Almost sure Jimmy went 6-6 his first year and the rest is history.

Advertisement
Good grief, most of us know this UM history by now—but if you don't and want to thread-start, look it up:

Jimmy went 8-5 and opened his career with a takedown of #1 Auburn in the Kickoff Classic, beat #17 Florida the next week and then fell at #14 Michigan and home against #15 Florida State weeks later. Won five in a row and was 8-2 before the wheels fell off with a few pretty iconic losses; Maryland (blew a a 31-0 halftime lead, lost 42-40), Boston College (Hail Flutie) and wrong side of a Fiesta Bowl shootout against UCLA.

Would've backdoored into a title year two, winning out after losing to Florida in the opener—but #2 Miami was throttled 35-7 by #8 Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl. Oklahoma won the title (who Miami beat during the regular season, by beating undefeated Penn State in the Orange Bowl.)

Lost the title game in year three, as well—1986—with the infamous Fiesta Bowl debacle against Penn State. Finally won it all year four, took the Dallas job after the 1988 season—his final words to his one-loss Canes, "Beat Notre Dame" as the refs stole a shot at another title with a bogus call in South Bend during the season.

What any of this has to do with Mario Cristobal's legacy at Miami is nil, but at least now you know JJ's history at UM.

Good grief, most of us know this UM history by now—but if you don't and want to thread-start, look it up:

Jimmy went 8-5 and opened his career with a takedown of #1 Auburn in the Kickoff Classic, beat #17 Florida the next week and then fell at #14 Michigan and home against #15 Florida State weeks later. Won five in a row and was 8-2 before the wheels fell off with a few pretty iconic losses; Maryland (blew a a 31-0 halftime lead, lost 42-40), Boston College (Hail Flutie) and wrong side of a Fiesta Bowl shootout against UCLA.

Would've backdoored into a title year two, winning out after losing to Florida in the opener—but #2 Miami was throttled 35-7 by #8 Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl. Oklahoma won the title (who Miami beat during the regular season, by beating undefeated Penn State in the Orange Bowl.)

Lost the title game in year three, as well—1986—with the infamous Fiesta Bowl debacle against Penn State. Finally won it all year four, took the Dallas job after the 1988 season—his final words to his one-loss Canes, "Beat Notre Dame" as the refs stole a shot at another title with a bogus call in South Bend during the season.

What any of this has to do with Mario Cristobal's legacy at Miami is nil, but at least now you know JJ's history at UM.

This is the same (original) porster who wanted to challenge me to some sort of thread/conversation about UM football history/knowledge.

It wouldn't even be a contest. I would destroy him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This would be an interesting factoid, if true.

Unfortunately, Tom Olivadotti resigned from the University of Miami when JJ got the job. In fact, ol' Tom was the one who kept picking up his keys and dropping them loudly during JJ's initial address to the Schnellenberger holdover coaches.

It's also possible that you have conflated "the Maryland QB [who] threw that Hail Mary to beat us" with BC QB Doug Flutie. In the Maryland game, the Terps scored on a running play to take a 42-40 lead, and even worse, they got the ball back and were inside of our 5 yard line about to make it 49-40 when Reich took a knee to end the game.

Bill Trout was the DC in 1984. Maybe he's the one who was walking down from the booth during Hail Flutie, but it sure as **** wasn't Tom Olivadotti.
Jerome was being held the ENTIRE game...I've spoke to Butch about this game ad nauseum. He said JJ blasted the refs all game because of it. On the final play you can see JB being held, & taken to the ground. If not, he destroys Flutie.

Relax, most people on this board weren't even on born when the Erickson fireworks were going off..

I wasn't born when Jimi Hendrix played "Woodstock" but I saw the footage and was able to assess he a guitar wizard.
The 1980's were the hey-day of Miami football. If you're a fan of this program, whatever age, all of that information and history is out there.

****, ESPN had two 30-For-30's and a masterclass on this program that are both available online. Literally covers the 70's to the 10's. One can be a expert on this program in a matter of hours if they literally watch that footage.

This is the same porster who wanted to challenge me to some sort of thread/conversation about UM football history/knowledge.

I never challenged you to a thing. What are you even talking about? Having a duel about Canes' history? Sounds like a great use of time.

Advertisement
He's talking about the OP and his moronic misinformation.

Gotcha. Appreciate the clarification. Thought I was being confused with someone else.

Seems very on-brand that someone starting a nonsensical thread would also be the one challenging a knowledgeable fan to a Cane-off.

Welcome to football fandom in 2022. Yay!

Advertisement
OP.....They finna drag you...but you're 100% correct, and although very unpopular, I'll ride with you on this one....and here's why....

Before anyone drags OP...what's your opinion of the thought below...

If CIS were a thing during Jimmy Johnsons 1st year...what would the CIS reactions have been with him finishing 6-6 in Year 1?....

Advertisement
Once again, you prove your ignorance.

Jimmy opened the year 8-2 before the second half collapse to Maryland/Frank Reich, the Hail Flutie game, and the UCLA bowl loss.

So, yeah, 8-5 isn't 6-6. JJ went 8-4, 10-1, and 11-0 in the regular season his first three years, while losing all 3 bowl games. He finally had his breakthrough in Year 4.

You are completely clueless about "how JJ did it". He inherited a ton of talent from Howard and added to it. The most important thing that JJ did on his own at Miami was to build a great coaching staff separate from what Schenllenberger left behind.

Your posts are terrible. Post less.
Sorry but I started off saying I wasn’t sure. Funny a lot of my posts get a tremendous amount of likes. Why Original Cane do you make reply posts to my horrible posts if you hate them so much seems a bit odd🤔

OP.....They finna drag you...but you're 100% correct, and although very unpopular, I'll ride with you on this one....and here's why....

Before anyone drags OP...what's your opinion of the thought below...

If CIS were a thing during Jimmy Johnsons 1st year...what would the CIS reactions have been with him finishing 6-6 in Year 1?....

Well, since it never happened, I don't give a ****e. ****, while you're at it, let's hypothesize "What If's" about JJ going 0-12 in Year 1. What is this, Marvel Comics?

Let's not pretend like the internet coincided with the invention of fan dissatisfaction. I enrolled at UM in 1986, there were plenty of fans who were ****ed off at JJ over the way that the 1984 and 1985 seasons ended. People were already talking about how JJ "couldn't win the big one" after only 2 years.

The internet simply provides a forum for idiot fans to congregate and concentrate their stupidity and hatred, and for clueless individuals to start threads under the mistaken belief that their opinions are unique and accurate and insightful (because mommy never told them otherwise).

Exhibit A is any thread started by @Cane since 1060 .

This is the same (original) porster who wanted to challenge me to some sort of thread/conversation about UM football history/knowledge.

OriginalCane You do remember Charlie Tate ? If so and if you didn’t it would show your not who you think you are. What strategy did he often employ on 3rd down ?

Advertisement
Back