Alonzo’s hand in building the roster

Cribby

All-American
Premium
I read a thread by @24/7canes and it made me start thinking of how this team was put together and it looks like it was done by a real professional, well….because it was. Alonzo has been involved in scouting , evaluating and having a hand in building of rosters for decades. This wasn’t some made up position to bring a former great home , just to help lead him into the pasture , for a retirement where it all started.

Earlier in the year I mentioned i expected him to have a much bigger say in the acquisition of talent in the upcoming months and it’s showing.

The portal was put together like an NFL roster. From front line guys like Cohen, Lee, J Davis , Deen to role player like Harrell ,Richard , Allen Cloyd and McCormick. **** even Gore played big minutes late because of injuries and most people here laughed at that take. All of them will have a hand in this season and most had a hand in yesterdays win.

So in one offseason we added key starters , rotation guys and depth pieces on top of a huge recruiting class , loaded talent completely flipping the entire roster.

Which leads me to the last area Zo plays a huge role “ identifying talent “. In this class we’ve jumped on nobody’s or under the radar recruits before most programs , being the first offer for a handful of them. We now have big boy evaluating going on and it’s showing.

I’ve been saying for years if your staff can’t evaluate down here you’re destined to fail. There’s a bunch of get out of jail free cards for your class down here if you miss on top guys. You just have to find them. I trust Zo will.

I just thought he deserved a shout out especially when it’s obvious his finger prints are all over this roster.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I definitely forget about Zo's impact at times, but your point is valid. I saw Gore in on the DL yesterday getting snaps and thought to myself "he's small, but he's holding up.. even in a GL stand situation". I saw 8th year SR, Cam McCormick and was just grateful he's here making plays downfield after handling his blocking so well

Honestly, I was crediting Mario and his network of friends, former colleagues, etc. But I wasn't crediting our actual GM, Mr. Alonzo Highsmith. This is a well-deserved recognition post

I remember scratching my head when we took Cam Macormick.

I’m [foolish]. That dude is awesome.
c9de0699-9b92-4d44-9916-f24ab7c238e4_text.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember scratching my head when we took Cam Macormick.

I’m [foolish]. That dude is awesome.
People mocked him and the Davis take but role guys and team guys are very important. Cam isn’t as **** as say Skinmer looking like a gazelle running down the seam but Cam does so much more. Including actually catching the ball when asked. He does all the dirty work because most kids don’t like that stuff. But then again he’s not a kid lol. All jokes aside him and Davis were monster adds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
People mocked him and the Davis take but role guys and team guys are very important. Cam isn’t as **** as say Skinmer looking like a gazelle running down the seam but Cam does so much more. Including actually catching the ball when asked. He does all the dirty work because most kids don’t like that stuff. But then again he’s not a kid lol. All jokes aside him and Davis were monster adds.

Davis was hitting Aggies like they owed him money and told him they weren't paying it back.

Great point. IDK if Alonzo had a role in helping Mario change the oc and dc and in getting these outstanding guys, but he is doing the work.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is what Miami was up against yesterday (click the list to continue seeing more 5 stars).They completelt dominated this talent. Stewart had ONE tackle. Mario's OL beat their DL to a pulp. All those big time five stars but at the end of the day, identifying talent and developing them is the most
important thing. **** of a job by Zo/ Mario

Davis was hitting Aggies like they owed him money and told him they weren't paying it back.
Definitely agree…..he displayed the definition of “chip on the shoulder”. Most don’t understand the unseen boost players get from being home and playing in front of family and friends. Sh*t hits different for some…..as @DMoney said, “he wanted to be a cane” and it clearly shows. Playing in front of a lot of fans is great Bt playing at home (especially after you actually experienced going away) for YOUR TEAM AND YOUR PPL…..yea nothing like it.

Advertisement
Back