All time “What may have been” Team

Advertisement
Eh, not really getting then point of this thread.

Listing a lot of players who got injured but still made it to the league, won nattys and Super Bowls, etc. I’m not seeing that as a “what could have been” or “never reached their full potential.”

Dudes like Willie Williams, OTOH…now there’s wasted potential that you’ve gotta wonder what coulda been if he’d had even an ounce of common sense.

Advertisement
QB - Kyle Wright

Still one of the highest rated prospects in the history of 247 sports.

Four offensive coordinators and two head coaches during his five years on campus. IMO Kyle Wright is the epitome of what may have been.

This was my first thought. Beat to **** behind a pour out OL and too many different systems.

Michael smith - LB. 90s guy.

arguably one of the most talented LBs we’ve ever had here. He had a horrible knee injury in college - was never quite right.
Great call

One of the bigger UM LBers at the time standing at 6'3. In fact when he signed I thought he would be turned into a DE since UM was a stickler for turning the taller LBers into DE.

OLM Caesar O'neal a mountain of a recruit at 6'8 and well over 300 lbs. UM recruited him out of Huntsville, Texas. Turned his back on Texas A&M and signed with the UM. IIRC, he was USA today first team AA which was as high of a honor a recruit could receive at that time. Cancer was detected in fall camp 92 and he never played.. Passed away in 95.

Great call

One of the bigger UM LBers at the time standing at 6'3. In fact when he signed I thought he would be turned into a DE since UM was a stickler for turning the taller LBers into DE.

OLM Caesar O'neal a mountain of a recruit at 6'8 and well over 300 lbs. UM recruited him out of Huntsville, Texas. Turned his back on Texas A&M and signed with the UM. IIRC, he was USA today first team AA which was as high of a honor a recruit could receive at that time. Cancer was detected in fall camp 92 and he never played.. Passed away in 95.

glad to see another old head. I remember O’Neal - he had loads of medical issues. I used to frequent the practice field often back during that time since my good friend was a ball boy for the team. I recall going into the lockeroom and seeing O’Neal lying on the floor with an IV. :(

but you’re right, big time prep kid and we signed him kind of out of nowhere.

as for smith, yeah, probably the tallest LB we’ve had here (chase smith is very similar to him, ironically) and MS’s injury was supposedly one of the worst people had ever seen. He was a 6-3, 225 kind of guy who can run like a WR and big time recruit.

Advertisement
QB - Kyle Wright

Still one of the highest rated prospects in the history of 247 sports.

Four offensive coordinators and two head coaches during his five years on campus. IMO Kyle Wright is the epitome of what may have been.

We’ll need a full roster if we’re adding guys who never realized their potential bc of coaching/coaching changes.

Don't forget about the college hall of fame talent that sadly departed way too early. Dude was violent and fluid. I remember the quotes: "Are you practicing as hard as Eddie Johnson?"

1628699814717.png

Advertisement
Perhaps Gore had less than stellar numbers at UM but he is one of the most durable and productive backs in UM history. Not sure how he made the list.
I've talked about it before. As great as Frank was and is, he was never the same after he blew the first knee. He's an NFL legend for his longevity and production, but if he doesn't blow the knee out (twice) he's in the Barry Sanders/Bo Jackson category.

Advertisement
I've talked about it before. As great as Frank was and is, he was never the same after he blew the first knee. He's an NFL legend for his longevity and production, but if he doesn't blow the knee out (twice) he's in the Barry Sanders/Bo Jackson category
Hyperbole.

There are levels to this.. Two good knees or not.

Hyperbole.

There are levels to this.. Two good knees or not.
What's hyperbole? Anyone who saw him extensively at Gables High or wants to go back and watch his freshman UM highlights realizes as great as his career has been, it would have been that much better had he not blown out his knees.

On topic: RJ Macintosh just released by Giants. Have to think the health issues derailed him.

Advertisement
Back