer Portal is the bigger teams cherry picking good players from smaller teams - like us with Lee and Alabama with Gibbs last year.

It must be soul crushing to be further down the food chain having recruited and coached up these lower-ranked players, only to see them hoovered up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Aside from the freaky TAM WR's, you would have thought Miami was the much more talented 5 star team. I know we've closed the gap recruiting wise but we are still 1-2 classes away from having the blue chip ratio we want. None of those 5 star TAM defensive lineman really showed me anything.

I read a thread by @24/7canes and if made me start thinking of how this team was put together and it looks like it was done by a real professional, well….because it was. Alonzo has been involved in scouting , evaluating and having a hand in building rosters for decades. This wasn’t some made up position to bring a former great home , just to help lead him into the pasture for a retirement where it all started.

Earlier in the year I mentioned i expected him to have a much bigger say in the acquisition of talent in the upcoming months and it’s showing.

The portal was put together like an NFL roster. From front line guys like Cohen, Lee, J Davis , Deen to role player like Harrell ,Richard , Allen Cloyd and McCormick. **** even Gore played big minutes late because of injuries and most people here laughed at that take. All of them will have a hand in this season and most had a hand in yesterdays win.

So in one offseason we added key starters , rotation guys and depth pieces on top of a huge recruiting class loaded talent completing flipping the entire roster.

Which leads me to the last area Zo plays a huge role “ identifying talent “. In this class we’ve jumped on nobody’s or under the radar recruits before most programs , being the first offer for a handful of them. We now have big boy evaluating going on and it’s showing.

I’ve been saying for years if your staff can’t evaluate down here you’re destined to fail. There’s a bunch of get out of jail free cards for your class down here if you miss on top guys. You just have to find them. I trust Zo will.

I just thought he deserved a shout out especially when it’s obvious his finger prints are all over this roster.
Great point and he definitely has his imprint on what's going on. Remember seeing him the Sunday after the FSU debacle at Hole in the wall and he said verbatim, "I promise you, next year, you will see a completely different team and mentality." Maybe he's backing it up.

Advertisement
I read a thread by @24/7canes and if made me start thinking of how this team was put together and it looks like it was done by a real professional, well….because it was. Alonzo has been involved in scouting , evaluating and having a hand in building rosters for decades. This wasn’t some made up position to bring a former great home , just to help lead him into the pasture for a retirement where it all started.

Earlier in the year I mentioned i expected him to have a much bigger say in the acquisition of talent in the upcoming months and it’s showing.

The portal was put together like an NFL roster. From front line guys like Cohen, Lee, J Davis , Deen to role player like Harrell ,Richard , Allen Cloyd and McCormick. **** even Gore played big minutes late because of injuries and most people here laughed at that take. All of them will have a hand in this season and most had a hand in yesterdays win.

So in one offseason we added key starters , rotation guys and depth pieces on top of a huge recruiting class loaded talent completing flipping the entire roster.

Which leads me to the last area Zo plays a huge role “ identifying talent “. In this class we’ve jumped on nobody’s or under the radar recruits before most programs , being the first offer for a handful of them. We now have big boy evaluating going on and it’s showing.

I’ve been saying for years if your staff can’t evaluate down here you’re destined to fail. There’s a bunch of get out of jail free cards for your class down here if you miss on top guys. You just have to find them. I trust Zo will.

I just thought he deserved a shout out especially when it’s obvious his finger prints are all over this roster.
Thanks For posting....

I agree with evaluation part of recruiting. Sometimes having all those 4-5 stars just isn't the be all, end all. You need to see if this kid fits what your program's DNA and culture you are building is right. Is he a dog? Is he entitled? Will he work? can he be coached up? Can we forecast him as a contributor for or team? Will he blend or distract in the locker room? ... you know **** like that...

Our Downfall, started with Coker recruiting off the Rivals top 100 and being lazy....

Hopefully we never get back to that way again...

JC

Aside from the freaky TAM WR's, you would have thought Miami was the much more talented 5 star team. I know we've closed the gap recruiting wise but we are still 1-2 classes away from having the blue chip ratio we want. None of those 5 star TAM defensive lineman really showed me anything.
coaching matters

Thanks For posting....

I agree with evaluation part of recruiting. Sometimes having all those 4-5 stars just isn't the be all, end all. You need to see if this kid fits what your program's DNA and culture you are building is right. Is he a dog? Is he entitled? Will he work? can he be coached up? Can we forecast him as a contributor for or team? Will he blend or distract in the locker room? ... you know **** like that...

Our Downfall, started with Coker recruiting off the Rivals top 100 and being lazy....

Hopefully we never get back to that way again...

JC
I think now more than any other year you need a mixture of raw athlete types that will come in with a chip on their shoulder to push guys. They may need coaching or a tad under sized but are really good athletes with tools. With the NIL you can start to load the roster with entitled guys who’s gotten their money and won’t put in the work. Imo 20-25 percent of your roster should be the hungry guys with a chip.

Advertisement
I think now more than any other year you need a mixture of raw athlete types that will come in with a chip on their shoulder to push guys. They may need coaching or a tad under sized but are really good athletes with tools. With the NIL you can start to load the roster with entitled guys who’s gotten their money and won’t put in the work. Imo 20-25 percent of your roster should be the hungry guys with a chip.
Agreed....... and Quite Frankly the bolded part is what has always made Miami great pre - 2003...

JC

Advertisement
Naw they were effective against the run. We didn't crack a hundred yards rushing. Our OLine stonewalled them in pass protection tho.

Advertisement
Back